Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

If I ever see the PO again, I'm going to .......

996 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Relicmoto 
#1 ·
..... steal every friggin' electrical tool from his tool box!!!

Some people should never touch anything that contains COPPER! Apparently, when the PO of my Wrangler replaced the starter solenoid some time back, he didn't like the way the wires were run by the factory so he wrapped them around the solenoid. Most likely in an effort to keep them out of the way. This made the primary loom sit ON TOP of the starter solenoid and rub the insulation off two of the main wires for the solenoid causing just a MINOR short between the battery and the starter solenoid.

This short could have easily caught the entire Jeep on fire!!!! FYI, and FWIW, take a moment and look at the loom running from the outboard side of your battery, under the battery tray, and past the starter solenoid to make sure that the loom is not using the starter solenoid as a support.

Left side is the "before" showing the wires wrapped around the solenoid in such a way that you could barely even tell the solenoid was there.

Right side shows the "after" to where you can now clearly see the ignition circuit connectors connected to the top of the solenoid

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Some just have no idea what they are doing but if it works they are happy. You got lucky and found it. Good work thanks for posting for everyone to look at and learn.

#9 ·
When I bought mine, it came with a complete set of Factory Service Manuals. As soon as I got them home I realized they were all spotlessly clean and unused.

:confused::confused:

Then I found all the receipts for everything they paid to have done; it was great to buy an unmolested Jeep! :laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.