If I ever see the PO again, I'm going to ....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > If I ever see the PO again, I'm going to .......

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-16-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

If I ever see the PO again, I'm going to .......

..... steal every friggin' electrical tool from his tool box!!!

Some people should never touch anything that contains COPPER! Apparently, when the PO of my Wrangler replaced the starter solenoid some time back, he didn't like the way the wires were run by the factory so he wrapped them around the solenoid. Most likely in an effort to keep them out of the way. This made the primary loom sit ON TOP of the starter solenoid and rub the insulation off two of the main wires for the solenoid causing just a MINOR short between the battery and the starter solenoid.

This short could have easily caught the entire Jeep on fire!!!! FYI, and FWIW, take a moment and look at the loom running from the outboard side of your battery, under the battery tray, and past the starter solenoid to make sure that the loom is not using the starter solenoid as a support.

Left side is the "before" showing the wires wrapped around the solenoid in such a way that you could barely even tell the solenoid was there.

Right side shows the "after" to where you can now clearly see the ignition circuit connectors connected to the top of the solenoid

solenoids.jpg  

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Some just have no idea what they are doing but if it works they are happy. You got lucky and found it. Good work thanks for posting for everyone to look at and learn.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
YJ475
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Not to hijack your post, but well, to hijack your post, it seems like this could make a pretty fun sticky.
YJ475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:55 PM   #4
90DesertTanYJ
1990 YJ Wrangler 

OMG dont even let me get started on POs. With the title of your post I was thinking "If I ever see the PO......I am gonna knock the crap outa him" kinda deal.
90DesertTanYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:21 PM   #5
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

..... Shake his hand. Because I now CLEARLY know what NOT to do to my YJ.

Sent from my phone because I'm doing something "more important"

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
omegacab
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ475 View Post
Not to hijack your post, but well, to hijack your post, it seems like this could make a pretty fun sticky.
Lol that's what i was thinking.
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I ever see the po, I'll ask him kindly why he didn't love his jeep as much as the owner before him did. All problems I've found stem from his jankey "upgrades" but all mods he didn't take credit for are solid, well done upgrades. Makes me sick some days.
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #8
custom86
1994 YJ Wrangler 

if I ever see the po im going to take every can of spray foam I can find in his garage and start filling all his "rust holes" I mean really who puts spray foam inside the rear frame rails?
custom86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #9
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought mine, it came with a complete set of Factory Service Manuals. As soon as I got them home I realized they were all spotlessly clean and unused.

Then I found all the receipts for everything they paid to have done; it was great to buy an unmolested Jeep!
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #10
Relicmoto
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EABiker View Post
When I bought mine, it came with a complete set of Factory Service Manuals. As soon as I got them home I realized they were all spotlessly clean and unused.

Then I found all the receipts for everything they paid to have done; it was great to buy an unmolested Jeep!
When everything turns to crap, and we go all Donnor party, guess who's first!
Relicmoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.