If I crack open the top of my Weber carb, my idle issue disappears??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > If I crack open the top of my Weber carb, my idle issue disappears???

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-17-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
unlucky
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I crack open the top of my Weber carb, my idle issue disappears???

I've been struggling with this carb for a while now.

So far, I've fixed a big air leak on the adapter plates. Also found where the PO put a homemade gasket in the choke diaphragm, which was causing a leak there as well. I also had some float issues and was starving for gas. I'm really surprised this thing even ran.

But I still have an intermittent idle issue. Sometimes, when I start the engine, it idles great. I can turn it off and turn it back on and sometimes it will idle great, sometimes it won't. It's definitely a lean issue because if I cover the intake with my hand or with the choke plates, it idles smooth.

Well, this afternoon I was checking the bowl level, again, and happened to lift the top cover off the carb as it was running to make sure I was getting good fuel. It instantly started running better.

If I put it back on, it still wouldn't idle great, but at least it wasn't dying. I put it on and off a few times and sometimes it would idle better when I put it back on, but it always runs better when it's off.

So I checked the power valve and it will not hold vacuum when I push it and close off the port. I just ordered a new one. Is there anything else that would be affected when I crack open the top of the carb??

unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #2
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
I've been struggling with this carb for a while now.

So far, I've fixed a big air leak on the adapter plates. Also found where the PO put a homemade gasket in the choke diaphragm, which was causing a leak there as well. I also had some float issues and was starving for gas. I'm really surprised this thing even ran.

But I still have an intermittent idle issue. Sometimes, when I start the engine, it idles great. I can turn it off and turn it back on and sometimes it will idle great, sometimes it won't. It's definitely a lean issue because if I cover the intake with my hand or with the choke plates, it idles smooth.

Well, this afternoon I was checking the bowl level, again, and happened to lift the top cover off the carb as it was running to make sure I was getting good fuel. It instantly started running better.

If I put it back on, it still wouldn't idle great, but at least it wasn't dying. I put it on and off a few times and sometimes it would idle better when I put it back on, but it always runs better when it's off.

So I checked the power valve and it will not hold vacuum when I push it and close off the port. I just ordered a new one. Is there anything else that would be affected when I crack open the top of the carb??
what carb do you have?
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:26 AM   #3
unlucky
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Weber 32/36 DGEV
Unread 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
unlucky
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone? I just got done rebuilding/cleaning my carb with a major kit (including viton needle valve and new power valve). It didn't change a thing.

But still, if I crack open the top half of the carb it runs great and will continue to run great after I close it back up for a few seconds. Then it starts getting rough again until I crack it open for a second. It makes a pretty loud hissing noise when I do this.
Unread 07-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #5
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlucky View Post
Anyone? I just got done rebuilding/cleaning my carb with a major kit (including viton needle valve and new power valve). It didn't change a thing.

But still, if I crack open the top half of the carb it runs great and will continue to run great after I close it back up for a few seconds. Then it starts getting rough again until I crack it open for a second. It makes a pretty loud hissing noise when I do this.
I'm not familiar with weber carbs but it sounds like something still isn't quite right. The hiss noise is a clue that its looking for air somewhere. Also the way it ran better with the lid off. So maybe its too rich in the idle circuit with the lid on. You might want to pull it down again with another kit. I used to use old guitar strings to clean out the crud from all the tiny holes and passages on chevy carbs. Maybe that would work for you too.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #6
unlucky
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Question:

If I cover the primary choke plate opening, it runs better. If I cover the secondary only, it doesn't change anything.

Is the secondary idle circuit supposed to dump fuel in during idle or is it only the primary? Because I don't think my secondary is dumping any fuel in at idle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.