Idoling problem HELP - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idoling problem HELP

1996-1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelBead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday Sale

Unread 12-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
ClayJohnson
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Idoling problem HELP

So my jeep will bassicly not idle unless I rev it non stop, once I stop revving it the jeep will turn off completely. I thought It was a carborator problem, like it had to be clean really well or something but I took it into a jeep, dodge, and Chrysler dealership and they said I need a whole new motor and carborator. I told my friend that I needed a new motor and he thinks I dont and I need to get my carb clean! Idk someone try to help me please! To be honest I don't know a lot about jeeps with motors and everything like that hah.

ClayJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 04:31 AM   #2
xeroid81
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I would suggest getting in touch with one of the clubs in your area,listed on this forum.Before a dealer tells me I need a new engine he'd better tell me what's wrong with the old one first.Lack of mechanical knowledge is one thing but trusting a dealer who makes a statement like that is inexcusable. Try another dealer or get in touch with one of the afformentioned clubs.Have you checked the Q AND A section for some tips?
xeroid81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The carburetor is a high maintenance item, that is one reason all car makers now use fuel injection.

No way to tell what is wrong with your setup, but most likely it just needs to be repaired back to factory specs.

There are very few mechanics working today that are skilled at carburetor maintenance. In your case, a complete inspection of the engine is called for.

Start with a compression check.

Check that the computer controls are all installed and functioning properly.

Check for vacuum leaks on intake, carb, and vacuum system.

Check slack in timing chain. Much over 6 degrees calls for new timing chain and gears.

Check for last known tuneup, if unknown , do a complete tuneup including filters.

If carb will not adjust, overhaul it or replace with new. In Ca, you are limited to OEM carb or fuel injection upgrade.

You may have something minor, or it may need a lot of work, only a real inspection will tell you.

Expect to pay $500 or more for a detailed inspection and tune up, labor is very expensive, and most folks here do their own.
Unread 12-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #4
halmc
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Idoling problem HELP

Find some old goat like me who's willing to help you look for vacuum leaks. Then, if you don't try any funny stuff with his grand daughter (or she with you) he might be willing to show you how to 'boil' your carburetor and rebuild it with a new kit.

BTW, Idoling is forbidden by the first and second of the Ten Commandments.
halmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.