Idles fine, Shift in gear and it sputters and dies - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idles fine, Shift in gear and it sputters and dies

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 04-24-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Idles fine, Shift in gear and it sputters and dies

I've been having this problem off and on. Some weeks its great, others (like today), it runs badly. It will idle fine, but drove it only about 5 miles and it starts sputtering. I pull off and it will idle ok (in Neutral {I've got an Auto}), then when I put it in gear it either dies or runs but sputters. I've read that this could be the coil going bad? I've replaced the fuel filter/ spark plugs & wires several times.

Sometimes if it sputters and I leave it alone for about 20 mins, it will be fine again and run. Whats weird is this problem is not constant, its hit or miss (some weeks fine, some not).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

WAR EAGLE!
smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
eraten
1993 YJ Wrangler 

are you getting any weird sounds or vibrations when its in gear? and does your jeep have a working tachometer?
Unread 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
tcourdin

I had a truck act kind of like this many years ago, it turned out to be a safety switch on the transmission went bad. It's the switch that will only allow the the vehicle to start only in park or neutral. Dunno if thats whats wrong with yours or not but it's worth checking.

I've also had a fuel pump that would run fine one minute, then quit working the next. It took forever to get it figured out.

I hate problems like that that are intermittent, I just wish it would break!

Coils are pretty cheap, probably worth replacing if you think it could be the culprit.
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #4
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the choke is on.
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 05:20 PM   #5
smitkev2
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The jeep has a working tach. I don't get any werid vibrations other than the motor tying to both stay running and trying to quit at the same time. HA.

Choke? I have never thought to check that. I just need to make sure the plates are wide open if the choke is off correct? The choke closes the plates if I remember correctly.

Thanks

WAR EAGLE!
smitkev2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
yjcrawlr
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you can see strait thru you are fine if a butterfly is closed it will probably run but when you need power it will choke out.
yjcrawlr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.