Idle Speed Actuator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle Speed Actuator

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #1
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Idle Speed Actuator

Gents,
Looking to find out how relative the Idle Speed Actuator is on a Jeep YJ 1987 with a 2.5l engine (TBI).
I had to reconnect (Pinout) the entire ECM to all sensors and the engine wants to crank over and run, getting Fuel and Spark but it seems like the Injector isnt letting fuel in?
Used a Painless wiring harness along with having to reconnect the ECM into the engine harness.
Any thoughts???

SIMGOD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 2.5l has to have several of the sensors adjusted. ISA, TPS, but the one that will stop the fuel is the WOT switch.

Go to this thread post #11 and download the factory manuals. They will help you.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/1...start-1414928/

Also the painless was way too much money. We have Chris who is local to get parts from. He scraps YJs:
http://cfoffroad.com/

Welcome to the forum!
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Please fill out the Jeep profile. It helps to figure things out.
Unread 09-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So turns out the WOT switch was not on the vehicle at all, I took the WOT connection off the ECM and grounded out to (test)bypass and the vehicle started right up!
Of course needs to be tuned/ adjusted on a few components blowing all kinds of raw fumes, my next debacle is somehow I hot looped the run circuit as the vehicle wont shut off at the ignition. Had to yank the ECM connection, I think not putting in a start relay may have something to do with it as the PAINFULL, I mean painless harness doesnt speak to this.
Unread 09-18-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL it got me before too. Glad you got it running. Keep Chris's number handy. It will save you loads of cash.
Unread 09-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #6
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So some direction on what I will call "Rough and High Idle",its running like its a Hemi right now but sounds like a Harley on steroids?
I am going back to confirm mechanical timing is dead on, however I think this is deeper than that?
I adjusted the ISA screw all the way down and it barely fit once installed, not sure if this and the handful of sensors would dynamically effect Idle and speed like this, Its running about 1700 Rpm and dumping out raw raw smoke and fuel smells. I did go through and ensure there were no open vaccum lines, I also have eliminated 99% of emissions as they were not present prior to the rebuild and it ran very well.
Unread 09-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #7
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh. You eliminated sensors and vacuum lines on a computer controlled engine and its not running right....... You know the computer tunes the engine with the sensors for your air/fuel and by eliminating the sensors you eliminated its eyes into the engine. I am surprised it started. You need to adjust the TPS, ISA, and WOT. You should also run the fuel pressure test. They are all in the manual I linked. All the sensors play into the ecu calibration and all are necessary and will effect the way it runs. The egr can be eliminated but I don't know what else you could have eliminated.
Unread 09-20-2014, 07:55 AM   #8
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ok, as simple as this may be I am in a quandary, now I am faced with timing not wanting to play nice? It is bouncing all over from 0 to +18 degrees.
I attempted to retard it by one tooth, manual setting the distributor, kicks over but runs like a Harley sputtering and chugging to try to stay running.
I have all new components , ISA, Crank Sensor, MAP, MAT and WOT.
The ISA isnt moving an inch in or out, I am certain its pinned out correctly, however it doesnt move at all.
I have set mechanical timing to 0 degrees, #1 piston is up and the distributor is pointed at 1, the firing order 1,3,4,2...any thoughts other than a jumped timing chain?
Keep in mind, timing was good to go before the jeep went into a 3 year hiatus, so it hasn't been started till recently.
Bare in mind I will be killed by weekends end if I dont have this up and running reliably?! I also dont have any of the fancy testing tools outside of timing and measuring voltage/ resistance.
Unread 09-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #9
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Did you set the adjustments for the sensors like the manual says. Wot tps and isa need to be setup.
Unread 09-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #10
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Get these off of ebay. Very informative.

Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Que,
I did not set the WOT or ISA as per the manuals as I dont own any of the tools called out.
The ISA isnt even moving when the vehicle turns on?
I checked connection to the ECM and everything looks ok physical connection wise
however what should I be seeing, according to the manual it should move one way or another?

What I find extremely odd is with the screw that makes contact to the TBI accelerator arm its turned all the way in
and there is no slack

it is at about 12 degrees off top dead center but is choking out as I have no work around to set the sensors quick.
Any suggestions for a field expedient approach to getting this in the ball park would be very helpful, I do thank you gentlemen for your expert knowledge on
everything jeep
Unread 09-20-2014, 04:09 PM   #12
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No power is getting to the ISA, according to the connections off the ECM two connections control forward and reverse on the actuator one is the feed to the EL and the 4th is the ground??? What and how is power provided when the switch in the run but the engine is not running.
According to all documents there should be about 4 to 5 volts sent with the ignition key in the run position?
Unread 09-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #13
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I wish you were using a stock harness. Do you have the diagnostic connector wired in?
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:03 AM   #14
SIMGOD
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Que
I did not wire the diagnostic connectors back in, this would have added in a layer of complexity that I would have to prove out was wired correctly, I am starting to get convinced this ECM is not functioning and sending the signals it should be.
Unread 09-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The voltage for the isa should be there. I think you need to get in touch with Chris and see what he has.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.