Idle issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Idle issues

1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee Front Upper & Lower Control ArSwag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
Rldevogt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Idle issues

I plugged this hose and it idles great. If I unplug it the jeep idles at around 1200 rpm. It has been doing this for a while but this forum has inspired me to start working on the jeep more. What should this hose be connected to? Or should I just plug it?

Rldevogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Obviously you don't want vacuum ports hanging open. As you have discovered, vacuum leaks are bad.

I believe that line goes through the firewall to the heater controls, IIRC.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

IIRC, that is supposed to hook to the line that passes through the firewall and goes to the heater control. Also "T"s off to the front axle disconnect switch on the transfer case.
Unread 10-23-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
Rldevogt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I don't really care for heat. I live in ga and 40 degrees isn't all that cold. Plus my heater already works really well. I'm unsure of this transfer case hook up tho. Does any one have a picture how this should look? The more I year this jeep down the more I learn how much the Po didn't know what he was doing.
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The PO could have either bypassed/gotten rid of the front axle disconnect or hooked it up somewhere else.

If you know your 4wd is working and don't care about the heat, just plug it.

Otherwise, look for the vacuum lines running from the front right axle (which are originally hard plastic green and yellow and black (or maybe white), follow them to the transfer case, and then follow the red one to a checkvalve under the hood on the passenger side.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You may not need a heater, but you might still want that vacuum line to the heater controls. Because the vacuum opens the outside air baffle. So without it you might not get outside air through the vents. There is a recent thread somewhere here that shows how it works.

Here it is: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/y...te-up-1649689/
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #7
Rldevogt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'm going to check out the thread in the morning. My 4wd works great. I still have the vacuum system but it works like a champ.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
Rldevogt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I Checked out the diagram. It seems pretty straight forward. I think I found the other two vacuum hoses. Is it possible to buy a "T" bracket/hookup. And if the PO disconnected the front axel disconnect would it do damage if I hooked both of the lines up with the "T" bracket/hookup or should I just find which hose goes to the heater.
Unread 10-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you're missing a lot of the vacuum emissions controls. The high/low vacuum switches are gone, as are all the pulse-air relays.

Given that, I would just try to get the stuff you need hooked back up. And forget trying to return it to stock plumbing. Check out the threads for manually controlling the CAD or permanently locking the CAD engaged.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:13 PM   #10
Rldevogt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Thats just it, everything works. I have the vacuum system for 4wd and it works just fine. I dont have a 4wd light but i can feel it engage and disengage. I don't have to pass emissions so that is not a problem. I just want to plug the vacuum leak that I pointed out at the top of this thread. If it is possible to return it to stock I would like to do that but since everything is working and it drives well I will probably just plug it.

Im trying to make this jeep as reliable as possible. Plus it is fun to have my little man (4 years old) out there with me fixing this thing.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I can see the throttle linkage has been jury-rigged, so you likely don't have the original carburetor. That means it has been nuttered, or something like that, and the ECM probably isn't doing anything. So you don't need, and you're better off without, all that emissions crap. Unfortunately you'll have to figure out most stuff on your own, because nothing is going to match any shop manuals. You've got a one of a kind.

If it runs good with that port plugged, you're good to go just doing that. Figure out how to get vacuum through the firewall to the vent control if you want to.

I wish I could get rid of all that vacuum crap so easily. I will have to go to fuel injection to get away with it.

I'm pretty sure you can eliminate that spark plug hanging off the wiring harness.
Unread 10-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #12
Rldevogt
1988 YJ Wrangler 

that spark plug is what is plugging the vacuum hose right now. thank you for the help. I want to go with a 4.0 fuel injection in about 2 years. If I can make it until then I will be happy.
Unread 10-24-2013, 05:57 PM   #13
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Picture number two you are looking at the case vents for the transfer case and front diff. Leave those alone they are correct.

Sent from underneath my Jeep

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.