identify what type of tranny - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > identify what type of tranny

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 02-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #1
bjzman100
1988 YJ Wrangler 

identify what type of tranny

I purchased my first Jeep back in December, and I am new to this forum. I have been replacing damaged/worn parts to bring her back to life. I have gotten the gears in the 5spd tranny stuck while in reverse. The clutch will engage/disengage, but will not come out of gear(5th I think). So I am trying to identify if I have the Peugeot or Aisin. I have a label on the passenger side with date and 2 sets of numbers: 8953005848 and 077167. Thanks for any advise.

Brian

bjzman100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 04:56 PM   #2
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

does it look like this, with the steel spacer between the two aluminum case halves or is the case split horizontally?
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Brian - Your 6 cylinder 1988 would have the Peugeot BA/10 tranny.
The fact that there is an ID plate on the passenger is also a dead giveaway.
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
bjzman100
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have the jeep at a friend's shop at the moment "crackedcornish" but I believe it is split between two halves. and from what "kloppk" stated..my fears of it being a BA/10 seem true. I am on a tight budget after fixing so many things already. That being said, should I look for a used AX-15 to put in? I saw the sticky on the swap. Thanks for the help.
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

the Peugeot tranny isn't as strong as the AX-15...so if costs between a repair and a replacement were close, and I had to make the choice between fixing a stock part that broke once already, or upgrading to a stronger part, well that's a pretty easy choice to make
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
89yjislanderr
1989 YJ Wrangler 

another option: NV3550. its what i replaced by ba10 with. i love it.
89yjislanderr is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like your ba10 is stuck in gear. Some people have had luck in getting it unstuck via the shifter area without removing the transmission. The rails can be manipulated with a stout screwdriver. I would try this before pulling it out. I would source an ax15 or an NV transmission for the future though.

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
bjzman100
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Update: gear shifter is broke and metal is all inside. I am not mechanic so I have to rely on a friend. His tranny tech told me that I would have to replace both driveshaft's, transfer case, and bell housing to go to the AX-15..about 3k to do it. I am working on my mechanic skills, but time is always by enemy. I think that $3k to swap out is too high. Any thoughts?
Unread 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #9
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

$3k is nuts for an AX15 swap. You don't need a new t-case, just a 23 spline input gear for it. Even for the inexperienced it can be swapped out and reassembled in a couple of hours. Or get lucky and find one that came behind one originally for cheap. I haven't done the swap but I don't remember anyone having to lengthen/shorten driveshafts. Do a search for it to see what is involved.

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.