identify my oil leak - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > identify my oil leak

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-25-2013, 07:14 AM   #1
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

identify my oil leak

OK folks, time to play a game. I have an oil leak. I have been told several different "ideas" of what it could be, but I figured I'd come to the jeep pros for more help.

The leak has been around for awhile and I'm still trying to clean up from it to see if I can find it that way, but here's what I have.

1987 YJ, 4.2 manual tranny...oil all down passenger side, from valve cover, all the way down and back along passenger side under the jeep. Minimal oil on driver side. I see oil drip from the bell housing area, as well as, from under the engine. It only leaks when the motor heats up and once it cools, the leak stops. No noticeable loss on the dipstick, even with a good bit of oil on the ground. When I bought it, I was told there was a rear main leak, but with all the oil up top and in the engine compartment, I was told it was a valve cover issue and just leaking down to appear as a rear main.

This is where you all come in...thoughts, opinions, ideas...Think it could just be a valve cover and it's leaking enough to mimic a rear main or is it both? Any other options, maybe oil sending unit, etc?

I've read through the forum and have some ideas, but everyone's situation is different and I keep getting different answers.

psych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM   #2
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Same issue as, my XJ, ZJ, and YJ has had. Go though and tighten up all you valve cover bolts see if that helps. That has solved the issue on all three of my jeeps.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:07 AM   #3
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

I'm gonna go wtih the turn signal fluid resovior. Those are a pain in the ***, and always leak.

Seriously ^^^^^^what PAWJOB said.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:23 AM   #4
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I've had several people say the valve cover but would that dump that much oil? I'm learning as I go so I don't want to tear into something, IE the rear main seal, unless I have to.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych View Post
I've had several people say the valve cover but would that dump that much oil? I'm learning as I go so I don't want to tear into something, IE the rear main seal, unless I have to.
you won't know if the rear main is leaking until you stop the valve cover leak. Tighten the bolts down(i think its 15 inch pounds NOT FOOT POUNDS) then clean your motor with degreaser. then wait for the leak to resurface. Sounds exactly how my jeep acted when i first got it.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Pawjob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it would leak that much. 4.0 have two major leaks, valve cover and rear main. Tighten the valve cover bolts it will cost you nothing and more then likely solve your issue.

1993 Wrangler, Rock Smashing Jeep, and November 2012 YJOTM... [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/rockcrawling-yj-build-1428039/"]YJ Build[/URL]
1.5" SOA, Stak 3 speed Tcase, 37" Swamper M16's...ALOTS of extras
Pawjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet, thanks. I planned to replace the valve cover gasket and ensure proper torque on the bolts. This jeep is a great project but I'm learning how fickle they can be. Reminds me of military aircraft, they leak, no big deal....worry when it stops!
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What I do to find leaks is to clean all surfaces and start watching... you may have several leaks, but since oil gets all over it's difficult to pinpoint without cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
HaskiE
Thread Reviver

1992 YJ Wrangler 

x2 on the valve cover gasket, that fixed it for mine, (or at least cut the leak way down)

my leak was so bad you could see it @ the oil pressure gauge, it would sit at 40-45, and when you revved/drove, it would go back to 60. now it sits at 60 consistently
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #10
psych
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That's part of my problem. The previous owner didn't take very good care of the jeep and cleaning was obviously not in his vocabulary. I'm trying to clean as I also identify but it's not going as easy as I'd like and I'm trying to avoid just drenching the entire engine compartment! haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
What I do to find leaks is to clean all surfaces and start watching... you may have several leaks, but since oil gets all over it's difficult to pinpoint without cleaning
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
black92renegade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Gravity Rules, start at the top with the valve cover. BTW it does not take a lot of oil to make a mess.
black92renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
x2 on the valve cover gasket, that fixed it for mine, (or at least cut the leak way down)

my leak was so bad you could see it @ the oil pressure gauge, it would sit at 40-45, and when you revved/drove, it would go back to 60. now it sits at 60 consistently
It doesn't matter if you don't have a valve cover on at all.
The oil pressure is determined by the oil pump and bearing clearance.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.