Identify this lift.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Identify this lift....

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 02-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #16
Gohot

Yep, the track bar was removed a couple months ago, right after I initially wrote this thread. Boy what a difference, I felt a much better suspension movement. The rear still has to come out, but the PO welded the through bolt head to the axle tower mount about a quarter of the way around. Of course he fried the bushing doing so and it clanks on acceleration and deceleration. Initially I had got a cutoff blade for my side grinder to cut the weld so that I could remove the bolt, but grinding at 35,000 rpm threw a shower of sparks. Dang, I was afraid of blowing the whole thing up so I stopped immediately. I went to tractor supply and got a drill mounted grinding stone to fit my small drill. The low rpm of it ought not to throw sparks, and ought to cut the weld out in a couple minutes time hopefully.

Thanks for IDing the springs guys. Let me ask you then..... with 2.5 Rubicon Express springs and the shackles shown in the picture, what do you think my lift system comes out to? I'm thinking the shackles are lifting maybe 1 1/2" to maybe 2" , giving a total of 4" ?? Does that sound right?
With this information i could try to compute the loss of caster and decide on what degree of wedges and only buy once instead of back and forth with them and the distributor. I did get a gauge from Harbor Freight that ought to show soon, for my exact measurements.

Other than the wandering feel, it's good to full throttle in 5th of about 70-75ish without wobble or bounce or anything, it's quite smooth. Remember, it sets on 31x10.50's.

Gohot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The two inches added by the shackles only results in one inch of lift. All things being equal, you're adding two inches on one side of the spring while the other stays fixed and the axle (being in the center of these two points) will move exactly one half the distance that you lift one side.

One inch shackle lift. Stock is 4".
Unread 02-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #18
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The wandering can be the result of the drag link angle. When the TREs wear the tie-rod will rotate when you turn left and right causing a dead spot when you transition. A drop pitman arm or a tie-rod flip might flatted it out enough to fix that and any bump steer you feel as well. You could drop to a 5" shackle (1/2" lift) and it will give some of your caster back. Have you had to alignment checked to make sure it is correct?

Based on the shackle lift only you should have lost ~2.5 of caster with the 1" lift shackles. So a shim that same amount to get it back, or drop to a 1/2" shackle and you will get ~1/2 of that back. If you go with shims, make sure you get steel shims (not aluminum) and make sure your center pins are long enough to go through into the hole in the spring perch. I don't think that will be an issue with such a small shim.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.