Identify this lift.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Identify this lift....

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 08-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Gohot

Identify this lift....

Can you identify this lift. I think it's just a shackle lift as the body doughnuts seem to be stock. They are for the most part about 1-1 1/2 inches thick, what appears to be original, though in good condition and intact.
My concern is this:
With a simple shackle 'lift' I believe it has effectively lost some Caster for the steering. The symptoms are touchy steering at road speed. I live out in the Rural part of southern North Carolina and while our roads tend to be narrow and not exactly flat high speed through fares, their better than some places I'v lived, like So Cal and Anchorage Alaska. The purpose of the question involves caster shims for the front axle to return the steering more towards self centering. I don't believe my 95 YJ 4.0 has seen much dirt, at least on a regular basis, maybe dirt roads or double tracks in the woods, but still the steering could be better. The toe in seems pretty close is what I'm getting to.
As you can see, I have these American Racing Pythons with 31's on them, with some + offset ...unknown at what inches they are outwardy.
And lastly, if I add shims to the axle, say 2 degree or 4 degree, would I be able to loosen the 'U' bolts and plate and insert the shims and sinch it all back up without monkieing up something else? Anything to pay close attention to? I mean, this seems simple to me, and I'd consider myself an 8 out of 10 as a motorhead. Simple fix?
The rear dogleg shackle is measured from top edge to bottom edge...

img_6085.jpg   img_6086.jpg   img_6091.jpg  

Last edited by Gohot; 08-02-2012 at 07:08 AM..
Gohot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:09 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohot View Post
Can you identify this lift. I think it's just a shackle lift as the body doughnuts seem to be stock. They are for the most part about 1-1 1/2 inches thick, what appears to be original, though in good condition and intact.
My concern is this:
With a simple shackle 'lift' I believe it has effectively lost some Caster for the steering. The symptoms are touchy steering at road speed. I live out in the Rural part of southern North Carolina and while our roads tend to be narrow and not exactly flat high speed through fares, their better than some places I'v lived, like So Cal and Anchorage Alaska. The purpose of the question involves caster shims for the front axle to return the steering more towards self centering. I don't believe my 95 YJ 4.0 has seen much dirt, at least on a regular basis, maybe dirt roads or double tracks in the woods, but still the steering could be better. The toe in seems pretty close is what I'm getting to.
As you can see, I have these American Racing Pythons with 31's on them, with some + offset ...unknown...what inches they are outward.
And lastly, if I add shims to the axle, say 2 degree or 4 degree, would I be able to loosen the 'U' bolts and plate and insert the shims and sinch it all back up without monkieing up something else? Anything to pay close attention to? I mean, this seems simple to me, and I'd consider myself an 8 out of 10 as a motorhead. Simple fix?
The rear dogleg shackle is measured from top edge to bottom edge...
You could put some shackles on (4" bolt centers) and it should help with any wandering. You may want to consider having a shop do an alignment just to see though. As far as shims, I don't think you would need them for your setup if everything is properly torqued and the front wheels had the proper toe in. Something else to consider is the unit hub hearings, ball joints, and tie rod ends. Are they in good shape?

Lastly, are there any part numbers on the springs to help us identify the lift?

Also, ditch the track bar in the front and rear. Your jeep will ride much better.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #3
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The sprigs are not stock, you can see how One of leafs in the pack wraps around the eye. it's called a military wrap, if you happen to snap a main leaf there's still something to support your vehicle, although the support from the frame end and the other spring is generally enough to keep it from dropping to the ground. As for identity, not many companies offer military wrap, so you can defiantly narrow it down. Also, the trAnsfer case drop uses pucks which are also mfg specific.

The shackles are measured eye to eye, if that's the case it looks like you have shackles an in inch longer than stock which gives you ~1/2" lift.

I'd say you're probably around 4-5" over stock. First jeep??
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Nafpu
2012 KK Liberty 

Why put booms in the rear, but not the front as well?
Nafpu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:33 AM   #5
gunshw301
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Booms not needed in the front. You will have to stick with extended shackles with double wrap springs. You won't have any room for movement other wise. Might be able to drop the shackle length to somewhere around 5 to 6 inches center to center eye. Which they might already be siZed at.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
F/S Dana 35, 4:10, open make an offer, local pick up only, will not ship. 3-8-13

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-94-b-g-yj-1034888/"]My 1994 yj build page[/URL]
gunshw301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Gohot

Yep, first jeep, ans a trade from a previous owner who didn't know any specifics beyond it had a 'cool' sterio and sound bar'...lol. I'v come to expect a lack of knowledge as to the components, especially as it changed hands from the installer to the next owner then to me leaving the 'next owner' ignorant of the componentry. It's what is to be expected. At this point, I'm just trying to figure out what it is that has been done. I'm content with the configuration as is, it suits me as I seldom would use the Jeep for gnarley roads or crawling. I'm more likely to go offroad to a creek or river and go panning for gold and set up a camp kind of thing. But the bottom line is that I know the steering self centering lacks just a scoush, and could be better at 'return to center'.
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would guess RE 2.5" spring with a 1" boom.

I didn't read the rest of the replies but is that what you were looking for? Are there any markings on the springs?
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^^^^^^^ looks like rubicon express springs to me too. check the suspension out real good, steering parts, also toe in, shouldn't have a problem with your setup.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Agreed, looks like the RE standard duty springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

took another look at your pics, you also need to either install the extension bracket on the track bar or just take it off, its pulling your axle over alittle.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadyrob View Post
took another look at your pics, you also need to either install the extension bracket on the track bar or just take it off, its pulling your axle over alittle.

Remove it! Track bars are for girls.

While your at it take the sway bar out too. WAAAYY more flex. And not horrible on road either. You will notice it in the first couple corners tho.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
Gohot

Track bar to go................as soon as it's not raining here. I got'a do everything outdoors, and this time of year its rainy or sprinkly all the time. I think Caster wedges are my answer. Yea the track bars are...... uh, I don't know what.... but seem to be a factory necesity for some reason unknown to most??? I don't like the way they shift the chassis when accelerating or decelerating. My problem on the rear will be cutting the weld where the PO welded/tacked the through bolt to the axle mount. I can get the nut off, but the bolt is welded. '''Some peoples kids''' ???
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Gohot

Ok a couple months have passed. The usual 145K mileage point necessities, ie. a new clutch kit and master and slave clutch kit. The clutch is all new now as well as hydraulic system.

Now back to the problem.... It does wander, or rather it doesn't self center much at all. As roadyrob pointed out in his assessment of the spring type, I'm not certain, but the Letter prefix would lead me to believe they were 'Rubicon Express Springs' Here's a shot of the stencil/letters on the rear of the drivers side. Both front springs have these numbers, honestly the rears I didn't check other than to note they have Wedges installed as well as a transfer case drop of 1.5" it appears, made with what almost look like Hockey pucks. They are about 2.5" and round, of some very hard non-metallic material. I'v sent off to Harbor Freight for a caster degree measuring gauge just a few minutes ago, so I know I'll need to measure caster before the determination of which degree wedges I will need.

Yea this is my first Jeep, and I'm finding it suits me well and my lifestyle of a retired old duff living on a farm in the country.
img_6154.jpg  
Unread 02-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The RE stands for Rubicon Express, those are 2.5" lift springs.

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #15
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

So did you remove or relocate the track bar?
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.