Identification for 4 or 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Identification for 4 or 6

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-25-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
brichardson7

Identification for 4 or 6

I'm in the market for another YJ since having my son. (Finally, another Jeep). While scanning local ads and of course craigslist for YJ's for sale, I use pictures I see for some basis as to whether or not I go and look at the YJ closer.

With that said, is there any way to tell if a YJ's a 4 or 6 cyl with out popping the hood? I have found a few I liked but doesn't give a motor size. With my 89 I had it had the side steps that blended into the fender flairs(Sahara). Are the side steps an indicator? Please help. I miss my Jeep.

brichardson7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Most 4.0s have a sticker on the back right under the tail light that says 4.0. I guess that's one way to tell.
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Jkanly

for a 4cyl the oil pan would be farther back in the engine bay, and there is about an extra foot of room between the rad and the accessory brackets. Other than that, front driveshaft is quite a bit smaller and shorter than the 6.

You can also check the vin... ?
l---L –0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

VIN decoder....
http://jeep.avtograd.ru/VIN/vin_en.asp
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 04:28 PM   #5
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichardson7 View Post
I'm in the market for another YJ since having my son. (Finally, another Jeep). While scanning local ads and of course craigslist for YJ's for sale, I use pictures I see for some basis as to whether or not I go and look at the YJ closer.

With that said, is there any way to tell if a YJ's a 4 or 6 cyl with out popping the hood? I have found a few I liked but doesn't give a motor size. With my 89 I had it had the side steps that blended into the fender flairs(Sahara). Are the side steps an indicator? Please help. I miss my Jeep.
If it isn't brand new I would make no assumptions about what is actually under the hood given the extent that mods can be done to them!

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

There isn't really a way to tell which engine there is unless it says 4.0 on the body, and that is no garuntee.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.