Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #61
RebuildRookie
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just bought a used Tuffy Stereo Console. In the radio din, there is a switch that the PO of the console had connected to the starter. Pull out to enable the starter with ignition, push in to disable starter, so no start. Although a thief could push start my stick shift to start it, but I find that unlikely.

All I have to do now is wire it up.

And you keep the terrorists in check before you get your *** blowed off.[/B][/FONT]
RebuildRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #62
battman
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sell where ever it is you live, get a converter plug, George Foreman Grill, Sleeping bag, a pillow, and a tractor wrench...make the Jeep your DD/apartment. If that seems a little over the top, a kill switch under the passenger side dash will work wonders!
Unread 12-16-2009, 03:28 PM   #63
Jeep_tj_97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The UNBREAKABLE AutoLock PRO - LAW1640

I have this and it works great!
Jeep_tj_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #64
modnoc13
1992 YJ Wrangler 

how about take off the stearing wheel off
modnoc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #65
Anticanman
Follow me
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quick detach steering wheels are great, but who wants to lug around a steering wheel everywhere you go? Of course you could put it in a locking trunk behind the back seat. It seems a bit overbearing everytime you leave your jeep in a suspicious place. Worry about the most important things: Doors, battery and the integrity of the soft top. Use security nuts on the bottom of your doors, Get a hood lock to protect your battery and finally dont leave anything in plain view for someone to walk by and want to slash your soft top to grab. its probably cheaper than your soft top. As for a kill switch, i just park in 4LO and by the time someone is in the jeep, started it up and trying to drive away, they're a very slow target. Shifting the transfer case into neutral is also going to give you enough exhaust warning to deal with the situation. I read .45acp as a solution, and I'm with you but we are in California and defending yourself and property is illegal now.

Just my 2/5 nickel.
Anticanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 07:48 PM   #66
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
DEI Python alarm with ignition kill and motion sensor. Works well.
This is the best setup you can get. You can even have door actuators installed for keyless entry. If you want to go topless a lot, get the proximity sensor as well. In socal, a DEI alarm is worth the $ IMO.
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #67
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprngrider View Post
If you want to go topless a lot, get the proximity sensor as well. In socal, a DEI alarm is worth the $ IMO.
That's what I have. Gotta adjust it twice a year as it acts differently in extreme cold and heat but well worth it. Have the same one on the wife's vehicle (minus the add-on).
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #68
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprngrider View Post
This is the best setup you can get. You can even have door actuators installed for keyless entry. If you want to go topless a lot, get the proximity sensor as well. In socal, a DEI alarm is worth the $ IMO.
I disagree on alarms, i lived in Socal for 4 years and wouldnt ever go with an alarm again. Simply a Kill switch and Club and hoodlock will do.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:18 PM   #69
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Quick detach steering wheels are great, but who wants to lug around a steering wheel everywhere you go? Of course you could put it in a locking trunk behind the back seat. It seems a bit overbearing everytime you leave your jeep in a suspicious place. Worry about the most important things: Doors, battery and the integrity of the soft top. Use security nuts on the bottom of your doors, Get a hood lock to protect your battery and finally dont leave anything in plain view for someone to walk by and want to slash your soft top to grab. its probably cheaper than your soft top. As for a kill switch, i just park in 4LO and by the time someone is in the jeep, started it up and trying to drive away, they're a very slow target. Shifting the transfer case into neutral is also going to give you enough exhaust warning to deal with the situation. I read .45acp as a solution, and I'm with you but we are in California and defending yourself and property is illegal now.

Just my 2/5 nickel.
Cant thieves just carry around a quick detach steering wheel too and put it on?
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:31 PM   #70
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
I disagree on alarms, i lived in Socal for 4 years and wouldnt ever go with an alarm again. Simply a Kill switch and Club and hoodlock will do.
Any reason in particular or are going with "just because"?
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #71
haus55
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Put in a starter kill, jeeps are simple, cut the starter wire in half (yellow i think) at the column, hide the switch in plain sight, put it near the headlight switch or by the fog lights, rear window defogger, etc. If you think they will crack the column to hot wire it, put some razor blades under their, they wont stick around after they cut themselves fumbling in the dark. If you want to hear them cranking on the car as a previous poster said, cut kill switch the ignition wire, if i remember correctly the car will crank but not start. This will give you time to get your gun, baseball bat, golf club, dog, etc.

I agree with a previous post however, a dog is the best security system.

PS My dad had his K5 blazer broken into 4 times and they could never find the kill switch even after ripping the column and dash apart. The 5th time they came with a flatbed and got it. If they want it they will get it. They also got shot at so i guess its the risk you run if you steal a car.(my dads a cop so dont flame about shooting at people)

Last edited by haus55; 12-16-2009 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: incomplete
haus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #72
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Any reason in particular or are going with "just because"?
Each time your Jeep falses and your neighbor hears it, the less effective it becomes. The most costliest thing on your vehicle is your vehicle, just remove the other things you dont want stolen or get a tuffy and get a kill switch or theft insurance. Alarms are bound to false either by your friends or the elements and whatever else you dont know. thats just my theory, if I had a hardtop it might be a different one.
Unread 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #73
haus55
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Agree with Terrible2 100%. If you get one with shock sensors on the alarm and you set them to detroit level, a strong wind will set off the alarm. You and everyone around you will hate that alarm after 2 days.
haus55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:00 PM   #74
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Set your alarm properly and false alarms are kept to a minimum. I don't set mine so sensitive that a mouse fart will set it off. Even if neighbors and such start to ignore it it's still like all hell breaking loose to a would be thief.

Regardless a good alarm like the Python or Viper will have an ignition kill so that's a moot point anyway.
Unread 12-16-2009, 09:44 PM   #75
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Set your alarm properly and false alarms are kept to a minimum. I don't set mine so sensitive that a mouse fart will set it off. Even if neighbors and such start to ignore it it's still like all hell breaking loose to a would be thief.

Regardless a good alarm like the Python or Viper will have an ignition kill so that's a moot point anyway.
The moot point is dont waste your money on an alarm when you can get a kill switch for cheaper. Yea its like Hell breaking loose but if they realize that people ignore it, which they recognize people do ignore they may just stay in there longer. but heck I dont know, im just speculating.

Seriously people probably get keyed because of false alarms, they sure piss me off and Ive almost wished Id keyed some cars. Its crying wolf.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.