Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #46
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
Why the heck would someone go through that much trouble, seems like alot more pain than flicking a switch? just get simple kill switches
Because thieves look for kill switches.. I carry my fingers with me so it wouldnt be hard to flick a switch. Trust me they would find it. I remove the #6 starter fuse in mine and never worry a minute. Although, I do worry constantly about someone cutting my top.

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #47
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The trick to kill switches is to install them using existing wiring looms as much as possible and to put them in looms where there arent any - this goes for in the cab and the engine compartment. Make it look stock - use electrical tape and zip ties to secure added looms like a professional installation from the factory. Over time the looms will get dirty and blend in. The switch is best placed in a location that can be locked up securely, or is of an unorthodox/complex design.

It's a fair bet that thieves troll the boards looking for ideas on where to search for a kill switch. Avoid common locations that are posted all over the net, but the switch shouldn't be placed in a spot too inconvenient for regular use. Get creative. I think it's a good idea to not discuss where you have one installed, unless your vehicle was stolen.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #48
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
I have a 1992 yj soft top. Unfortunately I live in a area in Southern California where vehicle thefts run fairly high. I would like to put some type of device on my jeep that will make it harder to steal. I thought about a switch that I can hit that would shut off battery power, this way if they punch the ignition it still won't start. Any thoughts on this, is there a better solution out there that can help prevent someone from taking my jeep?

I remember somebody makes a battery kill switch that can be switched on and off via a hand held remote like a keyless entry system. I can't remember who makes it, but I'll look around and see if I can find it. It seems to me that this would be perfect when combo'd with a hood lock (cheap at around $15-20).

Build thread: http://forum.aev-conversions.com/showthread.php?t=7434
southbound is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM   #49
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think this is it-

BatteryBrain

Unread 12-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #50
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
I remember somebody makes a battery kill switch that can be switched on and off via a hand held remote like a keyless entry system. I can't remember who makes it, but I'll look around and see if I can find it. It seems to me that this would be perfect when combo'd with a hood lock (cheap at around $15-20).
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
I think this is it-

BatteryBrain
It was already mentioned earlier in the thread. It's kinda expensive for what it does (around $80-$90). The wireless FOB switch I posted is much cheaper and disables the fuel pump so it won't be able to start.
2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)

Last edited by Floppy; 12-12-2009 at 03:09 PM..
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #51
JoeR203
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Years ago, Summit Racing sold a kit that is plumbed thru the brake lines. When the alarm was tripped, the brakes were locked. You could also use a bicycle cable lock strung thru the wheels and, if they do end up getting your ride, a Zoombak unit may help you find it.
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #52
unihall
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Battery brain.

the battery brain is remote control. It has a key fob. The good thing about a battery kill like the battery brain is once the thief breaks in to your jeep it seems like all is right. The lights work and everything seems normal. Then as soon as he tries to start it the jeep kinda cranks for a second and then just goes dead just like a dead battery. He is most likely out of there then because I don't know of anyway to start a jeep without a battery unless you start on a big hill or have a lot of people to push. Once you set it up you don't have to go under the hood. The fuel shut off is good also. If you do anything it will help. So many people are either stupid or lazy because they don't do anything. With all those unprotected jeeps out there they will go elsewhere.
unihall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #53
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavidfield View Post
Because thieves look for kill switches.. I carry my fingers with me so it wouldnt be hard to flick a switch. Trust me they would find it. I remove the #6 starter fuse in mine and never worry a minute. Although, I do worry constantly about someone cutting my top.
Seems like way more work than necessary. I guess if you really want to do that much work for your safety. Id still rather would rather go for a hidden kill switch, but heck cant force my opinions on ya
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:37 AM   #54
TheRobster
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had this idea a while ago.
Get an RFID reader and install the sensor for it in the drivers seat.
Stash the rest of the electronics somewhere where it won't be easily noticed, use it to cut power to the fuel pump, or coil. Do everything you can to make it look like the extra wires belong there.

Then you just carry a RFID card in your wallet. Jeep won't start if you aren't in it. Jeep dies within seconds if you hop out.

You could even have some fun with your friends, or make a few $ off strangers, by betting them they couldn't start your Jeep.

Of course I am a lazy bastard, so I just put on the club and walk away.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #55
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

These work pretty good for me.....
winnie-standing.jpg

tara-lay.jpg

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 01:54 PM   #56
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppy View Post
It was already mentioned earlier in the thread. It's kinda expensive for what it does (around $80-$90). The wireless FOB switch I posted is much cheaper and disables the fuel pump so it won't be able to start.

I didn't read through the first 3 pages of the thread. Just the OP's initial question. The batterybrain was the first thing that came to mind, so I posted it.

And I read your idea, but honestly I would still go with the BatteryBrain if I had the extra money to spend on it and really wanted to install an anti-theft device. I also like the other features their product offers. I like the fact that it monitors the battery and isolates it so you can at least have a chance at turning your engine over and not have to break out the cables.

Unread 12-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #57
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

does anyone know of a magnetic switch. You could mount it anywhere in your jeep and just pass a magnet infront of it to turn you say fuel pump on. Unless a theif knows you have it and wants to sit in ur jeep waving a magnet around there not gona start your jeep
kkchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 11:52 AM   #58
Fuddmaster
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I still a crappy jeep not worth stealin. so that helps. but i take my faceplate in with me and use a hoodlock never had a problem.
Fuddmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #59
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I just lock the doors and say a prayer. So far so good. I did clean out the garage to have my 1st ever real Jeep work place and it feels nice to put my baby in there each night. I'm up at weird hours and love to have "Night Mornings" as it's nice to not have the kids up and mom asking me for this and that. Changed my differentail fluids at 2am last Saturday. So if a thief is coming he best be ready as I might just greet him at the door. Hopefully with a big *** wrench in my hand.
Mud-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2009, 12:36 PM   #60
amike_321
2004 TJ Wrangler 

why not take the wheels off and leave it on cinder blocks?
amike_321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.