Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep

The Retrofit Source / JW Speaker LED Headlight GROUP BUY!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300

Unread 12-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #31
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyrider1119 View Post
starter fuse is located under the hood in front of the battery
Why the heck would someone go through that much trouble, seems like alot more pain than flicking a switch? just get simple kill switches

Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #32
biggn235
DAS Man

1994 XJ Cherokee 

What's the best way to wire in a switch for the fuel pump? Does anyone have a write up for this?

Past - 95YJ 99XJ 98XJ 05WK
biggn235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #33
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I think i saw how to make a kill switch the other week on the home page = ( now its gone
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 01:44 AM   #34
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

you could just disconnect the ground from the starter and run it to a switch. I have a push button switch so i have to run the key and push the button or the starter turn

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:11 AM   #35
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrible2 View Post
Why the heck would someone go through that much trouble, seems like alot more pain than flicking a switch? just get simple kill switches
X2, if you make whatever you do anything but convenient, you will end getting lazy and not using it all the time.
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #36
CLIMBaMTN
1995 YJ Wrangler 

just do a hidden kill switch...wire and a switch will run about $10 or less...

all these comments about "if they want it, they will tow it"....lol....ain't no theif gonna waste their time to steal a YJ with a tow truck...probably only a joyriding idiot car thief would target any jeep in the first place
CLIMBaMTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #37
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Jeeps of all types are a hot commodity to thieves because of the parts value and demand for said parts.
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #38
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why J? View Post
Doesn't somone make a relay that will kill any circuit it is plugged into with a key FOB? I saw this in a JP article a few months ago.

Basically it's just a relay and you plug it into say your fuel relay and when it is deactivated with the Key fob it kills that circuit. Would take a thief a little while to figure out.
I saw the same thing in JP a while back. I haven't been able to find it since. Has anyone else seen this? Unless the theif is carrying around spare relays it's not going to start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihall View Post
That and a hood lock. I bought one at camping world. It hooks to your battery and has a key fob that you use to activate it. It actually has three functions. If your battery gets down to 11 volts it shuts off the whole system that way when you get there hopefully there will be enough juice to start your engine. So I live in Southern Kaulifornia land of the expensive DMV and many crooks.
So I park my jeep push the disable button and put a steering wheel lock on. The last guy that tried to steal it cut the steering wheel to get the club off. Then he pulled the ignition, stuck in the old screwdriver and turned. The battery brain when it is set lets the engine start to turn over but to me it sounds just like a dead battery. Must have to this guy also. He hopped out and when he got to the hood and found the hood lock, well he gave up then probably figuring I had a dead battery. In the morning I set the battery brain and used his screwdriver to start my jeep. What a PITA to fix a yj ignition lock. I try to keep it in the garage now but I thank the battery brain for my jeep
That sounds like a pretty cool idea. I haven't seen them before.
2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:05 AM   #39
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I would go for a battery kill switch, hood lock, and fuel pump kill switch. The battery switch can be mounted under the hood, so someone would need to bust the hood lock, look around for that switch, and then try to start it with no fuel getting to the engine.All on top of motion sensor alarm.

I'm sure a good car theif would be able to get past that system given some time, but having the alarm can give you a heads up that something is going on. I can definately book it to my Jeep with a bat/gun/whatever in less time than it would take to figure that out.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #40
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Keep in mind too with a battery kill switch, you're going to be pissed off every time you turn on the radio and all the settings are reset. So now you have another wire to run for that.

You can pick up a decent alarm for $50 if you can wire it yourself, why not do it the right way?
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #41
unihall
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Battery Brain

When you hook up the battery brain to your battery it comes with all the wires and instructions to install it. It took me about 10 minutes to hook it up. it has a by pass function that keeps all your electronics up to snuff, in other words you do not lose any of your settings.BatteryBrain. The web site if you are interested. The real fact is that just about anything you do will help keep thieves from your jeep. The more sophisticated you get the harder it will be for them. In the end sadly if a pro wants your jeep he will probably get it.
unihall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 10:59 AM   #42
unihall
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Motion alarm

A good one is also a good idea. I know that no one seems to listen to them but in the middle of the night it sounds like all hell broke lose to a thief. And lastly don't forget to try and have some good insurance. Most of the insurance companies will rip you off if you give them a chance, but something is better than nothing if you are unfortunate enough to have your jeep stolen.
unihall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #43
beachedjeepyj
1988 YJ Wrangler 

so far im good on preventing my 88 from being stolen, all i need to do is dont fix the carb because whenever you push down on the pedal it stalls
by the time the figure out how lightly to press the pedal down ill be walking next to them with my dads billy club

[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/motorcraft-carb-swap-961766/[/url]
beachedjeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM   #44
StreetBMXer88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

.45 Acp............
StreetBMXer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #45
Floppy

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Another good idea is to install a 12volt Wireless FOB switch like this- Remote control fuel kill switch. Something different! Anyone done this? - MX-5 Miata Forum in between your fuel pump relay and pump. It's a $30 switch that will turn off your fuel pump wirelessly. Battery cut-offs are good ideas but the harder you make it for yourself to arm your security device, the less likely you are to actually do it. I know I'm not going to open my hood, turn off the battery and then lock my hood back down every time I go somewhere. The wireless switch is a good idea because you can do it as you're walking away, just like a car alarm.

2006 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom
1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle (sunroof and 1904cc motor)
1972 Volkswagen Super Beetle (wolfsburg edition)
Floppy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.