Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
Why J?
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't somone make a relay that will kill any circuit it is plugged into with a key FOB? I saw this in a JP article a few months ago.

Basically it's just a relay and you plug it into say your fuel relay and when it is deactivated with the Key fob it kills that circuit. Would take a thief a little while to figure out.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-pissed-wife-747535/
Phase II 5.3L/4L60e then NV3550
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...stall-1400506/
Why J? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
austentatious
2001 TJ Wrangler 

mine got sprayed by a skunk during a hunting trip. that keeps people away for awhile
austentatious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:51 PM   #18
4LarXedo4
1990 YJ Wrangler 

one of my upcoming projects is going to be the detachable steering wheel, similar to what racecars have, that way you just pop the steering wheel off and take it inside with you.
4LarXedo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #19
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LarXedo4 View Post
one of my upcoming projects is going to be the detachable steering wheel, similar to what racecars have, that way you just pop the steering wheel off and take it inside with you.
Do a grant securtiy wheel they come with a cap that locks on and it withh give the theif a second thought
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #20
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

DEI Python alarm with ignition kill and motion sensor. Works well.
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:24 PM   #21
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
DEI Python alarm with ignition kill and motion sensor. Works well.
might as well get a lojack for that price, atleast im assuming that alarm system will be near $600?
Atleast thats the exact same setup I had, but my motion sensors false alot = (
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:29 PM   #22
Jesse-James
1989 XJ Cherokee 

$280 installed. Mine used to false a lot but found it is a temperature problem. I readjust it in spring and late fall and it's been good since.
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:31 PM   #23
Blazin Den
1995 YJ Wrangler 

you can tap into the asd relay in the fuse box under the hood. just cut the ground wire going to that and run a toggle switch some where inside
95 White YJ 2.5L/AX-5 Stock on 31s. Ground Pounder Fab (BESRK) Front Bumper, Herculined Interior, Windshield/Front Bumper Mounted Lights, Uniden PRO 520XL Cb,Hidden Hitch Trailer Hitch, Bestop Supertop, Modified CJ7 Hardtop and CJ7 Twist Handle Full Doors (winter)
Blazin Den is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:41 PM   #24
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Why hasnt anyone suggested just removing the starter fuse. I doubt criminals carry around extra fuses with them. It seems as if it will take just as much time to open the hood and flip a disconnect switch as it would just to remove the #6 or #22 fuse. :-)
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:03 PM   #25
unihall
1994 YJ Wrangler 

BatterSy Brain

That and a hood lock. I bought one at camping world. It hooks to your battery and has a key fob that you use to activate it. It actually has three functions. If your battery gets down to 11 volts it shuts off the whole system that way when you get there hopefully there will be enough juice to start your engine. So I live in Southern Kaulifornia land of the expensive DMV and many crooks.
So I park my jeep push the disable button and put a steering wheel lock on. The last guy that tried to steal it cut the steering wheel to get the club off. Then he pulled the ignition, stuck in the old screwdriver and turned. The battery brain when it is set lets the engine start to turn over but to me it sounds just like a dead battery. Must have to this guy also. He hopped out and when he got to the hood and found the hood lock, well he gave up then probably figuring I had a dead battery. In the morning I set the battery brain and used his screwdriver to start my jeep. What a PITA to fix a yj ignition lock. I try to keep it in the garage now but I thank the battery brain for my jeep

Last edited by unihall; 12-11-2009 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: spelled battery wrong
unihall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #26
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta347 View Post
I usually pull off my igniton wire (from coil to dist) every time I park it somewhere super sketchy.

Otherwise I have a huge chain wrapped around my front bumper which is welded to the frame. I turn my wheels all the way left, feed the chain through both rims and lock it.

Sure you could bolt cut off the locks, but not many thieves in LA, atleast where I park around westwood, carry bolt cutters casually.
I'm liking this... I'm thinking, though, that one could run a cable from the lock cylinder to a new post in the vicinity of the distributor. When you secure the Jeep, remove the coil wire from the distributor and put it on the new post. When they turn the key, they zap the **** out of themselves.

A magnetic reed switch, mounted under the dash and in series with either the Neutral/Clutch switch or the starter switch. To start the Jeep, you'll have to wave a magnet over that spot. Keep a few magnets on the windshield frame.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #27
Missouribound
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Battery disc. under the hood, and a hood lock should do it. And as far a as valuables left behind, there are "safes" that use the tailgate as the door. Alarms only work when someone who cares is listening. An acquaintance of mine had an alarm system with a paging system, he spent half his day running after false alarms.
Missouribound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 02:06 AM   #28
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I dont understand battery disc under the hood? did you mean on a regular basis or regular storage?

wheres the starter fuse?
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #29
jerseyrider1119
1995 YJ Wrangler 

starter fuse is located under the hood in front of the battery
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.

I only read the pictures!

95 Rio Grande- 4" Pro Comp lift, 235x75r15 on stock Alloys, Boomerangs, Piolet Trail Lights, Hurc'd, No Sways or Trac, Custom Under Dash Wiring Harness
jerseyrider1119 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2009, 02:25 AM   #30
Mud-n-Beer
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tporter View Post
I have a 1992 yj soft top. Unfortunately I live in a area in Southern California where vehicle thefts run fairly high. I would like to put some type of device on my jeep that will make it harder to steal. I thought about a switch that I can hit that would shut off battery power, this way if they punch the ignition it still won't start. Any thoughts on this, is there a better solution out there that can help prevent someone from taking my jeep?
I'm a night person, as I work at night, but when I am at home, I keep a close eye on my vehicles, when I am up most of the night. If they can beat a 9mm. hand gun, or a shotgun, then the stuff that they just stole from me is theirs to keep. Just don't let me catch them, or I'll get em back in a bad way.

Last edited by Mud-n-Beer; 12-17-2009 at 06:39 AM..
Mud-n-Beer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.