Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 12-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
tporter
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ideas for anti theft system on Jeep

I have a 1992 yj soft top. Unfortunately I live in a area in Southern California where vehicle thefts run fairly high. I would like to put some type of device on my jeep that will make it harder to steal. I thought about a switch that I can hit that would shut off battery power, this way if they punch the ignition it still won't start. Any thoughts on this, is there a better solution out there that can help prevent someone from taking my jeep?

Unread 12-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
cormac827
1998 TJ Wrangler 

kill switch hidden somewhere odd.
cormac827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
Mud-Hunter
2005 TJ Wrangler 

120 pound White German Shepherd works wonders! 8) J/K Have you ever checked out the Viper line as it has some wicked features. Good Luck and the kill switch is ace!

Last edited by Mud-Hunter; 12-14-2009 at 10:13 AM..
Mud-Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Kill switch saved my car from being stolen. get a fuel pump one and battery one. Then also get the club, I think theres a Gorilla club which is way stouter than the standard club. Thats really all you need, I wouldnt waste my time with an alarm, maybe Lojack (but spendy). I also lived in San Diego when it was almost stolen.
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #5
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i just leave anything of value in my jeep. i think the most valuable thing in it might be the gas. i just lock my tank and leave the rest open since it doesnt lock anyhow and ive never had probs--even with just a bikini top on and going downtown for classes
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The problem with a battery kill switch is that its easy to tell that there is such a switch. No power? Check the battery (good), now lets go look for an oddly placed switch and see if that turns on the power. All if this happens while there is no noise being made of course.

Now you wire a kill switch for the ignition (or fuel pump as mentioned above if you are FI), and the theif pops the ignition, starts cranking, and the Jeep never will fire. If it turns over but won't start (all the while making a lot of noise), they aren't going to spend much time trying to figure out what's going on before they bail.

Of course, if they really want it they'll just show up with a tow truck repo style and its gone. Mine stays in the garage.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Terrible2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well that tow truck is going to make a **** ton of noise. But yea if they want it theyre going to take it even if youve got a kill switch or what youve got. But youre trying to thwart those other criminals who arent professionals. And if youve got a battery kill switch and hood lock, youre going to take up more of their time, time they dont want to spend. Just my insight into criminal minds atleast = )
Terrible2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #8
ElvisV04290
1990 YJ Wrangler 

One neat idea I've seen (only for manual transmissions) is to take a long shackle padlock and lock the brake and clutch peddle together. Seems like it might help prevent theft or at least make shifting a pain...
1990 YJ, Colorado Red with 'Laredo' markings, 4.2L, TF999, NP231, Valvoline Syn fluids, Weber 32/36, Nutter Bypass, Dana 30/35, 16" Electric Fan, Optima Yellow Top, 140amp alt., K&N Air Filter, Cherry Bomb muffler, SRC Front Bumper, CH&F Shackles, KC 100w Daylighters, Homemade Lightbar, Rear Aux lights, Cobra CB/PA/WX, 102" Whip Ant., 400 watt power inverter, 2 fire extinguishers, Mobile Internet & WiFi equipped.
Daily Driver since April 23rd, 2003

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club Member www.extremejeepclub.com
Weber 32/36 Install -> http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/weber-32-36-install-write-up-382309/
Early YJ Club Member #37
For anyone with a 4.2L --> http://groups.jeepforum.com/258s_Unite
ElvisV04290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
jeepdude1987
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If your dealing with a hot-wiring/key cylinder punching kind of person they are looking for opportunity if they do it up, and it doesn't start they may look around for a while, but if you have a hood lock and battery kill switch under the hood they probably aren't sticking around long enough to figure that out especially if you park in well light areas with people around.

As far as the tow truck thing goes you would be shocked how fast and quiet they can get something up and gone. But, then your jeep isn't probably worth as much as most of the vehicles around and pros work like a buisness they look for low risk high payout.
jeepdude1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #10
autoboy454
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisV04290 View Post
One neat idea I've seen (only for manual transmissions) is to take a long shackle padlock and lock the brake and clutch peddle together. Seems like it might help prevent theft or at least make shifting a pain...
LOVING that anti-theft idea! Would love to see someone try to shift and brake at the same time
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:00 PM   #11
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Hella Lighting 002843011 - Hella Battery Master Switch with Key - Quadratec

SOLUTION
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #12
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The UNBREAKABLE AutoLock PRO - LAW1640

another option
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisV04290 View Post
seen that done before works well.. I jsut unplug my coil and leave it kinda hanging over, cant notice it at first look and wont start....cranks all day tho, gives me time to hear them and grab my bat

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:07 PM   #14
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I usually pull off my igniton wire (from coil to dist) every time I park it somewhere super sketchy.

Otherwise I have a huge chain wrapped around my front bumper which is welded to the frame. I turn my wheels all the way left, feed the chain through both rims and lock it.

Sure you could bolt cut off the locks, but not many thieves in LA, atleast where I park around westwood, carry bolt cutters casually.
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoboy454 View Post
LOVING that anti-theft idea! Would love to see someone try to shift and brake at the same time
You dont need a clutch to shift. You can shift freely when the rpms are at the correct level without ever touching the clutch on a car. Clutches where made to make your life easier.

Buy yourself a grant steering wheel lock. I take my steering wheel in the house with me when its not in use and put the cover lock on.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.