I want to up grade my sound system. For cheap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I want to up grade my sound system. For cheap

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
MyJeepWillRock
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I want to up grade my sound system. For cheap

At the moment my radio doesn't even work but I want to fix it.
- I want to put 2 8 in. subs under/in my rear seat.
*I have saw people talking about it but i don't know how to do that.

And the wiring how would I do that, what do i need to connect the subs to my radio and make it work and Bump?

MyJeepWillRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are going to have to do a little research to make this idea work properly. The only component you're leaving out is the amplifier. It supplies the power to make the "bump" as you say. Sound quality and clarity is better than sheer power. I used to design subwoofer boxes and got a pretty good handle on the slot port design for open cabs and trunk spaces. You'll need to plan it out correctly of you want it to work. What do you have already?
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #3
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

There is a complete Electrical, audio, GPS and 2 way radio sub forum to Jeepforum. Here is the link. Ask them for ideas.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
You are going to have to do a little research to make this idea work properly. The only component you're leaving out is the amplifier. It supplies the power to make the "bump" as you say. Sound quality and clarity is better than sheer power. I used to design subwoofer boxes and got a pretty good handle on the slot port design for open cabs and trunk spaces. You'll need to plan it out correctly of you want it to work. What do you have already?
I learn something new about you every day...

And to the OP I say just get a simple 10" kicker from best buy that fits behind the rear seat and an amp that's around 300watts and a wiring kit from Walmart. I had the same set up on mine with a 400watt amp around $220 complete.

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #5
Anticanman
Follow Me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

A quick search turned this up

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/s...-seat-1104073/
Unread 09-18-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
Carlos14
Afraid of the Dark

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That's, awesome!

Quote:
I think you're skewing the facts. Clarity is relative. Our job is to lead people to the kingdom of heaven, not make them think they're looking at it. :D
Poison Spyder Hood Louver Install
Carlos14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Kuntryboy816
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Look up "SirGCal" on here or Google. He's a Mod on here (JF) I believe. He designed a sub box that functions as your rear seat. I got an old YJ rear bench for $10 and plan on converting mine into a single 12" box. Right now I'm running a cheapo sub box from Walmart and a Sony 2 channel amp (1000w) for all 4 speakers and sub. Sounds good at the moment but the box is a PIA to work around and had to add spacers between it and the tailgate for it to work.
A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government. -George Washington
Kuntryboy816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I picked up a used 10" box designed for pickup trucks and small cars for $40 at a local Facebook garage sale site. It came with a pair of 300W 10's and horn style tweeters. Picked up a decent, used, 1000W amp for $50 from Craigslist and a $60 wiring harness from Wal-Mart. $150 and a morning's labor and they can hear me coming a block away.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audio , electronics , radio , subwoffer

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.