I want to disturb the peace - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
MN_Sasquatch

I want to disturb the peace

So I finally got my YJ yesterday, and I was woundering if i can put a glasspack on it without affecting anything. I want to take the CAT and muffler off, but is there an O2 sensor on it, and if so where? Oh and its a 93 with a 4.0 with EFI. And I dont have to worry about emissions because no one does in Minnesota. Emissions? Whats that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 09:01 AM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

your o2 sensor is in your header. you can remove the cat and entire exhaust without any worries... aside from a slight shift in your powerband and a much louder exhaust note

-Erik <--- runs borla header and a flowmaster 40 series, no cat, sounds great

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
MN_Sasquatch

sweeet

post #4 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 10:23 AM
dyna

Should sound like one of the busses in Tijuana. Cool.
post #5 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
MN_Sasquatch

it should sound like a Harley with a V8 if its anything like my XJ, then again that has a 2.8 self oiling POS, so maybe it will be almost as bad as the hicks around here who run no exaughst, then again ive done that before , oh well
post #6 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 PM
lutzke21
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Actually, isn't it on the down tube and not the header???

-Scott

'94 YJ on 35s

M C L M M
post #7 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 08:48 PM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

it's right at the collector in my borla header... not sure about stock though i was thinkig it was at the collector also.... but i have nothing to look at to see.

either way, it's before the cat which was the real question. good point though.

'89 Wrangler, 4.0/AW4, 106" Wheelbase, SOA, custom XJ packs, 2" Body. Front High Pinion Dana 44 w/yukon super-joints, chromo inners and outers, and a Lincoln Locker. Rear Dana 60 w/Yukon 1.5" 35 Spline chomo shafts and detroit locker. 5.38 Yukon Gears. Hydro-Assist, 39.5x18" Boggers on 15x12 RockKrawler's w/ 2.75" of backspacing. Comp cut, tube fenders, custom bumpers and rock sliders, fuel cell, CB, Stewart Warner Gauges, SmittyBilt XRC8 Winch, 140 Amp CS-144 Alternator, Electric Fan, and a cooler of beer. 3897 lbs

post #8 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 09:02 PM
Git-R-Done

how would a glass pack sounf with the cat still on and running 2.5L efi. I know when i just had the cat and no muffler at the time on my 94, it sounded like and Enduro car, and was really loud when down shifting lol. I may just put my Dynomax muffler off my truck on it.
post #9 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
bobbert350

well if u want to disturb the peace just put a downpipe off the header and thats it..thats what i got right now while im fixing my exhaust leak sounds good but not like a v8 or anything...but when u go under bridges and pop the petal it hurts my ear drums
post #10 of 20 Old 11-05-2006, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
MN_Sasquatch

sweet, who needs there hearing any way
post #11 of 20 Old 11-06-2006, 02:47 AM
Dmrennells
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have been using a glass pack since i tore off my last muffler, they are cheaper and catch less. more power and mpg too. as for sound, its a little louder, but sounds like a swarm of bees
post #12 of 20 Old 11-06-2006, 06:29 AM
raStapiMpjaY
1995 YJ Wrangler 

im not trying to start anything here but seriously why does everyone have an affinity with taking out the cat? its there for a reason, it is converting dangerous exhaust chemicals to something more eco friendly. everyone seems to follow the whole "tread lightly" thing so why destroy the atmosphere too? Also, you actually lose a few HP by cutting it out... if you want to gain HP & sound just pony up the extra $200 and get a high flow performance cat

and before you say "you have no clue what you are talking about!" i have a degree in mechanical engineering concentrating in automotive engineering design... i could prob search and find this in one of my old text books somewhere
post #13 of 20 Old 11-06-2006, 07:11 AM
XJtheTanK

I run a cat- my buddy who did the exhaust said it is empty of all the metals it should have in it- and run a Cherry Bomb muffler. It makes my 2.5 sound like a 6 cyl, and has added a few ponies. I would say to check those out- yeah the muffler is made for tuners, but it will work for your jeep
post #14 of 20 Old 11-06-2006, 07:35 AM
Big-n-Broke-YJ
BUILT. NOT BOUGHT.

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raStapiMpjaY
im not trying to start anything here but seriously why does everyone have an affinity with taking out the cat? its there for a reason, it is converting dangerous exhaust chemicals to something more eco friendly. everyone seems to follow the whole "tread lightly" thing so why destroy the atmosphere too? Also, you actually lose a few HP by cutting it out... if you want to gain HP & sound just pony up the extra $200 and get a high flow performance cat

and before you say "you have no clue what you are talking about!" i have a degree in mechanical engineering concentrating in automotive engineering design... i could prob search and find this in one of my old text books somewhere

by not having a cat, my jeep has one less thing to break, dent, damage, clog, etc.... there is my reasoning behind it.

you are 100% right about the enviroment, but i guess i'm too thick headed to accept that.

however, your statement that you'll lose horsepower by removing it is pretty misleading/flat out wrong. I've never dyno'd a wrangler before and after removing a cat but i have done so on 2 of my old small block chevy powered trucks, my turbo eclipse, my turbo honda, my naturally aspirated 1200cc road race car, and even my buddies vulcan motorcycle....... they all picked up at least a few horsepower throughout the powerband but mostly up top. none of them lost any power anywhere through the powerband..... you may find an old text book somewhere that will argue with what my results were by removing the cat but i have the dyno sheets to PROVE that removing the catalytic convertors on these vehicles gained me hp without loosing any hp or torque throughout the entire powerband.

post #15 of 20 Old 11-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Jeepfreak81

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-n-Broke-YJ
by not having a cat, my jeep has one less thing to break, dent, damage, clog, etc.... there is my reasoning behind it.

you are 100% right about the enviroment, but i guess i'm too thick headed to accept that.

however, your statement that you'll lose horsepower by removing it is pretty misleading/flat out wrong. I've never dyno'd a wrangler before and after removing a cat but i have done so on 2 of my old small block chevy powered trucks, my turbo eclipse, my turbo honda, my naturally aspirated 1200cc road race car, and even my buddies vulcan motorcycle....... they all picked up at least a few horsepower throughout the powerband but mostly up top. none of them lost any power anywhere through the powerband..... you may find an old text book somewhere that will argue with what my results were by removing the cat but i have the dyno sheets to PROVE that removing the catalytic convertors on these vehicles gained me hp without loosing any hp or torque throughout the entire powerband.
From what I have read, if the vehicle is quite new, you will lose some power, (but depends on motor/manufacturer) usually 96+ (OBD II)and that is due to it was designed with the cat in mind, and these vehicles have a cat with very low restrictions anyway, motors like the older SBC in my YJ that were not designed with emissions in mind will be woken up a bit not having it on there. I have heard this encompasses many FI vehicles, but anymore it is not 100% certain you will gain power every time, it really dpeends on the motor. Many of the newer vehicles have a 2nd downstream O2 sensor and will not run right without it, unless you have it programmed out of the loop.

But I am with you, Dual exaust on my YJ, If I had to replace 2 cats fram bashing them on things every wheeling trip I would be broke.

94 V8 YJ, SOA, H1's, 37's, HP D44, D60, 4.88's, winch and some other goodies
1946 CJ2A, 225 V6, T98 D18, Warn OD, D30/D44. Dual winches mild lift & 34's
1966 M416 1/4 ton Military Trailer Expo Trailer
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.