Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I think something major broke need help

2K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  gtg413i 
#1 ·
I just bought a 1990 Wrangler with a 4.2L and a 3spd auto I have got the engine running a lot better due to everyone's helpful knowledge here so here is the issue

my jeep had started making a loud pop here and there that felt like it was right under me I thought maybe a ujoint was going bad but later on the popping started getting worst and worst till it would pop several times in a row only when I was accelerating forward I then headed home by the time I got to my road the popping was almost constant before I reached my driveway the jeep made a horrible utter death grinding noise and lost forward power I then placed it in park the grinding stopped put it in gear went forward with the normal popping ten again sheer death grinding no power to wheels so I pushed it to its spot and looked underneath nothing looked out of place so I really need help here guys

#2 ·
Could be any number of things but my first wild guess is the transfer case chain.

get it up on jack stands and start turning the wheels and try to find the source. You might need to disconnect the drive shafts but start with it all together.

#5 ·
:laugh:

#12 ·
You did this with it up on stands?

#14 ·
Sounds to me like you have a bent or cracked flex plate.

A cracked flex plate will cause the popping sound until the crack gets large enough to separate and then it will cause the grinding sound. It will only do it under load. Tires up in the air isn't enough load to cause the stress fracture to be an issue.

#16 ·
Sounds to me like you have a bent or cracked flex plate.

A cracked flex plate will cause the popping sound until the crack gets large enough to separate and then it will cause the grinding sound. It will only do it under load. Tires up in the air isn't enough load to cause the stress fracture to be an issue.
ok whats the flex plate do? where is it located? and how do I check it? :3

#17 ·
The flexplate takes the place of the flywheel on automatic transmission vehicles. It bolts to the end of the crankshaft and attaches to the torque converter. There is also a large gear attached, used by the starter to crank the engine.

A good read:http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/220

The only way to inspect it is to remove the engine or the transmission.

What does a cracked flex plate sound like? Read this and the replies
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/what-does-a-cracked-flexplate-sound-like.189833/

Here is your replacement part:http://www.quadratec.com/products/52023_0006.htm

#24 ·
old transfer case makes a smacking sound when I move the drive shaft back and forth I guess thats the chain in their I just cant get the dang transfer case off got all the bolts unhooked its just stuck even tried kicking it as hard as I can and bashing it with a sledge hammer with all my force and it wont budge

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.