I think that my rear passenger side wheel sits further up than my driver side wheel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I think that my rear passenger side wheel sits further up than my driver side wheel

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 11-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #1
Klipsch20
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I think that my rear passenger side wheel sits further up than my driver side wheel

my rear passenger side wheel has rubbed against my fender flare but my driver side wheel has not, i think my passenger side wheel sits further up towards the front than the driver side wheel does. i dont drive recklessly, such as dumping the clutch or anything like that. if this is the case how can i for sure find out that the wheel is sitting further up than the other? and how can i find out what is causing this? such as maybe the frame is bent? or the axle isnt straight? if it is one or the other can i fix this on my own or do i have to take it to a mechanic? i know if the frames bent it is considered totaled so theres nothing i can do, but please help!

Klipsch20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
jaycal3
Web Wheeler
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Is your Jeep sitting level or is one side slightly lower due to bad or sagging springs? Are your flares even? Is the tire pressure the same? Measure from wheel to wheel front to rear and see if there is a difference but I would be surprised if one sits more forward than the other...

Do your part for Leukemia research - help find a cure.
http://mskcc.convio.net/goto/Jay_Calabrese
KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Look carefully for a broken rear main leaf.

Is it sagging?

And a bent frame is not totaled but would mean a trip to a decent body shop with a frame rack.
Unread 11-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Under load, the right rear wheel always lifts due to torque. If measurement of each side on level ground is close, fogettaboutit.
Unread 11-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Measure from the axle tube by where the end flange is at, to the center of the rear-most tcase skid bolt. Do this exactly the same on each side & compare the figures you get.

If the axle has shifted forwards, the leaf spring centerpin could either be dislodged from the spring perch, or the head snapped off the centerpin. Either case can cause the axle to shift.

If the ubolts have stretched or are loose, the centerpin can shift as well.

I've seen where an axle tube had spun in the diff housing & caused the axle to shift because the most effected side spring is twisted.
Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #6
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Measure from the axle tube by where the end flange is at, to the center of the rear-most tcase skid bolt. Do this exactly the same on each side & compare the figures you get.

If the axle has shifted forwards, the leaf spring centerpin could either be dislodged from the spring perch, or the head snapped off the centerpin. Either case can cause the axle to shift.

If the ubolts have stretched or are loose, the centerpin can shift as well.

I've seen where an axle tube had spun in the diff housing & caused the axle to shift because the most effected side spring is twisted.
Welcome to the forum.
I was going to suggest outermost rear tube to outermost front tube on both sides but your method eliminates the front axle being out of wack further confusing the situation... OP, do what Joe said and post your results please.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #7
napaguy

A picture would be helpful
napaguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axle bearings , frame repair , rear axle , wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.