I test drove a '89 4cyl. 1-owner with 98,000 original miles and... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I test drove a '89 4cyl. 1-owner with 98,000 original miles and...

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #16
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I'll have to cruise though Indiana craigslist to get a feel for the price--but initially I'm thinking... 4cylinder, '89, old rollbar, along with other caveats of the older ones--carb, transmission...(not hating on carb, I love tinkering with them, it just sounds like you're not set on tearing too much into this bad boy--you just want a reliable fun ride. correct me if I'm wrong!)

It's not that $3000 is bad, it's just part of me thinks that if you could find a 94-95 6 cylinder with decent mileage even several thousand more, it would be totally worth paying another grand. Just my opinion. If I tell someone to be patient I'm generally pretty hypocritical--it's hard for me--but when I have had patience with stuff like this it ALWAYS pays off.

Good luck!!

goAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM   #17
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I know a guy who wheels with us and he runs an 88YJ 4 banger. Drips, leaks, and a little underpowered. But he manages to get there. I would rather have a 6 cylinder, but for what it's worth, if it's in good condition it could be worth it.
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #18
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well I looked for over a year for a YJ priced under $2500 that wasn't a POS so the price doesn't sound too bad. I ended up buying a POS, but at least I got it for $1200...

A 94-95 with a 6 cyl will go for $5K or more around here unless it is a complete rust bucket. Most with a 6 cyl are $5K + unless they are rotted. We have a lot of rust here in the Midrust.

:-)
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #19
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
1- The E-Brake never works. Period.
I have never had a YJ that the E-brake DIDNT work in. As long as the rear shoes are adjusted correctly and the cables are adjusted tight and the ratchet mechanism isnt worn out your e-brake will work. There isnt anything more to the system.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:10 PM   #20
comancheklein
1995 YJ Wrangler 

E brakes are an easy fix theoretically...they are always just rusted to hell and suck big time
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:18 PM   #21
BEETROOT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destr0 View Post
A 94-95 with a 6 cyl will go for $5K or more around here unless it is a complete rust bucket. Most with a 6 cyl are $5K + unless they are rotted. We have a lot of rust here in the Midrust.
Yep. Very hard to come by a decent 6 cyl for cheap.

$3,000 sounds like a fair price for the one you are looking at.
BEETROOT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 03:29 PM   #22
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEETROOT View Post
Yep. Very hard to come by a decent 6 cyl for cheap.

$3,000 sounds like a fair price for the one you are looking at.
There was a rust bucket YJ down the street from me, rotted rear frame and all. Guy wanted $5500. Crazy. Had softball size holes all over it (including floorboards, fenders and frame!).

He finally changed the sign on it to say "do not insult me with your low offers" so I called and offered him $750.

He still has it almost a year later, but he took the for sale signs off.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #23
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

1. There's not too much to the E-brake. On mine, the cable seized up. I replaced the cable and it worked fine.
2. My radio didn't work when I first got it. You can get one for $50.

I paid $3500 for my '95, 99K miles, no rust. $3000 for an '89 seems reasonable.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.