I test drove a '89 4cyl. 1-owner with 98,000 original miles and... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I test drove a '89 4cyl. 1-owner with 98,000 original miles and...

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Brazuca
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I test drove a '89 4cyl. 1-owner with 98,000 original miles and...

...I maybe buying it. As you probably know by now, I'm searching a YJ to use in town specially weekends with my sons and light trails, basically no highway or commuting. This YJ is a 5 speed, solid floor boards, some rust on the fender that I plan to change. There are only two issues: no radio and no emergency brake. It drives really nice and the owner uses it daily to work. My questions:
1- Is it difficult to fix the e-brake ? Why it is not working? Should I be worried?
2- A new radio/CD player should be easy to install.
3- It has the sport bar and not the family style, is it dangerous ?

Thanks.

Brazuca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #2
SR2K

1- The E-Brake never works. Period.
2- There are a number of aftermarket set ups for a stereo. If its not going to be a commuter car though, you really dont need it, you have trouble hearing it over the jeep sounds anyway.
3-Its a Jeep, its dangerous. Is a sport style more dangerous for the rear occupants yes, front, no not really. If you really want you can always scrap yard up a family style and swap em.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Family bars are better of course if you have family back there. Its just better, some convert and just buy the family cage used, and install that themselves. The e-brake, it could be just the wratcheting system lever is worn out, if that's the case, you can find a complete bolt in replacement for a little over 100 bucks new.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
nightmoves
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR2K View Post
1- The E-Brake never works. Period.
2- There are a number of aftermarket set ups for a stereo. If its not going to be a commuter car though, you really dont need it, you have trouble hearing it over the jeep sounds anyway.
3-Its a Jeep, its dangerous. Is a sport style more dangerous for the rear occupants yes, front, no not really. If you really want you can always scrap yard up a family style and swap em.
!. I beg to differ sir my ebrake works fine.
Unread 05-03-2011, 07:52 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Keep looking for a 6 cylinder, else you will be back in 6 months wanting "more power".

Seriously, the 4 bangers are dogs.
Unread 05-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The 4 bangers aren't bad. People talk about them like it's the worst thing they have ever driven, but if all you're going to do is some wheeling, and no highway stuff, a 4 banger is going to be fine.

30" tires would probably be the biggest I'd go on a stock lift- I have a 1" shackle lift and 31" tires are beastly, they rub sort of when the axles flex all the way. Also I had to put wheel spacers up front to keep the fires from rubbing when steering.
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
Brazuca
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone. I will go back later today and offer $3,000 for the Jeep. It's a 4 cyl, but drove nice, one-owner, 98,000 miles, clear AutoCheck and the only rust is on the top of the driver's fender (which I will probably replace soon if I get the Jeep). Frame is good and floorboards are good without rust, which I think it's a good sign. Since I will not be doing any off-roading now with two small kids, the sports bars is OK for driving around town with them, I don't see a problem. Down the road, I could modify it to a family style bar. I'll let you know if indeed I buy it and the seller takes my offer.
Unread 05-04-2011, 07:36 AM   #8
xaran
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Around town the 4cyl is not bad at all and with a gearing change not bad on the fwy either. i run mine a few times a month to and from work in So Ca on 70 miles of Ca freeway and its OK. Not much in acceration but holds its speed at 65 -75 mph easily since the gear change to 4:88.

There was a factory Recall on the E brakes mechanisim, you may want to stop at the Jeep Dealer and see if yours is included in the recall. For mine they replaced the whole pedel assembly
1995 YJ, 2.5 l, 4:88 R&P
4" RC Lift, 1" BL, 32-11.5-15 tires
8000 lb HF Winch
xaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #9
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You are in IN like me, so the 4 cylinder will not be too bad. The only place mine has ever really made me wish I had more power was when I went to KY to visit my dad. Bill hills are the bane of the 4 cylinder.

If you do not plan on offroading, with 31 and smaller tires the 2.5 is fine on the highway. On 31s (that measure closer to 32s at 31.8" tall) mine would do 80 on the highway. Yeah it took a little while to get there and on descent hills on I65 it would go down to 65 before reaching the top, but that is plenty fast in a YJ. :-)
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am driving a 4cyl Yj and have 31s on stock suspension. Not a lot of power but it will hold 75 when I drive to school and back. I have no complains other than gas mileage sucks on the freeway
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJteen View Post
I am driving a 4cyl Yj and have 31s on stock suspension. Not a lot of power but it will hold 75 when I drive to school and back. I have no complains other than gas mileage sucks on the freeway
Gas mileage sucks? Mine got close to 20 on the highway (if I cruised at 70, it got a lot worse if I tried to go 80, lol) when I was on 31s. I don't see much of a difference on the highway now that I am on 35s, but around town it really made a big difference. For instance I drove all highway to a friend's shop this weekend. It was 1 hour 45 min away. I went there and back on about 1/2 tank. I then drove to work and back (36 miles each way) with a couple stops on the way so I took surface roads. That too took 1/2 tank...

I have not calculated the mileage yet becasue gas costs so much now I am only doing 1/2 tank at a time rather than the normal fill-ups.

Cheers!
~K
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
Brazuca
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJteen View Post
Wow, you have a nice Rio Grande, specially with those American Racing wheels, did you buy it already in such a great shape or you brought it back to such good shape ? How many miles on yours ? Thanks for the comments.
Unread 05-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
Bubbie
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I too have an '89 4cyl, but with only 48K miles

I have a 2.5" OME lift with 31" Goodyear Duratracs, I'm getting ready to drive it 6 hours (each way) from Boulder to Moab, over the continental divide. I'll update how that goes.

1. My E-brake works - there is no reason why yours cant be in working condition for a few bucks.
2. You CAN hear the radio, even on the highway. I upgraded my in-dash speakers to Polk MOMO 4x6's (Marine speakers) and I can hear them just fine. The difficulty of installing a new head unit will depend on how the existing wiring looks. You will have to solder about 8-10 wires from a harness to the Jeep wiring. This is not too difficult, even if you've never soldered. There are plenty of writeups showing which color wires are what (Ground, Power, Aux Power, FL Speaker (+ and -), FR Speaker (+ and -), Antenna (no solder)... Actually, I think that is is.
3. Family roll bar is obviously safer than sport. That being said, my dad, who was very conservative with safety, had myself and my friends ride in the back of the Jeep growing up. Buckle up, drive safe.

Sounds like a nice YJ - enjoy!!!
Unread 05-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #14
1991Wrangler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a '91 4-cyl, and my ebrake does the job, but the best part is the overhead sound bar. I hear everything no matter how quiet or loud cause its only six inches from my head, so I don't need to pump the volume. (i do anyway...) I have the family roll bar in mine, I personally think it looks better, and I have people back there a lot so it made sense. got the rollbar from a junkyard. as far as the 4 cyl, I do notice that it struggles on big hills sometimes, but never while wheeling.
Unread 05-04-2011, 10:04 AM   #15
Brazuca
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks again folks, I'm in Indiana, therefore hills will not be the problem Let's see. What do you think of the price of $3,000 ? Rust only on the driver's fender.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.