I screwed up the Nutter Bypass!!!!!! HELP ME - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I screwed up the Nutter Bypass!!!!!! HELP ME

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-21-2002, 02:42 PM   #1
Brendan

I screwed up the Nutter Bypass!!!!!! HELP ME

I tried to do the Nutter Bypass today, but I failed. The first thing that tipped me off was that the purple wire leading away from the distributor seemed to be 16 gage like the orange wire, but when I got to the firewall, the orange was still 16 and the purple seemed to be 18. Next I noticed that one of the three wires (there are four coming out of the box, but the purple stops) leading from the ignition box had been split into three wires two of which lead back into the wire mass that goes back toward the other side of the engine and the other went into the firewall. The other wire Light green went into the wire mass too. I cut the 18 gage purple wire and connected it to the purple wire coming out of the ignition box. I don't know what to connect to where, I cut both of the green wires and connected both of them to the orange wire ( at different times) to try and start my car, but it won't start. Please help, if you have done this bypass please tell me what colors go where, and if your purple wire was 18 or 16. I need to drive to school tomorrow. Thanks for any help. THIS SUCKS!!!! I was afraid I'd screw up like this

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2002, 02:48 PM   #2
Brendan

-

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Unread 01-21-2002, 07:18 PM   #3
iamthemellowman

Sorry about your badluck,, however this 'nutter bypass' is new to me.. What is this, and what are the results of doing this?
Unread 01-21-2002, 07:31 PM   #4
Brendan

Go to: http://www.outdoorwire.com/4x4/jeep/...jn-ignition99/

I got my jeep running. It runs a little better than it did, I live in ct and I took it out for a test run at 9 pm in 20 degree weather, so my results aren't ideal. It is supposed to help your ignition a lot. Basically the downfall of all carbureted jeeps is teh computer. It screws up the carb and almost everything else under the hood. Since i'm 17 I will do anything for free horsepower. I am in the process of removing all the emisions controls and alot of the wiring.

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Unread 01-22-2002, 05:31 AM   #5
West

When I did the nutter bypass I opted to avoid messing with factory harness at all. Since I knew that older Fords used duraspark ignition, I went to a junkyard and bought the harness that runs from the module to the distributor off a mid 70s truck. instead of cutting and splicing I just plugged in the new harness and attached the wire to the coil. It cost me 5 bucks which I suppose is exepnsive compared to a few crimp connecters but it worked perfectly.
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2002, 07:06 AM   #6
glm 87 wrangler

Ok Duvie the purple wire going into the igniton module is were you tap into at.You simply splice into it.You cut the purple up close to the firewall.Add your extra wire there and tap into it at the puprle that stops just before the ignition module.You simply tap into it or splice into it.
Unread 01-22-2002, 10:27 AM   #7
glm 87 wrangler

Duvie email me with details on what you are looking at so i can help you better.And also be carefull on what wires you remove from the emissions.I just left most of mine setting out of the way.Steper motor plugins and what nots.Look at west posting i am scared on giving tips on this because the directions were fairly straight forword.But west has a good hint hidden in there as to direct wire.Think about it orange into orange purple spliced into purple you can direct wire if you understand what i mean.Find the orange at the module and purple at the plug to the module and you may also slice into that way.Think about it..But email me first..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.