I need super tips for my 87 YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need super tips for my 87 YJ

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 02-16-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
budello
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I need super tips for my 87 YJ

Hi guys
I write from Rome, Italy, so be patience with my english, it's not so good.

My 1987 YJ now has a 258 i6, tf999 transmission and np231 transfer case, weber 32/36 carb, nuttered, team rushed.

The engine: smoke a little white and drink a bit of water

The transmission: leaks oil anywhere has a thin crack on the bell starting from the bolt hole on the engine driver side until the transmission pump. Grind nose if I push hard on gas pedal.

The transfer case: having hard time to use in 4HI (jump in neutral itself), leaks a bit of oil, need a sye.

I need tips to make the right choice about the next 3 issue.

1) Engine: i have in my garage a brand new (not rebuilt, brand new!) 258 I6 that I want upgrade with a 4.0 head. I read in the forum all positive feedback about 4.0 head swap. Anyones has negative feedback about it???

2) Transmission:
A ) I have a 89 tf999 for spare, not working but with a good case. I can try to use it to rebuild my tf999. I never do it, but my mechanical skills are good enough to try to do it by myself, but i don't know where buy the right master rebuild kit and the right torque converter, i still not understand if my tf999 has a mechanical lockup or not.
B ) I'm considering to buy in usa a rebuilded tf999 ready to install.
Can you say me a serious rebuilder?
C ) I'm considering too the th350 rebuilded transmission on the novak adapter website with adapter for amc motor and transfer case. what do you think about? Is the th350 really better than tf999?

I'm not considering to get my transmission rebuilded in italy because it will cost me 2000Ä (2600$) without any warranty on the work. Auto transmission are not popular so it's very hard to find a serious automatic transmission repair shop.

3) Transfer case:
A) I have a d300 that works fine and need only new gaskets an seals. I can buy a flip kit and go with it
B) overhaul my 231 and install a sye

I know that if i use different transmission or t-case i need new driveshafts but this in not a problem.

Any other tips are welcome.

What do you do if it is your YJ ????

Thanks in advance at anyone that help me to make the right choice

Marco

budello is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.