I need some help (soft top) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need some help (soft top)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-10-2011, 06:39 PM   #1
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I need some help (soft top)

Ok guys, here's the story. The other day I was driving down the highway with the full soft top on (uppers and all) I noticed something, for a lack of better words, fly at me, from the top of the windshield. Close examination while driving (slowly) concluded that it was a screw from the channel for the front of the soft top to attach to the windshield. So I just took of the channel and noticed this.

image-3835236350.jpg

6 of the 11 holes for the bolts look like this. Is this normal for a 22 yr old jeep? Are there any cures to reduce the fatigue of the metal when the soft top is on?

Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Collin89Sahara
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Here is a pic of the channel with the screws as tight as they can go.

image-2058670849.jpg

Sorry for the bad phone pics. From top to bottom is channel then gap between frame of windshield.
Collin89Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Spuznick242
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm. It looks to be expected from a 22 year old jeep. One option is to go with a completely new windshield channle (just an option, I didnt say the best), another option would be to hammer down the pushed up metal and put in new self tapping screws, you could re drill the channel in other spots so your not screwing into the same old metal, I think your best bet would be self tapping screws screwed into fresh(er) metal but get some paint on that rust and seal up those holes before your windshield frame turns to dust.
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #4
NotThePainter
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had mine pull off at highway speed. I didn't want to mess with ALL the enlarged holes that I found so I drilled fresh holes through the top and bottom and dropped a stainless bolt through it. On the inside bottom I have a stainless washer. No way is it going to pull out now! I siliconed all the holes to keep water out.
NotThePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just drill new holes and use stainless self tapping sheet metal screws. Drill through your existing channel and into the windsheild.

We all have 2 to 3 times as many screws holding our windsheild channels down on our YJs.

Like the others said, silicone everything up.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.