I need opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need opinions

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I need opinions

Hello everyone,

I have taken a video of the noise my engine is making and I need opinions on what it sounds like

From what I can tell, it sounds like its coming from the front of the motor, it sounds like a bottom end noise but I can't tell for sure. I had a mechanic look at it and he says it sounds like its coming from the timing chain area but he wouldn't be sure without tearing into the motor (he used a mechanics stethoscope)

I have come down to that it sounds like either,
a. Timing Chain slap
b. Valve noise
c. Piston slap

I almost didn't pass inspection last year and its due again and i'm afraid since I moved the new inspection station i'm taking it too won't let it pass because of noise. I'm going to check the timing tomorrow when I patch a hole in the frame

Heres the link.

I can't tell too well if it goes away with acceleration or if its just getting drowned out from the engine speed

Thanks everyone

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Jeeperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I should also mention that at idle, she runs around 600RPMS and is really rough, it vibrates pretty bad and vibrates the entire Jeep. At 1000RPMS the vibration is gone, so driving its fine which is also the same RPMS the noise begins to fade

[QUOTE=daverubino;10133980]Sell your YJ???? Why would anyone do that. You dont sell YJ's you just keep them until they become parts heeps for your next one.[/QUOTE]
Unread 10-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!

1993 YJ Wrangler 

My previous engine made this same exact sound. It was piston slap. I ended up swapping the engine out.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Valves???

It is hard to say but piston slap and valves come to mind.

Is it there at start up??

Does it get quieter when it warms up???

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #5
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If it vibrates then it is probably a crank or bottom rod bearing. imho
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:57 AM   #6
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Valves???

It is hard to say but piston slap and valves come to mind.

Is it there at start up??

Does it get quieter when it warms up???
Its actually NOT there at startup, for the first 20 seconds or so its quiet like a normal engine. It starts to make the noise and it gets worse as it warms up and is at its worst at operating temp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
If it vibrates then it is probably a crank or bottom rod bearing. imho
Yeah it vibrates really bad to the point where I got free massage seats It vibrates worse at idle, and no vibration at about 1000RPMS, but upwards of that it vibrates again just not as bad as idle. I also have no exhaust mounts since they all rotted off, so the PO had the exhaust attached at the front to the spring perch, it sits on the belly pan, and attached again near the gas tank to the frame. I also have no catalytic converter (i'm going to be replacing the exhaust when funds allow) but surprisingly its not too loud and doesn't rattle too much

Like I said i'm going to check the timing today because I have to bring it in to patch a massive hole in the frame anyway

Unread 10-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Do you honestly want to know how many people asked me if they had a diesel option back in '93??

Unread 10-20-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I had a chance to check the timing today with a timing light and it seems to be where it needs to be.

But that doesn't explain the noise and motor vibes at idle

Any other opinions?

Unread 10-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think I'm hearing what your talking about
I hear a possible exhaust manifold leak
No hard knock that I can hear
That's just my ears....

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
I don't think I'm hearing what your talking about I hear a possible exhaust manifold leak No hard knock that I can hear That's just my ears....
Thanks for the reply. I thought that too last year, the manifold is new and definitely quieted the engine up. It's not exhaust. It's definitely from the front end of the motor

Guess I won't know til I tear into the motor

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeperez View Post
Thanks for the reply. I thought that too last year, the manifold is new and definitely quieted the engine up. It's not exhaust. It's definitely from the front end of the motor

Guess I won't know til I tear into the motor
Sorry I couldn't help
Good luck with your findings

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds a lot like a loose timing chain , my 87 Xj made a similar noise. I suggest pulling the timing cover an checking that first since the t chain is not that expensive.
Unread 10-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
Sorry I couldn't help Good luck with your findings
Thanks!

Unread 10-21-2013, 06:16 PM   #14
Jeeperez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ
It sounds a lot like a loose timing chain , my 87 Xj made a similar noise. I suggest pulling the timing cover an checking that first since the t chain is not that expensive.
This is my first guess as well as my mechanics. It makes the most sense but my doubts are
A. I had the same noise on my 1990 2.5l and I changed the chain and tenioner and it did nothing

B. if it were the timing chain, wouldn't the timing be off?

Unread 10-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #15
schaef89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Mine sounds like that but it gets quiet when I hit the gas. I diagnosed mine as a bad wrist pin because my timing chain and tensioner are new with less than 2k on them.

Mine does not vibrate tho. My guess would be that you have a dead cylinder
schaef89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.