I need new speakers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need new speakers

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 12-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I need new speakers

The previous owner covered the factory ones in mud when the top and doors were off and they dont work. So they rigged up some cheapo's under the seats. If I bought these
http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/speakers/XS-V4642A
What would I have to do to make them work with wires already going to the replacement cheapos (which will be thrown away?) Electrical work and wires are not my thing. Also, I dont want to take my windshield down to replace them since it is winter and I probably wont be able to get my soft top back on. I do have small hands would I be able to do this without dropping the windshield? Thanks everybody

Unread 12-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #2
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Dropping the windshield won't help any. You'll have to use those conveniently small hands of yours & reach up under the dash.

FYI, it's a real PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
OneCleanYj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Dropping the windshield won't help any. You'll have to use those conveniently small hands of yours & reach up under the dash.

FYI, it's a real PITA.
Just reach your hands up in there and mount 'em. I was able to take mine out that way, didn't worry about putting any in since mine are now in my doors
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
joe's_yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i pulled the dash out when i did mine
The cheapest way to get a significant power increase over a stock 2.5l, would be to pull it out and put in a 5hp briggs & stratton engine.
joe's_yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #5
Classicboss1
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I installed my dash speakers about three weeks ago, Not too bad Drivers side is the worst of all with the wires in the way but I just pushed them aside the best I could and the speaker went right up inside and over the studs, about 20 mins. or so you'll have them working. GO GET EM'
Classicboss1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
WranglerRush
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Will I have to rewire anything since the PO ran the wires across the tub or do you think those might be auxiliary wires?
Unread 12-03-2008, 10:50 PM   #7
littleredjeep
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If the wires are run under your seat you should have plenty of wire. All you should have to do is unhook the ones under your seat and re-route the wires under your dash to your new spreaker. Then you should be good to go. Hope this helps and good luck.
littleredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #8
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

We replaced the speakers in our dash this summer. The driver's side was a bit tight so we loosened the bolts in that area to give my hands a bit more room to get in there. Reach up behind and unbolt the speakers. The nuts are stamped spring steel. One little hint from someone who's had their hand in a lot of door panels where you can't "see" what you're doing. Close your eyes, they're worthless anyway. Let your fingers "see" for you. If you feel lightly and close your eyes so you're not distracted by normal sight, you can visualize what your fingers are telling you.

As for the wiring, as said above, pull it back to the head unit, then reroute it to the dash speaker locations. When you pull the OEM speakers, check the wire color, the PO may have simply cut them at the head unit and you'll likely be able to just reconnect them to the head unit. Check your Chilton's for polarity.
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2008, 12:05 AM   #9
sprngrider
1994 YJ Wrangler 

It wouldn't hurt to replace the wire. If you have to reuse it, just run it from the head-unit to the speakers behind the dash. Thats all you need, unless you have an amp.
sprngrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerRush View Post
The previous owner covered the factory ones in mud when the top and doors were off and they dont work. So they rigged up some cheapo's under the seats. If I bought these
http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/speakers/XS-V4642A
What would I have to do to make them work with wires already going to the replacement cheapos (which will be thrown away?) Electrical work and wires are not my thing. Also, I dont want to take my windshield down to replace them since it is winter and I probably wont be able to get my soft top back on. I do have small hands would I be able to do this without dropping the windshield? Thanks everybody
After reading your post, I went and actually bought the Sony speakers you inquired about. I came home and installed them. The passenger side took all of 10 minutes, the driver side took an hour. These sony speakers do fit perfectly on the factory studs under the jeep dash. The PO of my YJ had also installed some cheapies in the back of the jeep and they were just laying on top of the wheel wells. I left them for now as rear speakers and plan to replace them when I find the time. Anyway, the Sonys fit perfect.
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #11
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
One little hint from someone who's had their hand in a lot of door panels where you can't "see" what you're doing. Close your eyes, they're worthless anyway. Let your fingers "see" for you. If you feel lightly and close your eyes so you're not distracted by normal sight, you can visualize what your fingers are telling you.
I thought I was the only one who did this.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-08-2008, 09:44 AM   #12
Treeslam
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRobster View Post
I thought I was the only one who did this.
I am glad to see another cheap modifier like myself on here. I just bought a 94YJ and have found this forum to be very helpful. But as I read, I am amazed at how much money some people put into these "toys." In putting the bumper lights in, did you take the plastic bumper extensions off or was the bumper like that when you bought it?
Treeslam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.