I need a new NP231 transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need a new NP231 transfer case

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-09-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Sundodger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I need a new NP231 transfer case

So I snapped my rear drive shaft (ok because I wanted to replace it and put in a SYE at the same time) and it did some pretty good damage to my muffler and destroyed my transfer case. I know the PO had just had it rebuilt too. So guys, should I go the used or brand new route and how much should the transfer case run me used and or new?

Sundodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
whiteyj1994
1994 YJ Wrangler 

what did you break on your tc ? do you have pictures? The 231 is pretty stout, if you broke the tailshaft housing your going to replace it anyway with a SYE kit.
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:19 AM   #3
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

New ones are outrageously expensive. Go used - you might be able to find one with an SYE. Or used + rebuild kit + SYE.
Unread 09-10-2014, 08:04 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Used. Car-parts.com or google for Used Jeep parts scrap yards in your area.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Sundodger
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delayed response, but yes that's exactly what I had done. I was climbing a hill, pulling my trailer with my quad in it and when I down shifted into 3rd the housing (U joint which connects into the rear differential) snapped. So I had to rebuild my transfer case which allowed me to update my gear ratio to 4-1, I put in a SYE and obviously a new drive line. The spinning drive shaft destroyed my exhaust which had been rubbing on my front drive shaft so I had the exhaust completely redone and redirected. While I was at it, I put in a vacuum kit because 4WD wasn't engaging properly. Next up is a front and rear axle upgrade. Probably go D44 in the back but just upgrade the D30 front with a chromolly shaft. Lockers in the front and back and I'll be ready to hit harder trails.

I just put the doors back on, took the soft top off and put my hard top back on which has been sitting for 2 years now.

Sundodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.