I need help: YJ bogging/idle-ing/rpm issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help: YJ bogging/idle-ing/rpm issues

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
YJDice

I need help: YJ bogging/idle-ing/rpm issues

Let me start by saying I am new to the jeep world, and may not know the correct terminology, but I have no problem getting my hands dirty and fixing what needs to be done.

I own a 1990 YJ Wrangler, 2.5l. I am pretty sure my carb is a TBI. It seems to have all original stock mechanical parts, and ran like a champ. My gas tank had a leak so I needed to fix it. My buddy owned a larger custom gas tank and he claimed specified for jeeps. While changing the gas tanks, we realized that some of the hoses coming from my jeep didn't match that ones on the fuel tank, so we bought larger bulk hoses and connected them with adapters. We re-installed the new tank, not knowing that inside the new tank their was no fuel pump.

We proceeded to turn the key over for 30-35 mins while putting gas into the carb to try and create pressure (as my buddy insisted, along with jumper cables to keep the battery from draining). After a while I was frustrated and said no fuel was running through the lines. I was right because their was no fuel pump inside the new tank.

After taking everything apart again by myself this time is when I realized that their was no pump. So I went to orielly's and the gal their said I needed a fuel pump that had 4-7 psi, and handed one to me for 49 bucks. I installed the new pump as far down the gas line (i made sure this was the right line) as I could and wired it up to my ignition wire. It took 15 mins of turning the key until finally I heard a burp. But it was to late outside in my working environment to continue.

The next morning I turned the key over and it started up, but not the way it should. When it started the rpm's flew to 3k, then way down to .5k, and if I feathered the gas, their is a 2-4 second delay from my foot touching the peddle and a response. I tried to take it down the road, and it keep bogging bad. It died 3 times in 40 yards and would jerk while going down the road as if your slamming down on the brakes. The rpms while fly up and down wildly and dies randomly. I can sometimes maintain a steady 2-2500k rpm in neutral, but that's if i am lucky.

I have reached out for help from all my friends and no one knows. So, I decided to go online to seek some help. This is the first place I ran into, so I signed up and hopefully someone will be able to help me out!!!

Thanks for your time in reading this,
-Austin

YJDice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to JF, you've just found one of the best jeep sites anywhere!

First thing I would look at is the IAC motor on the side of the throttle body. Give it all a real good cleaning with some carb cleaner or similar. Look it all over for vacuum leaks too. Let it sit and run for a bit, I suspect maybe some air bubbles still in the gas lines. Some of the TBI experts will be along shortly, mine's a MPFI.

Tags
carberator , fuel lines , fuel pump , gas tank

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.