I need help YJ 1995 turns over won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help YJ 1995 turns over won't start

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Reply
Unread 12-26-2012, 04:54 AM   #1
sakura910
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
I need help YJ 1995 turns over won't start

New to this but Jeep turns over but won't start. When I started her up yesterday I heard a sound from the engine but once warmed up it stopped. Drove fine but wouldn't start back up. My son checked what he could be it was dark out and couldn't really see any thing. Jeep for the past couple weeks when accelerating after initial start up would hesitate like not getting enough gas. this is not good as my mechanic is shut down for the xmas week. 1995 YJ .....

sakura910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Pru-J
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: texarkana, texas
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura910
New to this but Jeep turns over but won't start. When I started her up yesterday I heard a sound from the engine but once warmed up it stopped. Drove fine but wouldn't start back up. My son checked what he could be it was dark out and couldn't really see any thing. Jeep for the past couple weeks when accelerating after initial start up would hesitate like not getting enough gas. this is not good as my mechanic is shut down for the xmas week. 1995 YJ .....
Had the same problem in mine! Turned out to be the fuel pump. When you turn the key over you should hear the fuel pump make a noise. If not then it's probably your problem. Test it this way. I found it's the easiest. Take off the rubber hose from the back of the fuel filter (fuel filter is located in front of the rear driver side tire in case you've never messed with it all you will need is a screw driver. Try to crank the jeep. When it turns over it should spit gas out. If not then your fuel pump is your problem. Hope this helps
__________________
JEEP: its not what you buy, its what you build.
Pru-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
sakura910
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
I need help YJ 1995 turns over won't start

Thanks for the info. I'll have my son check this out. I thought maybe serpetine belt - my son thought something with the starter as my dash lights had not been working. Mechanic fixed that problem. Mechanic had just had it out for a ride to check brakes on Friday.

Again thanks for the info - happy holidays1
sakura910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Mark05059
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: quechee Vermont
Posts: 4,266
please fill out your jeep profile
__________________
1998 ZJ 5.2 Auto

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
sakura910
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pru-J View Post
Had the same problem in mine! Turned out to be the fuel pump. When you turn the key over you should hear the fuel pump make a noise. If not then it's probably your problem. Test it this way. I found it's the easiest. Take off the rubber hose from the back of the fuel filter (fuel filter is located in front of the rear driver side tire in case you've never messed with it all you will need is a screw driver. Try to crank the jeep. When it turns over it should spit gas out. If not then your fuel pump is your problem. Hope this helps
Pru-J - It is the fuel pump....I guess it could be worse since it's the original!
sakura910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Pru-J
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: texarkana, texas
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura910
Pru-J - It is the fuel pump....I guess it could be worse since it's the original!
I figured that's what it was. It's a pretty easy DIY project. So I wouldn't waste money on the mechanic doing it.. It might cost a couple hundred for him to replace it. Could always beat it an it might work also. They tend to seize up sometimes. I'd go ahead and drop the tank and see what's up with it..
__________________
JEEP: its not what you buy, its what you build.
Pru-J is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.