I need help with frame repair!!! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with frame repair!!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM   #61
Eriq35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

My input is the following. If you are able to or willing to head to Key West, I can talk to my little brother and see if he can get some of the United States Navy jeepers to give a hand. I built his rig, but I know he does a lot on it all the time, and has a few very close buddies with the welding experience to help you out. I know he will be willing to help out a fellow jeeper.. let me know if you can get down there, and I will reach out to him in a few mins to see if they can help you out.

Eriq35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #62
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Update update!

So today when I got off work I decided it's time to call him. I asked him about it and to mine and his surprise he knew nothing of it. He said he had the frame painted the same time the jeep was painted and was painted by Maco. Which I know this is true because it's a new paint job. So maco put the duct tape on it. He's gonna call maco and figure something out with them and he's gonna get in contact with one of the guys that he know that does these repairs and try to hook me up with a good price. So I'm happy I called him
mligeikis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #63
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriq35 View Post
My input is the following. If you are able to or willing to head to Key West, I can talk to my little brother and see if he can get some of the United States Navy jeepers to give a hand. I built his rig, but I know he does a lot on it all the time, and has a few very close buddies with the welding experience to help you out. I know he will be willing to help out a fellow jeeper.. let me know if you can get down there, and I will reach out to him in a few mins to see if they can help you out.
Oh hell I would love to drive down to key west and just spend the day down there while it's getting fixed!
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM   #64
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligeikis View Post
Update update!

So today when I got off work I decided it's time to call him. I asked him about it and to mine and his surprise he knew nothing of it. He said he had the frame painted the same time the jeep was painted and was painted by Maco. Which I know this is true because it's a new paint job. So maco put the duct tape on it. He's gonna call maco and figure something out with them and he's gonna get in contact with one of the guys that he know that does these repairs and try to hook me up with a good price. So I'm happy I called him
atta girl!
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #65
Chris Aunchman
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Hey,
Contact AutoRust Techs, they make the Safe-T-Caps you hear about....I just installed a set this weekend they went in really easy. Also order a new rear frame crossmember while you are at it, it makes the install go much easier. You can go to there website at www.autorust.com , they are 259 for the pair I would say if you can't weld, get them prepped and clamped up for installation then contact an "on-site" welder type. Prepping only take a few jack stands, jack and angle grinder to cut out the old/rotted area...Oh yea AutoRusts phone number is 401-944-4444 and talk to Dave.....he knows his stuff....GOOD LUCK!!
Chris Aunchman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #66
scooter18155
1983 CJ7 

even though this guy has agreed to help get it fixed shop around his "good price" may not be all that great. Even if this guy truely didnt know it was like this (it is possable) Dont let it go back to maco or whoever did this if they tried to pull a scam once they probably will try to do it again. In my opinion Id find someone yourself to fix it and see if the guy can himself or get maco to cover part of it for you if they truely did do this. If someone tried pulling a scam on me like this it wouldnt go back to them. theres no telling what else they may try next. Remember you dont truely know for sure this guy is being honest in the fact that he didnt know. I do think it was good to call and talk to the guy you at least stand a chance of getting something back from him weather it be cash help or a good deal on the fix. Not calling you dont stand a chance of getting anything.
scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #67
Eriq35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligeikis View Post
Oh hell I would love to drive down to key west and just spend the day down there while it's getting fixed!
Well let me know if you are serious and when is a good time to try and setup, i.e. weekends, evening, etc. I have to see what their duty schedules are now since they just changed over to a crazy schedule down there that in like 3 on 4 off.
If you are serious about it shoot me a
PM and I will get you in touch with him. He is always willing to help anyone out.
Here is his rig:
Unread 03-08-2010, 04:15 PM   #68
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

to Erig35 - Ill have to let you know. right now i have no seats in it so i gotta get those back in which might be this weekend hopefully. I have a friend of a guy that comes into my job who gonna come and look at it either tomorrow or wednesday and let me know if he can help me. I have be ranting and raving about this to EVERYONE i know to try and find some one down here that could help. But I need a vacation so maybe a weekend in key west doesnt sound to bad. But Ill keep you updated for sure.

To EVERYONE! thanks for all the post its really helping me figure things out and the different options to do. Hopefully I'll be able to say its all fixed by April
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:29 PM   #69
Eriq35
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FYI, I talked to him a littl ebit ago and he is def. willing to help out. He is going to check on his schedule as he is running up to Palm City area this weekend, but if you are able to get it down there for a couple of days or work something like that out, I'm sure you could just have your Pop pick up some beer and they'll be good to go. He is checking with the other guy in his unit that has the welder to see when he can use his shop. Let me know if interested and you can work something out.
Unread 03-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #70
joshbaker92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

My 92 had a really bad frame rot about the same place as did another couple of guys in the club. all of us ended up replacing the frame. mine took about 4 weekends. Dont worry brother its just another good reason to spend quality time with your jeep
joshbaker92yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #71
scooter18155
1983 CJ7 

I also thought of another thing while your looking at getting that frame repaired it might not be a bad idea to check out that underside of the tub especially where the body mounts are. If the frame is rusted that bad the tub underside might not be that great but then again im sure theres been bad frames and good tubs as well. Just a thought.
scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #72
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. I mean WOW. WHAT A THREAD. Unbelievable. Staying away from all of the opinionated stuff, does anybody on this forum realize that jeep frames rot FROM THE INSIDE OUT???? Ya'll can wire wheel and spray paint these things all you want, it ain't gonna do a damn thing!

No updates? If not I'll just go on thinking that a few jeepforum'ers showed up and gave you your dream jeep. But judging by those frame pics... I doubt it.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2014, 10:33 PM   #73
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeywiz
Wow. I mean WOW. WHAT A THREAD. Unbelievable. Staying away from all of the opinionated stuff, does anybody on this forum realize that jeep frames rot FROM THE INSIDE OUT???? Ya'll can wire wheel and spray paint these things all you want, it ain't gonna do a damn thing! No updates? If not I'll just go on thinking that a few jeepforum'ers showed up and gave you your dream jeep. But judging by those frame pics... I doubt it.
You may be right, but you're never going to find a frame that has 0 rust. There are coatings that can be sprayed on the insides of frames to prevent rust, and drain holes can be drilled to prevent water build up. I didn't read through the whole thread but the pictures she first posted were fixable. There is a way to do it right.
Longview is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #74
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ya, I know all about it. Check my thread, "rotted tub replacement". I coated the inside with Eastwood encapsulator and outside with POR15. I need to update the thread. Rustoleum on the outside ain't gonna do squat, just give ya another year on the chasis. I know from experience.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 10:53 AM   #75
Myjeep1986
1986 CJ7 

Lemon law

You should check with BBB on lemon law even if from a private sale; In Ma, you can recoup 10% of purchase price from seller;
Also check with DMV this could be a safety issue and deemed non repairable without major surgery etc;
Myjeep1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.