I need help with frame repair!!! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with frame repair!!!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #46
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
click free

edit: aw crap I wanted to be first to click free the pictures but I dunno how lol
Heh, when you quote the message, there will be url tags in square brackets. replace "url" and "/url" with "img" and "/img" inside those brackets.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 09:30 PM   #47
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter18155 View Post
sorry to hear about your bad experience with your pretty pink jeep i say fix it and enjoy it especially if ya love it as much as it sounds like ya do. It could be verry easy to say sell it and buy a new one but considering the loss youll take selling that with the bad frame it may just be cost worthy to fix it.

I dont like the sue all attitude anymore then anyone else. The mcdonalds thing is just retarded. However I dont think this case would fall under the same category as some of the cases ive heard about. someone purposely did this to the jeep to pawn it off on someone this wasnt a simple mistake or accident. In fact i wouldnt be surprised if someone painted it pink just to lure a woman into buying it under the presumption that a woman might not notice or look for that. (i do think that this is wrong but i do believe some people would do this) If lawyers were free and youd actually get your $ back id say sue him but the reality is that most of the posters are right it would cost ya more then its worth to do so. Did you even call or go visit the guy you bought it from? Do you know how long he has had the vehicle? You never know maybe the guy he got it from has done this to the vehicle and he didnt know? Anyways id call the guy at the least to let him know what you found and are not happy at all.
I havent called him yet. I still have a lot of attitude built up in my and I worry about yelling at him. But the title said that he bought it back in July of 2009 so he had it for awhile. And he had told me that he did take it off roading. But he had it painted while he had it because it was for his daughter or so he said.
mligeikis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 10:48 PM   #48
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Hey I found couple of website for you to look at, they offer you a frame replacement for that rear section only. All you have to do is cut the rust part away and weld the new part on. Any good welding shop can do that for you and it is around your budget (I think)

here it is,

Auto Rust Technicians - Safe-T-Cap Frame Repair Kits*::*Jeep Kits*::*Rear Shackle Mount, Set..Wrangler

There is another one, half price less but I am not sure tho.
Welcome to DaveyGeeps.com

you're welcome!
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2010, 11:06 PM   #49
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they are right about not taking him to court. i bought a 93 YJ from a dealership and when i got home looked over it and found my frame was just about non existent. i hired a lawyer and nothing happened. he advised me that it was an "as is" sale and i was basically screwed. on the other hand, you only paid 2800 for it and not 5000 like i did. be thankful. find a very good welder, one with good reputation and see what he can do. i haven't fixed mine yet, but i plan on taking the tub off when the weather gets warmer and sanding down my entire frame and welding on replacement parts, then going over it with a u-pol to keep rust away. all hope is not lost. i have an emotional attachment to my jeep as im sure we all do here on jeep forum. the jeep community is a very open and helpful community and im sure one of us will help you out. keep your head up and your hot pink jeep shining!
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #50
Aero540t
1981 CJ7 

For $350 I found a local Jeeper to repair both sides of my frame like yours and he also wire wheeled and painted the rest of the frame. You shouldn't have a problem getting that fixed. Good luck and enjoy!
Aero540t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #51
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by headstrong50 View Post
they are right about not taking him to court. i bought a 93 YJ from a dealership and when i got home looked over it and found my frame was just about non existent. i hired a lawyer and nothing happened. he advised me that it was an "as is" sale and i was basically screwed. on the other hand, you only paid 2800 for it and not 5000 like i did. be thankful. find a very good welder, one with good reputation and see what he can do. i haven't fixed mine yet, but i plan on taking the tub off when the weather gets warmer and sanding down my entire frame and welding on replacement parts, then going over it with a u-pol to keep rust away. all hope is not lost. i have an emotional attachment to my jeep as im sure we all do here on jeep forum. the jeep community is a very open and helpful community and im sure one of us will help you out. keep your head up and your hot pink jeep shining!
Selling with a "non existent" frame is fine, provided you haven't tried to hide that fact or misrepresent the vehicle. The issue here is not that the frame was rusted through, but that the PO went to great lengths to hide that fact. The AS-IS clause does not automatically transfer all of the vehicle's problems to the new owner: If the PO plants a bomb in the vehicle, set to detonate 30 days after delivery, the AS-IS clause isn't going to to shift the blame to the new owner. It won't protect the seller who winds back the odometer. Yes, it's a powerful clause. It protects an individual from liability for patent and latent defects in the vehicle he is selling. But it has its limits: It does not protect the seller's illegal activities.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 08:04 AM   #52
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Im glad someone in almost the same situation posted. Thanks! Sorry about your jeep but Im glad that your gonna keep it and fix it. If you were here in Florida it would be warm enough already! then we would be able to help each other out. I dont know how to do much but i know the basics and I can cook lol
mligeikis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:48 AM   #53
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Max View Post
Okay, here's my input and it's worth every penny you're paying for it.

It's a $2800 vehicle deal on a 20 year old vehicle. Sure there are moral issues at play here, but dwelling on them will only make you hate a vehicle that you bought because you became "emotionally attached" to it. Why throw that away? If you were to sue, (and even "win") what would you get? Your money back? Then spend that on something you hate driving?

Keep the good spirit you have for your Jeep & make a plan to properly address the rust issue. This would include research on the proper repairs (like the good folks here at JF will help you with!) and finding someone locally that can safely execute the repair. Here is my advice:

1) Search this forum for rusty frame solutions. JeepForum is AWESOME!!! There are TONS of frame repair threads available for you to learn from. If you find an old thread with something in it that you want to know more about, make a post in it & bring it back to life.

2) Find some local folks with Jeep experience. Not shops, just everyday Jeep people. There is a Florida based forum called JEEPTALK.net that is primarily a South Florida forum, with a LOT of Dade & Broward county members. My wife (skynyrdchick) & I have met & wheeled with a lot of those folks, and there are some great people there that will help you fix your Jeep, and then teach you how to enjoy it too. My wife & I are both members of that forum as well, and we use the same screen names there too.

Don't look back, look ahead!

Max
Best piece of advice so far in my opinion, no more regretting over the spilled milk, look ahead to a fix and a good time, what's done is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 09:59 AM   #54
Jeeeeeeeeeeeeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry to hear about your frame. Just keep looking around. Their are a lot of jeepers out there and I am sure you will find somebody to help you with it for a reasonable amount of money, maybe even for just the cost of materials.
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #55
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Selling with a "non existent" frame is fine, provided you haven't tried to hide that fact or misrepresent the vehicle. The issue here is not that the frame was rusted through, but that the PO went to great lengths to hide that fact. The AS-IS clause does not automatically transfer all of the vehicle's problems to the new owner: If the PO plants a bomb in the vehicle, set to detonate 30 days after delivery, the AS-IS clause isn't going to to shift the blame to the new owner. It won't protect the seller who winds back the odometer. Yes, it's a powerful clause. It protects an individual from liability for patent and latent defects in the vehicle he is selling. But it has its limits: It does not protect the seller's illegal activities.
oh, he tried to hide it. not with duct tape, but with a truck bed liner sprayed all over the frame and packed the frame holes with a thick putty and sprayed over it. he did a good job to!
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #56
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
oh, he tried to hide it. not with duct tape, but with a truck bed liner sprayed all over the frame and packed the frame holes with a thick putty and sprayed over it. he did a good job to!
That sucks! It made me think... take a hammer, screwdriver AND a magnet to check a frame before purchasing.

johnboy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #57
headstrong50
1993 YJ Wrangler 

thats a good idea! i second that!!!
Unread 03-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #58
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I would calm down and call the guy, see if he would foot the bill or at least pay half. Yes you were screwed and I think this guy is scum. Then to so are lawyers.. My my opinion of lawyers is 99% of them make the rest look bad.

The fix may not be as expensive as you may think and there are parts that you can buy to replace that portion of the frame.

Buy the parts, take it to a welder and enjoy your pretty pink Jeep.. Welcome to the Jeep community.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #59
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligeikis View Post
I dont look for revenge when I buy something. This is my mistake and like I said I got emotionally attached. Bad karma will fall upon him. I totally believe in karma 110%. Now its time to make it prettier
Listen, there was a thread recently where somebody bought a jeep and then found out it had some major issues, he called the seller back and the seller gave him 1000 dollars of his money back. I'm gonna assume your seller would laugh it off, but it never hurts to talk to the seller and see, any money you could get back would go to repairs!
Unread 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #60
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been to the junk yard a couple times and I was really surprised to see a whole rear quarter of a frame completely missing (as in removed by someone). After being on Jeep forum for a while it's not surprise any more.

Since you're in Florida, you could probably find a solid from in a junk yard somewhere that you cannibalize for much cheaper than what you would end up paying for pre made frame sections online.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.