I need help with frame repair!!! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with frame repair!!!

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:24 PM   #31
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligeikis View Post
Thanks! My dad is mad at me because I didnt take him to go look at it and he told me the same thing. "I would have said thankyou but no thankyou"
I hear ya. I just looked at that pic of the front portion of the frame. He welded a piece of thin looking steel over that front section. I bet it's all gone under that metal. Seriously take that to a welding shop and have them take a good look at what this guy did and how bad that frame really is. I hate to see you hit a pothole and have the steering box rip off the frame. I'm trying to remain optimistic for ya but it's not looking to good...

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:31 PM   #32
RockCrawlerYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No one is saying that what was done wasn't wrong or possibly a legal offense. Key word "possibly" (I'm not a lawyer) but you would pay more than you would to buy the car again in legal fees. When I bought my wrangler the guy told me that everything was fine with the transmission, but I knew better and had to rebuild it a few hundred miles later. If I wouldn't have expected this, going after the guy that sold it to me would have done nothing beside cause headache and a hole in my wallet. You cant get money out of someone that doesn't have, it even if you win a law suit, and we all know that apparently duct tape boy didn't have it.
RockCrawlerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #33
Puntachalupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PILL View Post
Yes, there are lemon laws for a reason. But a lemon law hardly applies.
he covered up and hid a seriouse flaw. I would call that a lemon.
Puntachalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:17 PM   #34
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My main concern now would be the safety of driving it, I am sure that frame has more damage than what is apparent... I know you seem to be emotionally attached to it, but make sure it is safe before you drive it, and inspect it real good, before more problems come in later...

Setting aside the legal perspectives, this is wrong, no matter what a lawyer would say, or how humans can twist words and give things meanings, disregarding all logic and reasoning. You can't conceal this kind of damage and sell a vehicle, even if the law, because of like I said before, some twisted legal interpretation, will not hold the seller responsible.

The laws of God and the Universe are quite more simple, and there is no getting away from them. Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:22 PM   #35
RockCrawlerYJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Lemon laws are put in tact to protect buyers of "new cars", from manufacturer defect. PILL is right this hardly applies. Here is a link to Florida's lemon law. Florida Lemon Law - Get Free Lemon Law help on Vehicles in Florida.. I would love to see all of you put as much effort into finding her someone to fix her jeep as you do talking about things witch you are ignorant. Cheers I'm off to darts and beer!
RockCrawlerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 10:52 PM   #36
Puntachalupa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrawlerYJ View Post
Lemon laws are put in tact to protect buyers of "new cars", from manufacturer defect. PILL is right this hardly applies. Here is a link to Florida's lemon law. Florida Lemon Law - Get Free Lemon Law help on Vehicles in Florida.. I would love to see all of you put as much effort into finding her someone to fix her jeep as you do talking about things witch you are ignorant. Cheers I'm off to darts and beer!
Lemon laws are not always just for new cars, I am not familiar with florida laws, I know where I am from it applies to any vehicle you pay more than $700 for. Our law reads......

The Used Vehicle Warranty Law requires private party sellers to inform buyers about any and all known defects which impair the safety or substantially impair the use of the vehicle. The law applies to all private party sales regardless of sales price or mileage. If you discover a defect that impairs the vehicle’s safety or substantially impairs the use, and can prove that the seller knew about the defect but failed to disclose it, you may cancel the sale within thirty days of purchase. The seller must refund the amount you paid for the vehicle, less 15 cents per mile of use......

Speaking of ignorant, you might want to pic up a dictionary on your way to darts, a WITCH is a old lady with a pointed hat.

mligeikis - If you seller refuses to do anything about the situation, you should contact a lawyer who deals in consumer law. The seller is responsible for answering questions truthfully, and letting you know of any seriouse problems with the vehicle. Painting duct tape over rot in the frame is obviouse intent to fraud.
Puntachalupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 11:21 PM   #37
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks! My dad is mad at me because I didnt take him to go look at it and he told me the same thing. "I would have said thankyou but no thankyou"
Okay, here's my input and it's worth every penny you're paying for it.

It's a $2800 vehicle deal on a 20 year old vehicle. Sure there are moral issues at play here, but dwelling on them will only make you hate a vehicle that you bought because you became "emotionally attached" to it. Why throw that away? If you were to sue, (and even "win") what would you get? Your money back? Then spend that on something you hate driving?

Keep the good spirit you have for your Jeep & make a plan to properly address the rust issue. This would include research on the proper repairs (like the good folks here at JF will help you with!) and finding someone locally that can safely execute the repair. Here is my advice:

1) Search this forum for rusty frame solutions. JeepForum is AWESOME!!! There are TONS of frame repair threads available for you to learn from. If you find an old thread with something in it that you want to know more about, make a post in it & bring it back to life.

2) Find some local folks with Jeep experience. Not shops, just everyday Jeep people. There is a Florida based forum called JEEPTALK.net that is primarily a South Florida forum, with a LOT of Dade & Broward county members. My wife (skynyrdchick) & I have met & wheeled with a lot of those folks, and there are some great people there that will help you fix your Jeep, and then teach you how to enjoy it too. My wife & I are both members of that forum as well, and we use the same screen names there too.

Don't look back, look ahead!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2010, 11:32 PM   #38
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Look: Selling a jeep with severe frame damage is one thing. Taping up that frame and spray painting it to conceal damage is something entirely different. At the very least, this is fraud. This could very well be criminal, not just a civil lawsuit.
hey smack! really, i love when people talk about laws and lawyers who have NO ****ING CLUE!!! In private sells, its the buyers responsibility to inspect the vehicle prior to taking possession, i dont care if he duct taped whatever and painted whatever, guess what, she made a mistake by not going over the jeep herself, otherwise it wouldnt be a problem.

Fraud, are you joking? Do you know what fraud is? Do you watch the stuff like judge judy and all that, i bet you do! Its not fraud, there was no legal sales agreement written up as far as "vehicle condition" and other papers that would be needed.

And last but not least, she asked bout fixing or selling, so shut your un-educated mouth bout the subject. Sue happy people like you are what is ruining this country, and the lawyers and judges that allow these bull**** lawsuits.

Yes it certainly is repairable, i would say buying those replacement pieces from Q-tec is one thing then figure bout 200 in welding cutting time and you should be ok.

BUT STOP B4 you spend that money, take a screw driver and small hammer and check the entire rest of your frame, tapping all sides, then make decisions! Dont want to spend 500 on fixing that section to find more hidden scum BS!

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:01 AM   #39
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wrangler4life View Post
<snip>

BUT STOP B4 you spend that money, take a screw driver and small hammer and check the entire rest of your frame, tapping all sides, then make decisions! Dont want to spend 500 on fixing that section to find more hidden scum BS!
After snipping the idiocy out of his post, there is some good advice. No sense in throwing good money after bad - OP, check the rest of the frame and all of the major mechanicals before you make a decision.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:14 AM   #40
95wrangler4life
1995 YJ Wrangler 

your right buddy its idiocy, i have never taken ANY law classes what so ever in my life!

On the other hand i was sure i just had a bit of rust issues on my frame and was going to repair, check my build thread cause upon further checking, im now into a frame swap!

Build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...-dirty-894483/
95wrangler4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 12:23 AM   #41
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95wrangler4life View Post
your right buddy its idiocy, i have never taken ANY law classes what so ever in my life!
That's OK, friend. It's never too late to go back to school. You'll learn how the criminal and civil justice systems work to compel people to take responsibility for their actions.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #42
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you everyone for your advice Ive had some good and some laughs with reading some of them. Today I went out and checked the rest of the frame and the rest of it was in good condition. I even had my three year old out the having fun with his hammer. And then he wanted me to check his "jeep". So we spent the rest of the day taking his powerwheels apart and to my surprise I found that his has a steal frame. But no rust on his!! We repainted it and were able to put it all back together in one day. I love sunny South Florida!!

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/IMG_0329.jpg
mligeikis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #43
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
click free

edit: aw crap I wanted to be first to click free the pictures but I dunno how lol
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #44
iowajeepers
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Click Free

1994 YJ, 2000 TJ, 2000 XJ, 2004 WJ, 1976 Stingray
iowajeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #45
scooter18155
1983 CJ7 

sorry to hear about your bad experience with your pretty pink jeep i say fix it and enjoy it especially if ya love it as much as it sounds like ya do. It could be verry easy to say sell it and buy a new one but considering the loss youll take selling that with the bad frame it may just be cost worthy to fix it.

I dont like the sue all attitude anymore then anyone else. The mcdonalds thing is just retarded. However I dont think this case would fall under the same category as some of the cases ive heard about. someone purposely did this to the jeep to pawn it off on someone this wasnt a simple mistake or accident. In fact i wouldnt be surprised if someone painted it pink just to lure a woman into buying it under the presumption that a woman might not notice or look for that. (i do think that this is wrong but i do believe some people would do this) If lawyers were free and youd actually get your $ back id say sue him but the reality is that most of the posters are right it would cost ya more then its worth to do so. Did you even call or go visit the guy you bought it from? Do you know how long he has had the vehicle? You never know maybe the guy he got it from has done this to the vehicle and he didnt know? Anyways id call the guy at the least to let him know what you found and are not happy at all.
scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.