I need help with frame repair!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with frame repair!!!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #1
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I need help with frame repair!!!

Last month I bought my very first jeep!!! Yippy!! I'm so excited!!! And then my father who is looking at it very very good notices that theres duck tape where the rear springs are attacked to the frame!! Duck tape!!! who the heck puts duck tape on a jeep!!! Well now my problem is that I removed the duck tape and found the beautiful sight of rust/rot damage. My father wants me to sell it and get rid of it but as hard headed as I am I want to fix it. I dont know how to weld and I dont know exactly how to fix it, so I need a little help guys. I dont want to take it to a shop because everyone wants to charge me a couple grand to fix it. I may be a girl but Im not a stupid girl. Please Im looking for someone in Miami more locally Cutler Ridge. I have a total of $400 to fix it. Please please please pretty please someone help me.

passengers side - http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/101_0164.jpg
drivers side - http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/101_0167.jpg

mligeikis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mligeikis View Post
Last month I bought my very first jeep!!! Yippy!! I'm so excited!!! And then my father who is looking at it very very good notices that theres duck tape where the rear springs are attacked to the frame!! Duck tape!!! who the heck puts duck tape on a jeep!!! Well now my problem is that I removed the duck tape and found the beautiful sight of rust/rot damage. My father wants me to sell it and get rid of it but as hard headed as I am I want to fix it. I dont know how to weld and I dont know exactly how to fix it, so I need a little help guys. I dont want to take it to a shop because everyone wants to charge me a couple grand to fix it. I may be a girl but Im not a stupid girl. Please Im looking for someone in Miami more locally Cutler Ridge. I have a total of $400 to fix it. Please please please pretty please someone help me.

passengers side -
drivers side -
click-free

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #3
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If I were you, I'd go talk to a lawyer, especially if you got that from a dealer.

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:23 PM   #4
littlejohn411
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, the guy that did that was pure scum.
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #5
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Why would you get a lawyer???? That is very fixable. I have no idea what a lawyer could do for you unless he can weld. Don't give up it can be done. Hopefully he was joking with you
DDove is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I bought it from a private seller. I think after i get it all fixed Im gonna call the guy and just curse him out. I asked about any rust on the jeep and he said that he had it all taken care of. Ya taken care of with some duck tape.
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

ah ****...rust in FL? Hell my rusty frame is nowhere near as bad as that right here in MA. How long you had your jeep?

Anybody can fix up the jeep but no amount of welding and patching won't be enough IMO. Best chance you got is search for better frame and swap that in.
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #8
Puntachalupa

x2 on talking to a lawyer. There are lemon laws for a reason
Puntachalupa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Take a look through out all these pages and look at some of the other frames that were 10 times worse then yours. It can be repaired and be safe. A new frame would be best, but most of us dont have that kind of money and time to do that. Don't get discouraged, you will find somebody to fix it
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

No, seriously - he covered it in tape, spray painted it, and sold it - clearly there was intent to defraud.

Based on the risks he created, I'd call it depraved indifference. Seriously, call a lawyer. The ******* who did that deserves jail time for the danger he put you in.

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #11
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

There is no lemon law on private sales. Unreal does everyone just sue for the hell of it with the hopes of getting rich?????? What would you sue for??? Yea get on of those tv lawyers that advertise all day on tv. Not to sound harsh but that right there is whats wrong with the "system" sue sue sue. OMG
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #12
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That's why you need to fully inspect the frame on any Jeep before you buy. There are alot of scum bags selling stuff. It's repairably but you'll need to buy these > ART-42R - Autorust Passenger Side Rear Shackle Mount Section for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec
and ART-42L - Autorust Driver Side Rear Shackle Mount Section for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec. There's $300 there.Then you'll need tools to cut out the bad and weld in the new. The drivers side may just need to be plated but you'll need to get in there and bang on it with a hammer and see how bad it really is. It doesn't look as bad as the 92 I bought. This is why it's my parts Jeep and I got it for $800. How much did you pay for it? Is there any other frame rot?
p2230017.jpg   p2230019.jpg  
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
DDove
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well said burnerman. Clear intent to defraud??? prove that in court. Maybe and it sure looks like it that the dude was not too smart. The time you get done with all the legal fees you could buy a new one.
Unread 03-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #14
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDove View Post
There is no lemon law on private sales. Unreal does everyone just sue for the hell of it with the hopes of getting rich?????? What would you sue for??? Yea get on of those tv lawyers that advertise all day on tv. Not to sound harsh but that right there is whats wrong with the "system" sue sue sue. OMG
Look: Selling a jeep with severe frame damage is one thing. Taping up that frame and spray painting it to conceal damage is something entirely different. At the very least, this is fraud. This could very well be criminal, not just a civil lawsuit.

Unread 03-06-2010, 09:45 PM   #15
mligeikis
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I got emotionally attached to it because its hot pink but I paid $2800 and there is some other rust on the frame in the front...
side view - http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/101_0169.jpg
semi-front view - http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/a...p/101_0170.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.