I need help with clutch replace - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with clutch replace

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTruc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Toxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #31
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix

Glad to hear everything's going smoothly. Lucky u. $30 to turn ur flywheel? That's a great price. I paid $60 for mine. I had to since it was the only machine shop in town... anyways gl with the remainder of ur repair. Ur over the hump.
Thanks. Yeah, I was able to find a shop by my buddies house that would turn it for $30.

qewbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

Just got the flywheel back - looks pretty. Anyhow, I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel, and then the clutch and pressure plate. However, I just realized.... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO BLEED THE CLUTCH! :O

A little help please.

Thanks.
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #33
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ejeeperguy,

That was a great tip on getting the pilot bearing out with the reversed socket!! Hopefully I don't have to use it soon, but if I do, I will remember it.

Thanks and take care,
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewbawl View Post
That is a great thread. I will deffinitely be referring back to it when installing the tranny and clutch.

Thanks
thanks and yea i used the grease trick also. it would have been better with pictures but oh well.
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #35
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
UPDATE:

Just got the flywheel back - looks pretty. Anyhow, I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel, and then the clutch and pressure plate. However, I just realized.... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO BLEED THE CLUTCH! :O

A little help please.

Thanks.
With an external slave you dont have to do anything special to bleed it. I was told to take the cap off the master cylinder reservoir and pump the clutch slowly a few dozen times. That's what I did. Everything worked out... (especially my left thigh!)
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

With an external slave you dont have to do anything special to bleed it. I was told to take the cap off the master cylinder reservoir and pump the clutch slowly a few dozen times. That's what I did. Everything worked out... (especially my left thigh!)
Thanks. I will definitely b trying that.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #37
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

So I didn't get my transmission back from the shop as anticipated. The guy told me the shaft in my tranni was busted and he had to buy a new one - not sure what he was reffering to, but it's only gonna cost me an additional $50. I will be getting it back sometime this week and installing it next weekend.

Anyways, so instead of installing the tranni back in, I went ahead and had my flywheel turned and replaced the clutch. It wasn't a difficult job at all. Pretty straight forward. However, between the drinking and working, it took us about four hours - good times.
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
opie91

Clutch Kit

I just priced out a clutch kit @ Advance Auto. About $105 shipped (with 20% off coupon for labor day "LABOR") Kit includes clutch plate, pressure plate, slave cylinder, alignment tool and misc hardware. Also if you buy anything over $100 this weekend you get a $50 coupon for your next purchase over $100.

Clutch Set

Good luck.
opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #39
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie91
I just priced out a clutch kit @ Advance Auto. About $105 shipped (with 20% off coupon for labor day "LABOR") Kit includes clutch plate, pressure plate, slave cylinder, alignment tool and misc hardware. Also if you buy anything over $100 this weekend you get a $50 coupon for your next purchase over $100.

Clutch Set

Good luck.
That is a sweet deal. However, I already bought and replaced the clutch. I paid a little more ($120) but I bought it from Autozone and it came with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks anyway!
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a sweet deal. However, I already bought and replaced the clutch. I paid a little more ($120) but I bought it from Autozone and it came with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks anyway!
Yes, that's definitely a great deal. My goodness where do u people live where you pay only $120 for a clutch kit and turn your flywheel for $30. I paid $180 for my kit. Best price i could find in my area. Ugh... gotta love the DC area...
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #41
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yes, that's definitely a great deal. My goodness where do u people live where you pay only $120 for a clutch kit and turn your flywheel for $30. I paid $180 for my kit. Best price i could find in my area. Ugh... gotta love the DC area...
LOL I actually live in Los Angeles. Autozone always has great deals on car parts. They are like the wall mart of auto parts! I got lucky with the flywheel. My co-worker told me about a place he goes and they were able to give me a good price. Trust me, we pay for it in other forms out here in LA.
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #42
opie91

Quote:

Thanks anyway!
Advanced Auto has a lifetime warranty also.
opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie91

Advanced Auto has a lifetime warranty also.
Really? Cause I asked them and the Rep told me it was a 1year warranty.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.