I need help with clutch replace - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with clutch replace

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #31
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix

Glad to hear everything's going smoothly. Lucky u. $30 to turn ur flywheel? That's a great price. I paid $60 for mine. I had to since it was the only machine shop in town... anyways gl with the remainder of ur repair. Ur over the hump.
Thanks. Yeah, I was able to find a shop by my buddies house that would turn it for $30.

qewbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #32
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

Just got the flywheel back - looks pretty. Anyhow, I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel, and then the clutch and pressure plate. However, I just realized.... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO BLEED THE CLUTCH! :O

A little help please.

Thanks.
Unread 09-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #33
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ejeeperguy,

That was a great tip on getting the pilot bearing out with the reversed socket!! Hopefully I don't have to use it soon, but if I do, I will remember it.

Thanks and take care,
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewbawl View Post
That is a great thread. I will deffinitely be referring back to it when installing the tranny and clutch.

Thanks
thanks and yea i used the grease trick also. it would have been better with pictures but oh well.
Unread 09-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #35
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
UPDATE:

Just got the flywheel back - looks pretty. Anyhow, I'm getting ready to replace the flywheel, and then the clutch and pressure plate. However, I just realized.... I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO BLEED THE CLUTCH! :O

A little help please.

Thanks.
With an external slave you dont have to do anything special to bleed it. I was told to take the cap off the master cylinder reservoir and pump the clutch slowly a few dozen times. That's what I did. Everything worked out... (especially my left thigh!)
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #36
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

With an external slave you dont have to do anything special to bleed it. I was told to take the cap off the master cylinder reservoir and pump the clutch slowly a few dozen times. That's what I did. Everything worked out... (especially my left thigh!)
Thanks. I will definitely b trying that.
Unread 09-04-2011, 04:54 PM   #37
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

UPDATE:

So I didn't get my transmission back from the shop as anticipated. The guy told me the shaft in my tranni was busted and he had to buy a new one - not sure what he was reffering to, but it's only gonna cost me an additional $50. I will be getting it back sometime this week and installing it next weekend.

Anyways, so instead of installing the tranni back in, I went ahead and had my flywheel turned and replaced the clutch. It wasn't a difficult job at all. Pretty straight forward. However, between the drinking and working, it took us about four hours - good times.
Unread 09-04-2011, 07:48 PM   #38
opie91

Clutch Kit

I just priced out a clutch kit @ Advance Auto. About $105 shipped (with 20% off coupon for labor day "LABOR") Kit includes clutch plate, pressure plate, slave cylinder, alignment tool and misc hardware. Also if you buy anything over $100 this weekend you get a $50 coupon for your next purchase over $100.

Clutch Set

Good luck.
opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 08:09 PM   #39
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie91
I just priced out a clutch kit @ Advance Auto. About $105 shipped (with 20% off coupon for labor day "LABOR") Kit includes clutch plate, pressure plate, slave cylinder, alignment tool and misc hardware. Also if you buy anything over $100 this weekend you get a $50 coupon for your next purchase over $100.

Clutch Set

Good luck.
That is a sweet deal. However, I already bought and replaced the clutch. I paid a little more ($120) but I bought it from Autozone and it came with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks anyway!
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:22 PM   #40
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is a sweet deal. However, I already bought and replaced the clutch. I paid a little more ($120) but I bought it from Autozone and it came with a lifetime warranty.

Thanks anyway!
Yes, that's definitely a great deal. My goodness where do u people live where you pay only $120 for a clutch kit and turn your flywheel for $30. I paid $180 for my kit. Best price i could find in my area. Ugh... gotta love the DC area...
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #41
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Yes, that's definitely a great deal. My goodness where do u people live where you pay only $120 for a clutch kit and turn your flywheel for $30. I paid $180 for my kit. Best price i could find in my area. Ugh... gotta love the DC area...
LOL I actually live in Los Angeles. Autozone always has great deals on car parts. They are like the wall mart of auto parts! I got lucky with the flywheel. My co-worker told me about a place he goes and they were able to give me a good price. Trust me, we pay for it in other forms out here in LA.
Unread 09-05-2011, 05:28 AM   #42
opie91

Quote:

Thanks anyway!
Advanced Auto has a lifetime warranty also.
opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #43
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opie91

Advanced Auto has a lifetime warranty also.
Really? Cause I asked them and the Rep told me it was a 1year warranty.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.