I need help with clutch replace - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I need help with clutch replace

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops and

Unread 08-31-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I need help with clutch replace

Sup people. I'm in the process of replacing the clutch on my 95 YJ (2.5) and could really use some help. My friend and I took down my tranny last week to have it rebuild and I am getting it back tomorrow. Before we put the tranny back in I want to replace the clutch, being that the repair manual suggests it. However, neither my buddy or I have ever replaced a clutch and we are pretty much clueless as to how to do it.

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys can help out with any information regarding the process and tools needed for this job.

Thanks.

-Q

qewbawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Replacing the clutch is very easy. getting the tranny in and out is the hardest part.
you need to get a new clutch which should consist of a clutch disc, pressure plate. you will also need a clutch alignment tool which normally comes with a new clutch. I would go ahead and replace the throw out bearing too. I would also consider changing out the pilot bearing in the flywheel.

take all the old clutch parts off the flywheel and remove the old pilot bearing.
then take your flywheel to a machine shop and have them turn it so you have a fresh surface for your new clutch to go against.
reinstall your flywheel and install your new pilot bearing. next install your new clutch disc and pressure plate leaving the bolts loose.
use your clutch alignment tool to get everything straight then tighten down your pressure plate. now put your new throw out bearing and clutch fork on reinstall your tranny
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Guys, make sure you buy a Haynes auto manual for your year Jeep. They will go into detail about doing this job PLUS they will give you all of the torque settings for the bolts. As was said, if all of the parts match up, the hardest part of this job is getting the transmission back in. My best advice is to get two studs to match up to two of your bellhousing bolts. I don't know if your block has dowel pins or not, but I find two studs AND ONLY TWO STUDS make the job of alignment so much easier. If you replace all the bellhousing bolts with studs, usually it doesn't have enough play to put the transmission back on.

Take care,
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can buy a clutch kit from just about any reputable source - make sure you get an OEM quality Slave cylinder (Internal or External) so that you don't have to do it more than once. Get your flywheel machined properly and install your new pilot bearing. Use threadlocker on the bolts holding everything in. It's pretty straightforward, really and I was able to do it without a lot of hassle!
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobias94yj
Replacing the clutch is very easy. getting the tranny in and out is the hardest part.
you need to get a new clutch which should consist of a clutch disc, pressure plate. you will also need a clutch alignment tool which normally comes with a new clutch. I would go ahead and replace the throw out bearing too. I would also consider changing out the pilot bearing in the flywheel.

take all the old clutch parts off the flywheel and remove the old pilot bearing.
then take your flywheel to a machine shop and have them turn it so you have a fresh surface for your new clutch to go against.
reinstall your flywheel and install your new pilot bearing. next install your new clutch disc and pressure plate leaving the bolts loose.
use your clutch alignment tool to get everything straight then tighten down your pressure plate. now put your new throw out bearing and clutch fork on reinstall your tranny
Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #6
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SASjeepster
Guys, make sure you buy a Haynes auto manual for your year Jeep. They will go into detail about doing this job PLUS they will give you all of the torque settings for the bolts. As was said, if all of the parts match up, the hardest part of this job is getting the transmission back in. My best advice is to get two studs to match up to two of your bellhousing bolts. I don't know if your block has dowel pins or not, but I find two studs AND ONLY TWO STUDS make the job of alignment so much easier. If you replace all the bellhousing bolts with studs, usually it doesn't have enough play to put the transmission back on.

Take care,
I actually have a Haynes repair manual but is so old its hard to make out some of the instructions. I'm looking at buying a Helm Inc. repair manual.

What exactly is a stud and where can I get one?

Thanks.
Unread 08-31-2011, 06:08 PM   #7
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharris68
You can buy a clutch kit from just about any reputable source - make sure you get an OEM quality Slave cylinder (Internal or External) so that you don't have to do it more than once. Get your flywheel machined properly and install your new pilot bearing. Use threadlocker on the bolts holding everything in. It's pretty straightforward, really and I was able to do it without a lot of hassle!
How would I know if I'm getting an OEM quality slave cylinder?
Unread 08-31-2011, 06:15 PM   #8
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Also, is a release bearing the same as a throwout bearing??? If not, then what is it?

Thanks.
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
GottaYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

^^^they are the same
Unread 08-31-2011, 11:33 PM   #10
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaYJ
^^^they are the same
Roger that! Thanks :-)
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
stratostix
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewbawl View Post
Sounds simple enough. Thanks for the help.
I just wanna add a couple of things to tobias' post...

1) when you handle your new clutch, be careful not to contaminate it.. (i.e. Grease, dirt, etc). Handle it like it's a sterile piece of equipment.

2)The bolts holding the flywheel are on TIGHT + threadlocker. Stick a long pry bar at a strategic angle (u can figure it out) between the teeth of the flywheel and a block of wood on the ground to keep it from turning when taking off these bolts (and when replacing them for that matter...)

3) Flywheel and pressure plate bolts must be torque'd in a cross pattern if i remember correctly. Flywheel bolts use locktite (i use blue). Can't remember for the pressure plate bolts (I think not). But you can easily find the answer to that if you search for it.

4) when you grease up the spline (on which the throwout bearing is sitting) make sure you only use a very thin layer of grease as to not contaminate your new clutch with splatter.

I think that's all the details not to overlook I can think of....

Also, when re-installing the tranny, use some 6 inch (or so) long threaded guide pins to make things easier. One on each side of the tranny. It'll line things right up and will save you a LOT of sweat blood and tears. Hope this helped.
stratostix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #12
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by qewbawl View Post
How would I know if I'm getting an OEM quality slave cylinder?
OEM quality doesn't have to be a necessity.
With the 4cyl, you have the AX5 trani.
If you have the external salve, just make sure it is a NEW cylinder.
If you have the internal slave, it needs to have the tubes already installed.
Don't use the ones that need the tubes installed.

A couple of important things to know about...because this is your first clutch.
Removing the pilot bushing/bearing will be difficult if you dont' have the right tool.
If you can rent or buy the tool, I highly suggest spending the money.
Some say the grease trick can get it right out.
I have never had it work for me on any of the 27 clutches I have replaced (27 is a close exaggeration).
If you dont' have a torque wrench, go get one.
The clutch will never be right if you don't torque the bolts correctly.

Once you get it all back together, make sure you bleed the clutch cylinder correctly - don't bleed it like you would brakes - bleed it without releasing built up pressure - open the bleeder valve before the pedal is pressed down and close it before the pedal is released- no need to 'pump up' pressure for the clutch - check the fluid bowl every other pedal stroke so it doesn't go empty.

Most important - keep plenty of comsumable fluids at your disposal.

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #13
tobias94yj
Hillbilly Member

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix View Post

1) when you handle your new clutch, be careful not to contaminate it.. (i.e. Grease, dirt, etc). Handle it like it's a sterile piece of equipment.

2)The bolts holding the flywheel are on TIGHT + threadlocker. Stick a long pry bar at a strategic angle (u can figure it out) between the teeth of the flywheel and a block of wood on the ground to keep it from turning when taking off these bolts (and when replacing them for that matter...)

3) Flywheel and pressure plate bolts must be torque'd in a cross pattern if i remember correctly. Flywheel bolts use locktite (i use blue). Can't remember for the pressure plate bolts (I think not). But you can easily find the answer to that if you search for it.

4) when you grease up the spline (on which the throwout bearing is sitting) make sure you only use a very thin layer of grease as to not contaminate your new clutch with splatter.

Also, when re-installing the tranny, use some 6 inch (or so) long threaded guide pins to make things easier. One on each side of the tranny. It'll line things right up and will save you a LOT of sweat blood and tears. Hope this helped.
Very true on everything and handle your newly machined flywheel the same way. here is a link to a thread i did about swapping a tranny and installing a new clutch.
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #14
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratostix

Great stuff, trully appreciate it!
Unread 09-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #15
qewbawl
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn
OEM quality doesn't have to be a necessity.
With the 4cyl, you have the AX5 trani.
If you have the external salve, just make sure it is a NEW cylinder.
If you have the internal slave, it needs to have the tubes already installed.
Don't use the ones that need the tubes installed.

A couple of important things to know about...because this is your first clutch.
Removing the pilot bushing/bearing will be difficult if you dont' have the right tool.
If you can rent or buy the tool, I highly suggest spending the money.
Some say the grease trick can get it right out.
I have never had it work for me on any of the 27 clutches I have replaced (27 is a close exaggeration).
If you dont' have a torque wrench, go get one.
The clutch will never be right if you don't torque the bolts correctly.

Once you get it all back together, make sure you bleed the clutch cylinder correctly - don't bleed it like you would brakes - bleed it without releasing built up pressure - open the bleeder valve before the pedal is pressed down and close it before the pedal is released- no need to 'pump up' pressure for the clutch - check the fluid bowl every other pedal stroke so it doesn't go empty.

Most important - keep plenty of comsumable fluids at your disposal.
Thanks for the tips, greatly appreciate it. Now, when you said I should rent or buy the tool to remove the pilot bearing, do they make specific tool just for that purpose? If so, what is called?

Thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.