I miss 5th gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I miss 5th gear

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-11-2002, 10:54 PM   #1
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

I miss 5th gear

ok got some 32x11.5x15 uniroyla laredo mt's this morning and i already miss 5th gear with my old 31 bfg ats i used it alot but i couldn't keep my speed up today what kind of gears should i get or should i try to make the negine more powerfull ne help is very welcome

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2002, 01:40 PM   #2
LoOpY

Wow, ive just got a 4banger and i still use 5th with my 33's. Granted ive got a top speed of 65ish and i hafta use 4th to maintain speed up hills. Id just think that with a 4.0 that you shouldnt be havin any real problems. Certainly regearing is an option, one thatll cost a couple hundred. Or you could try my route, im replacing all my ignition components with racing equipment and im gonna try out a K&N air filter and see if i cant squeeze just enough extra ponies out of my engine so that i could keep it in 5th uphill
LoOpY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2002, 02:51 PM   #3
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Loopy i think the 4 banger coems with 4.11 gears form the factory while my 4.0 comes with 3.07 ratio so i guess ur in a better position than me

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Unread 05-12-2002, 02:58 PM   #4
JeepN87

kygreenYJ, what is your top speed in 4th? JW b/c soon I'm gonna be running 33s with 3.07s for a while until I regear and I'm gonna be using it on the highway some. Depending on what kind of driving you do (daily driver/highway/offroad) you should be lookin at 4.10s or maybe 4.56s if youre gonna be taking it offroad alot.
Unread 05-12-2002, 03:08 PM   #5
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

its only been a day but last night i was getting maybe 70's past 3000 rpm in 4th (keywords i think) so 33s might be kinda not fun for they highwya with 3.07s but for aroudntown you should be alright. im thinkin i might do 4.10s ne1 know how much it might cost to get that set up?

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
Unread 05-13-2002, 01:20 PM   #6
Quan

In my 93YJ I run 4.10 gears with 33's and a sixer... I've got up to 110 in it when I was following my friend in his car.

[b][COLOR=green]Green[/color] Jeep Club Member #15[/b]
[b]My Jeep Made Me Broke Club Member #2[/b]

93 YJ I-6 w/ stuff

Keep the [COLOR=blue]greasy[/color] side down
[URL=http://members.cox.net/quanno/ford88.html]FORD 8.8 INFO HERE![/URL]
Quan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2002, 04:40 AM   #7
rollmeover

You went 110? why would anybody want to go that fast in a YJ? They are not race cars, and with any lift or bigger tires they are a roll over just waiting to happen!
[SIZE=1] 318 - 5.2L, Flowmaster Delta 50[/SIZE]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Silver]--- 00 limited WJ ---[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[SIZE=1] 287 - 4.7L, sotck for now! new purchase![/SIZE]
rollmeover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2002, 09:31 AM   #8
FunkSkunk
Sold my soul to JeepForum

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a 3" lift with 33s and wow, it looks cool as hell but man does it suck to drive. I have a 4.0 so its hurtin' pretty bad. I think comfortabley you can run about 60 on the highway without over rev'in the engine. Does anyone know the complete cost to do a regear to 4.10s?? I really want to do this mod sooon!! Also whats the difference in 4.10s and 4.56s? accelration? top speed? torque?
thanks
Unread 05-14-2002, 09:46 PM   #9
BigDaddESean

before I blew my 4.2 I could stay around 70 if it wasn't too windy out on lever ground. If it was uphill I would run 4th between 60-65. Hey Jeepn87, my 4.2 topped at around 69-72 in 4th at about 3,000. I think the 4.0 I'm putting in will be better. EVen if it's the same on the highway I'll be happy. It'll give me more acceleration and better fuel economy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.