I might buy a YJ need feed back - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I might buy a YJ need feed back

Custom Axle Work at CCORJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #1
99wjman

I might buy a YJ need feed back

hey guys i am considering buying alittle project this summer. there is a guy on craigslist that is selling a yj with 150k and 5 speed and its an 87 for 2100 and he says the starter is bad and needs to be replaced so im thinking alittle work into it which i want to do. Would this be a good deal for like 1200 or something. How much work should i expect on a yj this year. I really want to put a lift on it ect but it would be low budget. What could i do for cheep. i saw rough country lifts on ebay for like 400? are there better for cheeper or would this be fine if im not going to do extreem wheeling. Also i own a gc so im not new to this yj's just look so fun

Bridgestone dueler revos
99wjman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #2
99wjman

is the 4 banger really much worse than the 6 my ideal rig would be 4.0 5 speed but less engine is just less power? here are the pics...
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/176882254.html

heres just the listing
Bridgestone dueler revos
Unread 07-03-2006, 05:54 PM   #3
rbn1357

If I were you, I would look for a 4.0 yj. No one really likes the lack of power with the 2.5L .

Look for a 1991 and above. They have fuel injection rather than a carb.
rbn1357 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

First, there is very little that is "low budget" about a jeep, other than the owners pocket.

Second. If you really think about it....why would this person sink 1500 into the jeep in "accessories" as he calls it, only to try and sell it because of a $50 starter.

Third. You want a project to "put a lift on, etc...etc." You said nothing about engine problems/maintainence. If you want a project for your reasons stated, you need to look at a little more dependable jeep drivetrain wise. As mentioned before, 91 and up with the fuel injection is your best bet.

Keep lookin bud, the deals are out there.
Unread 07-03-2006, 07:24 PM   #5
99wjman

thanks for the info...i know how much i have to sink into a jeep blend door problem electrical problems ect. im thinkin of just looking too but is a deal like that good?
Bridgestone dueler revos
Unread 07-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #6
99wjman

so is this what i should look for
1991+
4.0l i6
Hard top
good condition ect

any thoughts on the 5 speed vrs the automatic?
there are some that meet the req for pretty cheap that are automatics
Bridgestone dueler revos
Unread 07-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #7
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

What you stated would be "ideal," however not a requirement for a "fun project." My rig, when it was a 4banger, had plenty of go juice for offroad. It just didn't have the guts to make it up highway hills. I drive 25 miles each way.....highway. And it had 35's. A fourbanger is fine for a trail/city rig. Yes, 91+ is what you would want for fuel injected models. A fourbanger with 33's and 4.88 gears would get you in enough fun to satisfy most weekend warriors. Hard top/soft top makes no difference. Hard top is nice for winter, but more a pain for summer. The only downfall to soft tops is rain and wind. By nature, soft tops don't leak while driving....only when sitting in the rain. And if properly aligned, can be avoided. Your biggest enemy on a jeep.......rust. I would take a poorly running jeep with no rust over an overhauled jeep with the floorboards weakening from rust. Usually what you can see, is only half your problems when it comes to rust.
Unread 07-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
99wjman

also id hate to say it but its basically just a summer project and i wont have it when i move away to school so i thought it would be a good fixer upper but maybe i should look for the 91+
Bridgestone dueler revos
Unread 07-04-2006, 04:05 AM   #9
Bobbywolf

87-89 is by far the least desirable years as far as YJ's are concerned. Unless you really want to go for it, I'd walk away. These have the very breakable pugeot tranny, and both the 2.5 and 4.2L are carborated, which are plagued with idleing problems, and issues on steep inclines.

I'd steer clear of this one, unless you get a smoking deal on it.
Bobbywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.