I may have blown my 5th gear...please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I may have blown my 5th gear...please help

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I may have blown my 5th gear...please help

I've looked around for threads on this and I can't seem to find anyone with the exact same situation.

So this morning I was cruising on the highway in 5th, and started hearing a terrible sound. I'd describe it like this: put a bunch of bolts in a plastic tupperwear container and shake it around. I didn't loose the functionality of the gear, but that noise clearly is not right. I downshifted to 4th and was able to get where I needed to go...slowly. I tried putting it back into 5th just for fun, and the sound is still there, but it is interesting to me that the gear is still functional.

Has anybody experienced anything like this? I have a pretty limited amount of tools in my garage, but I like to avoid mechanics as much as possible. If I was going to take a guess at the issue, I'd guess that maybe one of the connecting pins within the gear has broken and is rattling around? I feel like this might be a very time consuming fix, but it might be worth it because I can see an auto shop charging a ton for something like this. I honestly can't afford anything over like $2-300 right now.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

mrbriteside1465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 03:31 PM   #2
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

anybody?
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I dunno really. Maybe you lost a couple teeth on 5th?

You only gave everyone an hour and 1/2. It's probably dinner time for all us east coasters, plus it's the weekend.

Someone will come along though.
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
jamnjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have some broken teeth on 5th gear. Mine did the same thing, 5th still worked but sounded horrible. Ended up have afew missing teeth on 5th when i took it apart.
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

my fault, I was just trying to figure out what to do about driving to work this week and was getting antsy. the problem has grown a little, now I'm hearing noise in all of my gears. 5th makes the most noise by far, but it seems to be spreading. don't think I should be commuting to work with it
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No....I agree. We need a tranny expert in here, pronto.
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You know what? Post this up in here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/

It's the engine and drivetrain section of the board. You might get quicker, better help.

Sucks it's gotten worse though.
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #8
MallCrawling
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My guess is as good as anybody elses, but MeanMax will definitely know. He'll probably have a few pictures too
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been trying to will Max to this thread, but it's not working. lol
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

haha thanks for the thoughts guys..i'll post it up in the other thread and see what happens. Looks like I might take it up to a transmission shop to see if they can give me an idea of what the problem is, and then I'm thinking about doing the work myself once I know where to look. Plenty of threads about doing this type of work around.
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
JJ-4

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is it the AX-15 trans if so I have a manual for rebuilding it. It's actually pretty simple and will save u a bunch of money if you can do it yourself

Firefighters Jeep Club
http://groups.jeepforum.com/Firefighters_Jee p_Club
JJ-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
WindsorRenegade
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hey man, throw that it the thread he posted in the link....I posted lol
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #13
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

yeah I haven't modified it at all so it should be the stock transmission, which if I have researched correctly is the AX-15. I'll look at it for confirmation tomorrow. Where'd you find the manual? Sounds like a worthy investment if I'm about to take on this project on my own.
Unread 06-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry for the delay. My daughters were playing on my phone, so I was away for a bit. They're the reason I live, so I try to make them feel special!

What motor & transmission are we talking about?

Any change when the clutch pedal is depressed?

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:28 PM   #15
mrbriteside1465
1994 YJ Wrangler 

stock I6 engine and stock transmission (assuming AX-15). Depressing the clutch does not have a noticeable affect on anything. Drove it today, and there was some noise throughout the first 4 gears. One time I was coasting up to a stop sign in neutral and sounded like everything locked up, made a huge slamming noise under my jeep, shook everything, and then went back to "normal". Continued to drive it in the first 4 gears and the noise seemed to go away and it was acting like it should while I was on my way home. Still not using 5th at all.

Tags
5th gear , transfer case , transmission , YJ

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.