I made a _____ for my YJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 223 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my YJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Reply
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:55 PM   #3331
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiechief View Post
Looks good Ash!
Thanks man

ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:27 AM   #3332
YJames90
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Dutchess County, NY
Posts: 6,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashland82391 View Post
Only problem is the soft top frame bar that pushes in the center of the top won't go past my wanna be spoiler so I just have to split the bar in half via the joint in the center, bring it the rest of the way down and reattach it. takes an extra 30 seconds.

Here's the rest of the cage that I just finished up.

It would have been cool of you made that rear cross bar sit at the same place as the bow does so you could eliminate the bow. And do the same for the cross bar in front.
I think I just found my next project
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poke View Post
Spring Over is not for you.... yet





My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #3333
ashland82391
Out of money yet...Yup!
 
ashland82391's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Posts: 6,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJames90 View Post

It would have been cool of you made that rear cross bar sit at the same place as the bow does so you could eliminate the bow. And do the same for the cross bar in front.
I think I just found my next project
Yeah, but if its too tight you can't get the soft top into the channels.
ashland82391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #3334
Dirty714
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 3
Speaker box

So I've been thinking about putting subs in my jeep, my buddy put them under the back seat of his truck, I was wondering if this is possible in a jeep? maybe with the shallow mount subs? I havent really inspected how much room is under the seat, but it doesnt look like much. Any info is greatly appreciated
Dirty714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:46 PM   #3335
Not-Bob
Registered User
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 49
I have heard that someone had made brackets to raise there back seat to put dual subs in. Also heard someone did it to put storage drawer under seat. There was also someone that mounted them in the back of the back seat, but I would think that would hit front seats if you tried to fold the seat. Good luck.
__________________
Slowly...oh so slowly, building better then new 1990 YJ one part/piece at a time.
Not-Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:58 PM   #3336
kingcat400
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
Posts: 502
these comments go in the audio/electronics fourm
kingcat400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #3337
njboomer
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fords, NJ
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56 View Post
+1

i hate when people try to use plywood for any kind of sub install its just not meant for that , plus not to mention that it looks really BIG For 2 8" subs

Really though get a sheet of MDF 1/2' to 3/4" it will make a world of difference in the sound and it is only about 25.00 - 30.00 for a 4x8 sheet and then you have left to make other good things lol



EDIT,

here is the ones i made for my 8" subs they are only 5"tall 22" long and like 9" wide



you sir are wrong... When I worked for sony building show cars at the tech center all we used was furniture/marine grade birch plywood it was 13 layers thick and cost 70$ a sheet... mdf simply isn't meant to ever touch water it only holds up if you paint it with resin...
njboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #3338
Gage56
Web Wheeler
 
Gage56's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Northumberland, PA
Posts: 1,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by njboomer View Post
you sir are wrong... When I worked for sony building show cars at the tech center all we used was furniture/marine grade birch plywood it was 13 layers thick and cost 70$ a sheet... mdf simply isn't meant to ever touch water it only holds up if you paint it with resin...


__________________
1992 YJ
2004 Bmw 330XI

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=


Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #3339
njboomer
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Fords, NJ
Posts: 39
Birch ply is stronger, lighter, and has better acoustical characteristics than MDF. it also won't crumble when it gets wet... most shops don't use it because you can get away with using mdf in cars...
njboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:47 PM   #3340
imstillatwork
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oregon Coast, Oregon
Posts: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gage56
i hate when people try to use plywood for any kind of sub install its just not meant for that , plus not to mention that it looks really BIG For 2 8" subs

Really though get a sheet of MDF 1/2' to 3/4" it will make a world of difference in the sound and it is only about 25.00 - 30.00 for a 4x8 sheet and then you have left to make other good things lol
You don't 'get' to tell people that ply is wrong for a sub, and then proceed to tell them that 1/2" is OK?!?!?!?

1/2" isn't even OK for a 6" driver in a 'bookshelf' speaker without a million braces... Sheesh!
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #3341
grandizer52
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: pearl cit, hawaii
Posts: 10
anyone else done this?

anyone else done this



Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8942 View Post
I have a similar setup on my Aircooled VW and it's great.
I used a high low tube setup inside the can so no matter the direction of flow no liquid gets into the intake air stream.
grandizer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #3342
squishy
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: JBMDL, New Jersey
Posts: 1,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandizer52
anyone else done this
For what? The intake? An oba compressor ?
squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #3343
RikRotorhead
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: SloCal
Posts: 8,879
I think he's talking about an air intake.
__________________
Betcha' wish your girlfriend was as dirty as my Jeep!
Zombies hate fast food.
Hang on! This is gunna' be a thrill ride of geriatric proportion!
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #3344
fishadventure
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Morrisville, VT
Posts: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaskiE View Post
I've heard that about vertical welds... I was just curious; I'm still learning. nice job & thanks Rambo!
You can weld vertical to a frame- but you shouldn't just make that weld and leave it. You can do several things to alleviate the "stress riser" - weld long, useless gussets longitudinal to the frame; run a "tail" stress-relief bead of weld at right angles to the vertical weld tailing it off at twice the length of the vertical weld; triangulated gussets, etc. Preheating the weld area with acetylene (not cherry red or oxidized, though) and then applying a long triangle gusset (22 degrees cut instead of 45) combined with a stress-relief tail bead off the 'sharp' point is probably the best. I learned a lot watching stuff break and get fixed on Bombardier ski trail groomers when I worked in the shop at a ski area. But that's just my opinion- I just like weld beads better than bolts.
__________________
How many old threads actually convince *you* to read all 36 pages? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/length-envy-build-thread-629700/
fishadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #3345
HaskiE
Thread Reviver
 
HaskiE's Avatar
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Lowell, MA
Posts: 1,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
You can weld vertical to a frame- but you shouldn't just make that weld and leave it. You can do several things to alleviate the "stress riser" - weld long, useless gussets longitudinal to the frame; run a "tail" stress-relief bead of weld at right angles to the vertical weld tailing it off at twice the length of the vertical weld; triangulated gussets, etc. Preheating the weld area with acetylene (not cherry red or oxidized, though) and then applying a long triangle gusset (22 degrees cut instead of 45) combined with a stress-relief tail bead off the 'sharp' point is probably the best. I learned a lot watching stuff break and get fixed on Bombardier ski trail groomers when I worked in the shop at a ski area. But that's just my opinion- I just like weld beads better than bolts.
thanks for the info - I've definitely added pre-heating & stress relief tails to my welds - along with fish plates - never heard of the longitudinal bit before, good to know!

'knowing is half the battle' thanks,
__________________
1992 YJ 1"Body Lift, Slip Yoke Eliminator & CV Driveshaft,
2.5" TJ exhaust, WJ valve cover, XJ Computer, External Slave Cyl AX15,
Durango Steeringbox, No track or sway bars, CJ tailgate, on 31's :)
#theneverendingaxe
HaskiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diy jeep mods , do it yourself , homemade
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.