I made a _____ for my YJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I made a _____ for my YJ! (post your homemade Jeep stuff here)

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 09-02-2007, 08:50 AM   #16
shunt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
Also put one under the hood, on the old jack mount. Just used wingnuts here cuz I have a hood lock.

They will steal anything not nailed down in San Diego, so storage is a big deal. Not only did some low life steal the change out of my ashtray, they took the whole ashtray.

What ammo can did you use for that? I like that........

Unread 09-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #17
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt
I think it's a 50cal. Measures about 6x6x12.

fyi. I stuck some velcro under the handle, so it would not rattle. And for the console box I squeezed a piece of heater hose under it for the same reason.

Those hood locks are not really secure but good enough for stashing my jumper cables and what not.

btw, left the jack mount in place but did saw off the tabs to make a flat surface.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #18
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunt
The console one looks to be a 20mm the one under the hood looks more like....well never mind, just looked again, maybe it is a 50 cal.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #19
learfxr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank29
How big of a tire can you put on that? Do you have any drawings or measurements? I would like to make one for myself and I would like to combine a few different designs together. Looks sharp.

Todd

I used the info in the Fabrication forum. It's a modified version of the one Besrk designed and showed how to build. I have a 34" LTB and a steel wheel on there, also a highlift jack. I need to reinforce the Jeep frame back there, the whole bumper will move a little. Those tires are not light. Some guys run metal from the base of the bumper to the holes on the bottom of the frame, but some genius broke a rusted bolt off in my frame there and I've had no luck getting it out.

00 TJ 8.8 swap, 35's and 4.88's
learfxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #20
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe
The console one looks to be a 20mm the one under the hood looks more like....well never mind, just looked again, maybe it is a 50 cal.
console is 20mm for sure. perfect height.

The top has no hinge, so I cut off the back latch and welded the wire hoop to the back of the can for a hinge. The pop rivets in the picture are holding a strap that keeps the lid from going all the way back.

cheers
Unread 09-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #21
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I also have ammo box storage, doubles as speaker boxes. I love Jbolty's quick release though. I'll have to do that so I can use my Tonneau cover again.

I made a LED dome light out of a cheapo Kragen light. It's so bright I need to wear a hat. About 32,000 MCD combined.

Used a Wilderness rack from a 4-Runner, and bolted it to the roll bars. I used some 2" BL mounts that I ground down to fit the roll bar, and some nifty clamps I found at Home Depot.

Also it fits under the garage door.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 09:56 AM   #22
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Mr.B]I also have ammo box storage, doubles as speaker boxes. I love Jbolty's quick release though. I'll have to do that so I can use my Tonneau cover again.

I love the idea of doubling as speaker boxes. How do you protect the speakers from whatever else is rattling around in the boxes?

You could mount a couple of radio shack headphone plugs for easy removal. Actually if you added 20 feet or so of wire you could drag the speakers into your campsite.
Unread 09-02-2007, 10:06 AM   #23
tank29
Yeah, It's A Jeep Thing!!

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by learfxr
I used the info in the Fabrication forum. It's a modified version of the one Besrk designed and showed how to build. I have a 34" LTB and a steel wheel on there, also a highlift jack. I need to reinforce the Jeep frame back there, the whole bumper will move a little. Those tires are not light. Some guys run metal from the base of the bumper to the holes on the bottom of the frame, but some genius broke a rusted bolt off in my frame there and I've had no luck getting it out.

I am looking to build one that will hold 37" tire on a 16x8 or 10 steel rim.

I would do another search and see what I can come up with.

Thanks.

Todd

TeraFlex 3" Kit with 4 Arm Flex Kit, TeraFlex HD F & R Adj. Track Bar, Rock Krawler Spring Levelers, Yukon 5.13 Gears, Black Rock Soft 8 Steel Wheels 16x8 (4.25" BS), Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, XRC Rear Bumper w/Tire Swing, Rugged Ridge Front w/Stinger, AEV Snorkel, Cobra 75, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fender Flares
tank29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 10:26 AM   #24
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

roll cage...
cage-web.jpg
fenders....
fendersdoneweb.jpg

and god knows what else......

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #25
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

removable sailboard/canoe rack.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #26
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty
I love the idea of doubling as speaker boxes. How do you protect the speakers from whatever else is rattling around in the boxes?

You could mount a couple of radio shack headphone plugs for easy removal. Actually if you added 20 feet or so of wire you could drag the speakers into your campsite.

I don't have any pics of them all set up inside, but basically (on the passenger side) I put a large piece of foam on the back of the speaker. Then used some old ceiling liner I had laying around from an old Montero to line it. On the drivers side, I just have large pieces of foam glued in with enough space to hold two bottles of Jack Daniels. I could roll five times and those bottles will still be intact. Here's a pic of the box without the foam, and another one with the front of the speaker.
Wiring won't be a problem, building the quick release mount will be, since I don't have a welder.

White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Homemade rocker guards for the YJ.

1/8" hot rolled, 2" wrap underneath the tub. $48 for the steel, about $6 or so for the hardware and silicone sealant.

LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 03:24 PM   #28
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.B
I don't have any pics of them all set up inside, but basically (on the passenger side) I put a large piece of foam on the back of the speaker. Then used some old ceiling liner I had laying around from an old Montero to line it. On the drivers side, I just have large pieces of foam glued in with enough space to hold two bottles of Jack Daniels. I could roll five times and those bottles will still be intact. Here's a pic of the box without the foam, and another one with the front of the speaker.
Wiring won't be a problem, building the quick release mount will be, since I don't have a welder.
As long as the Jack is safe, all is right with the world. LOL

You don't need a welder for a quick release on the fenders. I had to weld up a base for the console to go over the trans hump. For the fender mount you just need a hacksaw and a drill.

Unread 09-02-2007, 03:35 PM   #29
VABYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

i don't have anything that i've made yet, but this thread is AWESOME! kudos on making it! stickie?

Member number 1 of the official "I will never change my square headlights to circular headlights" club. AKA the IWNCMSHTCHC. also, the founder. and the only member.
VABYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #30
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

some fender flares, i made up..and the diamond plate rockers, I impressed how durable, they are rolled under in a complete square, and tuck under the lip of the body, quite strong.....

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
diy jeep mods , do it yourself , homemade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.