I learned that you DO need your front trackbar! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I learned that you DO need your front trackbar!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-11-2007, 03:48 PM   #31
Punisher
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Guessing that one or more things are "off" on your rig if your axle is walking more than an inch.

1. Ubolts are loose
2. Centering pins are broke
3. Bushings (shackle or Frame) are worn out, or originals
4. Shackles are too long, which will lead to #3

I've been 2 years with no sway or tracbars. Daily driven on the freeway and back country roads 100 miles a day, and wheeled hard on the weekends. ABSOLUTELY ZERO problems. Shackles are torqued properly, as well as my U-bolts, Running BDS 3.5" SUA packs with the second main leaf's military wrap cut to 1/4.

If your steering is pulling your axle out of center, you have issues a trac-bar is NOT going to fix. Check the items above and report back....

Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #32
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I havnt ran any Swaybars or Trackbars in over 2 years now and I dont have any issues at all
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:13 PM   #33
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard
We get the blue trash can again. You should make it your avatar.

I used to run my front track bar until I got new front springs. The old ones were worn and I didn't like the way it drove. Now it's just fine without.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #34
TommyT
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Gosh...

...CJ's don't have track bars, and they have 2" wide leaf springs. YJ's have a much stouter 2.5" leaf. They don't need 'em. They're for soccer mom's that can't drive. If you wanna argue about needing sway bars I'll listen. Track bars...no way!
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:41 PM   #35
goatboy
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Ya know what? To each her or his own... Ya want one, ya feel good about it, run one...you don't give a rip about it, install it in the blue trash can and be done with it... I've tried to give my old one away...nobody wants it...but, I think it'll make good stock for future projects...
goatboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #36
91yjwrangler6
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Anybody got a Ford Super duty? Look under the front end, you WILL see a track bar.
Well on a Ford Superduty your going to need a trac bar. Could you imagine driving around with 5000 pounds on a gooseneck trailer. Of course you would have side to side movement. And on top of that the truck all but weighs 7000 pounds. My jeep would never have close to that amount of weight on it. Now i know the springs on my jeep aren't as heavy duty as the ones on the superduty. But still it's obvious after reading through this thread that you don't HAVE to have trac bars. Me and thousands of other don't run them. It's all preference though. Do what you want to do. It's your jeep. Most people on here don't care what you do to your jeep as long as you build it safe.
91 yj, 4.0, AX15, SOA, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 2.5 inch springs front, m.o.r.e shackle reversal, m.o.r.e shock hoops, 3 inch springs in rear, bilstein 5150's, shock bar, m.o.r.e traction bar, lockers, m.o.r.e high steer, SYE, old school bronco cv shaft, tube fenders, 36 inch tsl's
91yjwrangler6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM   #37
jeepinMatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

my front end does move a little with no trac bar. only because i have nothing holding my leaves together on the end. all the retainers had to be cut. I wont say a track bar is needed but it might help if you are worried about it. But i feel the advantage of not having it is much greater than the advantage of having it
jeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 06:08 AM   #38
chupacabrah
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've had no sway bars and no track bars for over 2 years with no problems at all.

the suspension gets soft and it has more body roll in curves, but who cares if it has a "tight" suspension or not...it's not a sports car, you SHOULDNT be trying to fly through the twisties, anyway, it's a JEEP.

it there is too much body roll for your personal tastes, then get sway bar disconnects for the front, and that will help tremendously.

really, as long as springs and shackles and ubolts are all in good condition and properly torqued....the axle should not uncenter anything radically like the OP said...

Build Thread
jeep stuff
chupacabrah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 12:27 PM   #39
ovrlnd

the inclination that no trackbar would cause this is absolute weapons-grade baloneyum.
15 years with no trackbars on my YJ and my axles have never come out of alignment unless the leaf spring was damaged and even then it was front to back, not side to side.

I have ran no trackbars stock, and with a ton of different configurations and none still on my current setup.

88 YJ, 350/350 Chevy, Twin Stick Dana 300 with JB 32 spline rear output, 6.5" lift, Front Scout II Dana 44 w/Yukon 4340 shafts, trac loc, 4.27's, Warn Premium Hubs, flipped YJ Tie Rod, Ford F150 front calipers, Rear Scout II Dana 44 w/Alloy 4340 shafts, HD RPT retainer plates, 4.27's True trac, Steeltech Disc brakes, Cage upgrade, B&M Prostick Shifter, Custom Fabbed tire, gas, jack carrier, 3/8 angle rear bumper, clevis's all around, old & reliable rep8000 winch. Flood lights. loud stereo. 35x12.50 swampers and a bunch of other stuff
ovrlnd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #40
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy
Ya know what? , I think it'll make good stock for future projects...

That is the only reason that I have not given mine to the garbage man. Best mod I ever did on my YJ is get rid of the track bars. I live in florida and was getting stuck way to simply. The guys here on forum told me to get rid of the track bars, now my ride is softer, I have the flex to not get stuck with spinning wheels as easy.

Before taking off the track bars if I places a four inch brick under one front and one back tire diagonaly my tires would spin. Granted I did not have stock springs when I tried this experiment. Taking off the track bars gave me the flex that I needed.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #41
Floatsum
1991 YJ Wrangler 

2 1/2" softride lift, track bars gone. I like it!
Granted new poly bushing everywhere may have helped. But I'm seeing nothing but positive results and that's on hiway, beach, and rock.
I do have disconnects on the sway. Feel the sway helps a bit on tight higher speed unexpected turns,, but feel the tracks did little but argue with the axels trying to articulate on beach ruts and rock. Road? Never noticed any change.
I just checked and the front and rears are still aligned.
Why it wouldbe different for one than anouther? Something needs to be different somewheres.
Floatsum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #42
Ryno98

There actually is a good solution that can quiet all the moaning and extravagant claims on both sides of this issue: the telescoping track bar. JKS makes it, I put it on my Jeep about 3-4 mos ago and it is the best dang money I have spent since I lifted the Jeep as far as on-road handling and safety is concerned. I also experienced the sideways bump-steer like problem on compression; now it handles every bit as good as my 2005 GMC Sierra. Best thing: grab a 9/16 wrench and it takes 3 seconds to loosen or tighten a bolt on the front of the trackbar that allows it to give full flex or tighten up the steering response. Check out my full review on it in the product review section of the forum. Hate sounding like a JKS spokesman or something, but it really works well for me.
Unread 10-14-2007, 01:11 PM   #43
dmcanally

2011 JK Wrangler 

All I know is over the past few days on road handeling is MUCH... and I do mean MUCH better. JMO though.
,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
dmcanally is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:54 PM   #44
jeep795
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i used an old track bar once to make a steering box support. took to peices of flat stock, bent them around a pipe with some heat. clamped those around the round part of the steering box, then i bolted a peice of 1/4 flat stock to the clamp, and welded the track bar to it and bolted it to the frame.
jeep795 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2007, 02:42 AM   #45
oldballz
2011 JK Wrangler 

hahaha...mine had about three seconds of hang time before impacting hard into the bottom of a dumpster!!!
oldballz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.