I learned that you DO need your front trackbar! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I learned that you DO need your front trackbar!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 10-11-2007, 07:58 AM   #16
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat
Am I missing something? For your axle to be a couple inches out of line with the rear wouldn't the spring perches and U-bolts have to be in the wrong place? Leaf springs don't flex side to side so how in the world are your springs centered while your axle isn't?
His shackles would be at a pretty good side to side angle...

'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Am I missing something? For your axle to be a couple inches out of line with the rear wouldn't the spring perches and U-bolts have to be in the wrong place? Leaf springs don't flex side to side so how in the world are your springs centered while your axle isn't?
Well, they can move a little bit, which is what the trackbar is supposed to inhibit the axles from doing. A couple inches or more is extreme though. Could be that the rear is out a little one way and the front is offset a little the other making it appear to be out a couple of inches. But yes i agree, if they are out a couple of inches i would tend to think something is loose or worn... JMO
-Michael
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:20 AM   #18
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe someones u-bolts are a bit loose??
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #19
grenMEG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

X2, that and i bet since you got a lift you got a hi-lift jack...
Well take that jack and jack up the front to see if the axle "pops" back in to position if not see what you can do. maybe move it side to side, see how it droops, etc...
It might be your shackles, if they are grease shackles and you have the bolts REALLY loose that might create that much side to side movement. Check your spring packs, and maybe your ?wheels???
grenMEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #20
The Rat
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_94YJ
Well, they can move a little bit, which is what the trackbar is supposed to inhibit the axles from doing. A couple inches or more is extreme though. Could be that the rear is out a little one way and the front is offset a little the other making it appear to be out a couple of inches. But yes i agree, if they are out a couple of inches i would tend to think something is loose or worn... JMO
-Michael
The track bar inhibits front to back motion. Say your leaf spring snaps on the trail and you aren't running a track bar, your axle won't shift from side to side but it will shift front to back (on the broken side). Seen that scenario in person man...no other issues even after trying to continue wheeling and driving it off the trail...new spring and all was right with the world.
Unread 10-11-2007, 08:58 AM   #21
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The track bar inhibits front to back motion. Say your leaf spring snaps on the trail and you aren't running a track bar, your axle won't shift from side to side but it will shift front to back (on the broken side). Seen that scenario in person man...no other issues even after trying to continue wheeling and driving it off the trail...new spring and all was right with the world.
not trying to argue here but your track bar inhibits side to side motion, not front to back. Think about it...
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:00 AM   #22
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

radius arms on a coil spring rig would inhibit front to back motion.
your leaf springs on a leaf sprung vehicle shouldn't allow your axle to move front to back with or without a track bar.
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #23
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
not trying to argue here but your track bar inhibits side to side motion, not front to back. Think about it...
correct.
i run no track bars, and run an extremely soft leaf spring (old man emu) and the axles are perfectly inline, but then again, i welded them and not jeep.....think my measuring skills are a little more precise than the average assembly line...

if i turn the steering hard to one side, it will flex the leaf springs and shackles a little. bend the frame? no way, been there and done that, if your steering is moving the frame, as was the case with my old frame, you need a new frame bud!
if ye want the tighter feeling ride onroad, put a trac bar on there. i can rest 1 finger on my steering wheel at 70mph and have no vibes/wobbles/etc, and when i turn the steering wheel, the jeep turns...amazing huh?

martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:24 AM   #24
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That is correct, a track bar is there to inhibit side to side movement. Man if I had a dollar for every time I heard this thread come up
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #25
dmcanally

2011 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to have to wait for my girlfriend to get home before I can post a video... but I will take some pictures.

I don't have any vibes or really any problems aside from the axles being out of line and the entire front end of my rig moving when turning at a complete stop.
,[___],
l--L --[]lllll[]-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
dmcanally is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 09:54 AM   #26
mp3coupe
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatboy
Well, all I can tell ya is that there have been leaf sprung vehicles on American roads for over a hundred years without track bars, and not too many manufacturers have seen fit to install them... and there have been tons of guys who have removed them without consequence...if yer springs are displaced one side to another, check your frame...it's probably bent...
Pretty much any truck with leaf springs that wasn't built in the early 80s has a track bar. (Super dutys run them even with the heavy duty springs) They must have realized that a higher center of gravity along with the weight is enough to walk an axle. If you remove your trackbar and go on a twisty road doing the speed limit you can feel the front end walking out. Sure you can remove it and enjoy a soft feeling suspension. I've done it in the past but I experienced the same as the OP and I don't care for the loose feel when cornering. Sure a jeep isn't a sports car but does that mean it needs to float around the turn? The more ark you have in your springs the more you'll feel it (leverage) Even with flat springs there is movement don't kid yourself.
mp3coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #27
kmax
2006 XK Commander 

The picture in Joe's post (#4) looks like it was taken in my garage. Same toolbox, same blue trash can, same parts in the can... Are those old JKS disconnects on that sway bar?

I think when there's no lift and the springs are relatively flat, a track bar will help the front end feel a little tighter. When you add positive arch lift springs and cause the track bar to be at an angle, you create the problem of having components that are trying to move against each other when the springs compress. As was stated in an earlier post, the leaf springs are trying to move vertically, such as over expansion joints on the highway. The track bar, which is now at an angle because of the lift, is trying to move in a radius around the frame mount. Therefore, when the suspension compresses, the track bar causes the springs to deflect to the side, even if just a little bit. My point is, when I had a track bar on there, my jeep felt like it was moving sideways every time I hit a bump that caused compression in the front end. Might be personal preference, but the handling feels better to me without the track bar.
Unread 10-11-2007, 11:46 AM   #28
s68139c
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No sway bar, no track bars, no problems.

s68139c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 03:17 PM   #29
yjrush
1993 YJ Wrangler 

x2

I had mine on when I got her. I took it out once, was told by 3 people i didnt need em. Havent had them on since and no problems.

2000 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9L (Tow Rig)
yjrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2007, 03:25 PM   #30
BadAddetude
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp3coupe
Pretty much any truck with leaf springs that wasn't built in the early 80s has a track bar. (Super dutys run them even with the heavy duty springs) They must have realized that a higher center of gravity along with the weight is enough to walk an axle. If you remove your trackbar and go on a twisty road doing the speed limit you can feel the front end walking out. Sure you can remove it and enjoy a soft feeling suspension. I've done it in the past but I experienced the same as the OP and I don't care for the loose feel when cornering. Sure a jeep isn't a sports car but does that mean it needs to float around the turn? The more ark you have in your springs the more you'll feel it (leverage) Even with flat springs there is movement don't kid yourself.
Anybody got a Ford Super duty? Look under the front end, you WILL see a track bar. I had mine off when the bracket was broken, and i did not like the way the jeep rode. driving behind it, you could see the rear axel shift from side to side in a corner. lot of torque on those ubolts in corners. my vote is they were there for a reason. Yes, lots of heavy trucks dont have them, but it definatley wouldnt hurt to have it.
1995 YJ: 4.0, 700R4, 231 C/J case, TeraFlex SS SYE/CV shaft, 8.8 with 3.73 gears, 136 Amp Alternator, Trans Cooler, Pavement Ends Flip-top/H-T, 2'' BDS Suspension Lift, MORE 5/8' Greasables, Sony GT-210 Xplode Head.

Under the Knife! See the build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/badaddetudes-build-project-hrp-602142/
BadAddetude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.