I keep hearing a popping/clanking sound when turning... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I keep hearing a popping/clanking sound when turning...

CCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 11-05-2010, 05:19 PM   #16
rivalarrival
Stormaggedon

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, u-joints love to bind and creak and pop in turns when they start to fail, even when the driveshaft isn't engaged.

Twist the front driveshaft back and forth while watching the u-joints. ANY visible play in the joint itself is too much.

I would STRONGLY advise against waiting for them to break. Once you see play in them, it's time to replace them at your earliest convenience.

We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart

Any gas can be a knockout gas, when you wrap a steel cylinder around it and beat someone with it.

Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #188
rivalarrival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Twist the front driveshaft back and forth while watching the u-joints. ANY visible play in the joint itself is too much.
I will try that, thank you.
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:57 AM   #18
xeastend
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also while it is jacked up,see if there is play in the bearings.Bad bearings in the hub assembly will make the same noise.Push on the top and bottom of the tire.Should be no movement.
If so.replace the hub.Cost around $100

LOOKING FOR 4cyl axles F/R, 4.10s, will trade for my 3.07s complete

Also need 16x8 rims with less backspacing
xeastend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:57 PM   #19
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What did this end up being?
1994 JEEP WRANGLER YJ, 4.0 AX-15, DANA 30/35 STOCK GEARS, 4 INCH SKY JACKER LIFT KIT, T-CASE DROP, 32X11.50 DUNLOP MUD ROVERS ON BLACK RIMS, CHROME EVERYWHERE, CLEAR CORNERS, WHITE GAUGES, RHINO LINED INTERIOR,FRAME AND TUB, FRESH MOTOR CLUTCH AND TRANS, 236K ON THE BODY!!!
media88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #20
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My bet would be track bar. Had exact same issue. kept my bar but changed bushings. Noise is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jonny93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #21
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

How would I test for all this it kind of sounded like a bad mount or u joint but there all fine!
1994 JEEP WRANGLER YJ, 4.0 AX-15, DANA 30/35 STOCK GEARS, 4 INCH SKY JACKER LIFT KIT, T-CASE DROP, 32X11.50 DUNLOP MUD ROVERS ON BLACK RIMS, CHROME EVERYWHERE, CLEAR CORNERS, WHITE GAUGES, RHINO LINED INTERIOR,FRAME AND TUB, FRESH MOTOR CLUTCH AND TRANS, 236K ON THE BODY!!!
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #22
jonny93yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My bet would be track bar. Had exact same issue. kept my bar but changed bushings. Noise is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
jonny93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #23
shagsjeep
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Mine does the same thing now. Turning the wheel at slow speeds, to park the jeep, or whatever, and it clunks in the front end while turning the wheel. It actually seems like shifting as well because the front end jolts a little, it moves from the binding, or whatever happens I am not sure. I was under my jeep as well for some time yesterday looking for any type of damage, anything broken or worn, jacked up each side, checking to shake the wheels for play from a bad ball joint. I could not find it, could not find why its doing this. I am wondering now if a binding, or damaged u-joint could do this even though the front drive axle is not engaged. I am currently at a loss myself, I don't know what it is. I have 2.5 emu lift, no track bars, or sway bar attached.
I'm no expert, nor am I saying 100% this is it. However, what both of you are explaining sounds a lot like the knuckle is binding up. I have had this issue in my 1994 Ford F-150 4x4, my 1980 Ford F-150 4x4, and now in my 89 YJ as well. The U-joint inside the knuckle is bad. You can wiggle the tire while off the ground and notice nothing. It only happens when turning left or right.

What's happening is that one or more of the four caps in the U-joint has frozen/went bad and when it rotates and pressure is applied to it, it forces it to move, causing the jolt.

My way of testing for this is to, Turn the wheel full rotation to left or right, Slowly ( first gear ) drive jeep in a full circle. If the front end "jumps/jolts" or "skips" however you call it, you have a bad U-joint in the knuckle.
If your going left and it "joilts" to the right, then it's the right U-joint knuckle and vise versa. I have never changed just the bad one. Once one goes out I find it best to just replace both side.
I hope this helps.
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:17 AM   #24
media88
1994 YJ Wrangler 

What is it actually called I did the test I turn left the right jutters. I wanna get an estimate don't think I could do that myself just wanna.know that actual part name
Unread 11-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #25
copleydad

1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had the exact same problem, exact symptoms and exact sounds. Checked everything, and yes, have 6 month old OME springs.

Turns out there are leaf liners on the inside of the spring clamp that are a crappy design. They deteriorate, fall out etc and the leaves slide side to side making the noise. Mine happened to be on the rear 2 springs, but the way the sound was traveling, sounded like the front end was eating itself up.

I fabbed up a couple plates and through bolted them around the rear couple of leaves, right by the shackles, kind of a spring sandwich, while I'm waiting for OME to get me the new liners. No more noise.

The only way I figured it out was by adding weight to the Jeep (hardtop and a large buddy) and then could rock it to make the sound. Had to physically get under her to narrow it down because the frame acts like a giant speaker.

One Jeep is Never Enough
copleydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 05:21 PM   #26
jscott321

Popping Sound

I used to have this same problem. On mine, it a popping sound was made every time I drove into the driveway. It turned out to be a bracket right below/next to my front right shock absorber. Look around for for a crack. A welder friend finally figured it out and fixed it. Was hard to see and only popped because it was under stress. - Good luck!
jscott321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #27
lovett86
1990 YJ Wrangler 

sounds like a front axle u-joint, have to do mine soon to
lovett86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.