I just started the rebuild on my YJ.. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I just started the rebuild on my YJ..

I can't say I am a pro but I have my Chilton manual and a prayer. Right now I have Dana30/35's, front and back respectively, geared to 3.07. The Jeep is an I-6, 4.0L 5 speed manual. So my question is this to all you experts out there.. What is the most effective way to go about rebuilding and what is a nice modification to make to the Jeep when rebuilding? As in, what size tires, gear ratio, suspension lift/body lift, etc. Would it make sense to ditch the current axles and find something else? Are there other vehicles beside the YJ that offer interchangeable parts to the YJ? I don't want to lose my shirt either.. Any info. would help.. I have 6 months to get her done in time for spring.. I've had the Jeep since I was 16 (now 28), went into the Marines, brought her to the East and West coast, deployed to both crap holes (had my bro watch her the last three years I was in and overseas), and I've now reacquired her from him.. Needless to say my brother didn't take care of her and even though I'm rebuilding her I found myself outside until 1AM taking all the squeaks and rattles out of her wherever I could find them last night.. This Jeep means a lot to me so I am hoping there is an expert out there that can guide me down the right path to doing this effectively, for cheap, but maintaining quality for what will inevitably become an off-road vehicle yearning the opportunity of dominating the paths..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

And there is the picture of her.. See what I mean? She's crying from below the windshield because my brother physically and emotionally abused her!
Attached Thumbnails
Jeep1.jpg  
post #3 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 02:57 PM
Newfie_Jeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Well, it sounds like you are going to have an excellent project to take you through the winter! Last winter I did the same with my YJ. I did a complete frame off restoration and put about 1500 hours into it. I also had a manual and used google for everything.

You will find that there are so many upgrades you can do, that please everyone, everything needs to be changed...bigger axles, motor, etc......

What I did was make a longterm plan, and try to do mods that I wouldnt have to undo or scrap later. Last year I built the frame up from scratch, reinforced the known weak areas, got rid of anything weak, and ended up with a really nice frame. Then I did the body, top to bottom, completely got rid of rust and weak spots, and I have a really nice tub to work with. I then put in an old 305 V8 that i had, and put a lot of enphasis on proper placement, with the intention that I would not have to change it again when I swap in a better motor. I did all new mounts, and any SYE on the Transfer case, and decent drive shaft. So what I ended up with was an extremely strong and rust free body and frame and proper engine set up, so as I add things down the road, the jeep should last for a good many years.

So if I were you, I'd fix up the body and frame (its realllllly easy to take the body off the frame) and get your motor running good. The stock axles are not much good when compared to other setups, but its not junk, you can deffinetly leave as is and swap out the axles later.

You will also find your money goes pretty quick!!!!!

Enjoy! I'd love to do mine all over again!

Newfie

post #4 of 16 Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
DMKJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just got into jeeps this year and have 2 that I am putting together to make one. My suggestion would be to spend some time looking over JF. I have found a LOT of information just looking at what others have done. I think one reply you are going to get is "what do you want to do with her". Once you see what others have done and why you will find out what you want to do. It will also give you information to ask specific questions. I have changed what I am doing a few times by looking at what others have done. Right now I am going to keep it simple but JF has given me ideas for the future. Hope this helps.
Thanks for you service we all owe you!

97 TJ work in progress
97 TJ, Parts
98 Grand Cherokee
post #5 of 16 Old 11-11-2010, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alright.. So I've thought long and hard about the long term plan and here's what I've come up with:

Stop the cancer of the rust spreading by taking her down to the frame and making sure it specs out. If not, there are plenty of frames out there to be bought. I'm going to build her back up with the Ford 8.8, 4.10 gears in the back and the Dana 30 YJ 2.5L 4.0L, 4.11 gears in the front. The tranny, transfer case, and engine will all remain the same, and, in time, those will be replaced as they break. So, the question I have is what mods need to be done other than those required by the rear axle spring perches, shock brackets, driveshaft, u-bolts, differential cover, sway bar mounts, and yolk? And also, I need someone to talk to me about suspensions. I was looking at pro comps coil conversion here: 5" Coil Spring Conversion(CSC) Suspension System for 1987-95 YJ Wrangler by ProComp Suspension

Just wondering if that's a good deal and/or if I am better off not doing the conversion? If I'm not going to do the conversion is there a leaf spring system out there that will give a smoother ride than what I have now? Someone suggested the ES9000 as you can adjust the ride for off-road or regular driving. It doesn't have to be this fancy though. I have an everyday driver that's more than comfy. I'm just looking to put something on there that will be comfortable to sit in for the occasional 2 hour trip to the Badlands, capable of hitting those trails, and/or regular driving in the summer through town. Anyone have any info on that?
post #6 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 04:26 AM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

When it comes to your suspension what you end up with depends on your budget and availability of tools for fabrication and modification.

I'd say if you have the tools and money, look into a SOA. If your not looking to do that much work I'd go with an OME or BDS lift. Also think about doing a SYE with your 8.8 install. I don't have any experience with a coil over but would hazard a guess that to do it right it would take as much or more work (and money) as a SOA. All of these options will increase the ride comfort tremendously, especially when you ditch your track bars.

When you're down to the frame, make sure to rust proof it well and beef up the rear cross member so you can bolt up some heavy stuff like a swing out tire carrier and/or good bumper. Even if you don't have plans for that mod now you will someday and there's no better time to do it then when the frame's out.

When your estimating the time and money it will take to finish a project like this, multiply it by two. Buy stock in PB Blaster, cut off wheels and acetylene.

Good luck and post pictures!

-John-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Haha.. Right on... Any other advice when I have it down to the frame? My boss just came by and spoke to me like this was the hardest task I will ever take on and blah blah blah.. How I appear to be doing more work than needed, etc.. But I'm thinking to myself, 1) Dick! I don't even have it taken apart yet other than the steering column and dash removed.. 2) I've been on this site scouting out some good advice hence my decision to keep the driveline in place, replace the axles, possibly do the SOA and rebuild it back up.. 3) It's a frickin JEEP! It bolts together and has to be one of the easiest vehicles out there to rebuild!!! Am I wrong here.. I hate the negativity.. The god damn negativity!!
post #8 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Working on Jeep right now.. Super pumped..
post #9 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 07:33 PM
johnboy68
HIP2BSQR

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't let the negativity get to you. I know all about it. I rebuilt mine at my In-Laws house and all I heard for two years is "You're doing way too much, I wouldn't worry about taking "that" apart, I wouldn't go that far with it...". Now that it's done all I hear is praise for a job well done!

So get to it! Keep it up and when you get discouraged, post some pictures here and we'll boost you up.

-John-

post #10 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 07:40 PM
mike_breaker_5
1994 YJ Wrangler 

first and foremost THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. (former u.s.m.c. field mp myself)
and as far as the build goes, i'd look into chassis saver and monstaliner from magnet paints. i painted my frame with both as well as my tub, undercoated and all. that stuff is serious. check him out in the vendor thread here
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/i...-liner-875162/

or check out my build thread to see it after applied.

after you get the tub off it's alot easier to get a grasp on what you need to address. cancer in the frame can go unnoticed until the light hits it. i prolly added 40# of plating to my frame and i thought i only had one tiny little crack.

Ratmonkey donation page. all proceeds will go to his family.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.

post #11 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 07:53 PM
linusb
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The Jeep is an easy vehicle to work on for sure (speaking relatively of course!). Thank you for your service and good luck.

1994 YJ Wrangler, 4.0, AX15, NP231, 35x12.50x15 BFG KM2s, 4" RC lift, 1" lift Boom Shackles, 1" BL, 4.10 gears, 8.8 LSD in rear and D30 Aussie Locker in front, on-board air conversion, Ramsey RE8000 winch.
post #12 of 16 Old 11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Blstr88
2013 JK Wrangler 

Heh I bought mine planning to just fix what it NEEDED and get it on the trails...here's how its sitting now, without ever having left my driveway yet

Its addicting, once you start pulling pieces apart you'll start saying to yourself "well, while I have this apart I might as well do that, or this, or that...". Haha its good to make plans, but it's also kind of fun to just plan as you go. Sounds like you've got a good idea what you want though, just get to it!
post #13 of 16 Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks everyone for the well wishes and the 'thank yous' for being in the service.. I rolled the Jeep back out of the garage and into the driveway.. My buddy and I are going to make some shelves in there tomorrow AM and hopefully roll the thing back in before the Bears game.. I will take pictures and make this my 'rebuild' thread..
post #14 of 16 Old 11-19-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
YJLover
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Alrighty.. Sitting here with a lot of the Jeep torn apart.. Exhausted, going to bed.. Will upload pics tomorrow..
post #15 of 16 Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 PM
Jeepsman
2005 KJ Liberty 

Ah, a fellow Normal Illinoisian!

I am looking forward to this build and seeing your Jeep on the streets!

2005 Jeep Liberty
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (SnowWhite's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.