i have searched and found nothing possible 3rd pass. rear seat - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > i have searched and found nothing possible 3rd pass. rear seat

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
wvcracker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i have searched and found nothing possible 3rd pass. rear seat

i am thinking of building a heavy gauage steel box under ther rear seat with a slide out drawer and getting a wider seat the fits over the wheel wells to make room for a 3rd passenger in the rear. I know that i need to bolt weld and bolt some more to make it a safe mod and im not looking to put 3 adults back there just children but saftey is my number one issue. I can weld and my best friend is a certified welder so i know the welds wont be a problem or will the seat belt bolt downs since i will use thicker plates where they bolt to. just wondering if anyone has tried this mod. I woulds also be adding side bars from the main loop of the cage to the rear bars coming down just for safety also.

wvcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:00 AM   #2
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

to get 3 to fit you're going to have to cut out the wheel wells. don't just put a seat on top of the wheel wells, or it will be way too high. Another option would be to put a bench seat up front and put 3 people in the front.
AW4 swap with awshifter = DONE
custom console
flatdash
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:05 AM   #3
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley View Post
to get 3 to fit you're going to have to cut out the wheel wells. don't just put a seat on top of the wheel wells, or it will be way too high. Another option would be to put a bench seat up front and put 3 people in the front.
Did you even read the OPs intro?
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:09 AM   #4
dukegnarley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_bosun View Post
Did you even read the OPs intro?
yes, it says he wants to put a bench above the wheel wells, and I explained that it would be too high. Even with kids, that will probably put their heads above the rollbar which is not safe.
AW4 swap with awshifter = DONE
custom console
flatdash
dukegnarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 05:25 AM   #5
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

I personally would never do this. There just isn't enough space for side bolster etc. With 3 packed in there, even with a roll cage built around them, they would still be tight enough to knock heads on themselves or the roll bars.

Have you looked into something like this???
From the YJ FAQ Seat swap thread, redrill 2 holes and this bolts in, 94 ranger bench.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
TheRealOldjeep
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I used to run my CJ with 3 little kids in the back seat (same size seat as a YJ). Wasn't able to do it for very long though.
97 TJ 2.5L/30RH - daughters car

www.oldjeep.com My site
TheRealOldjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #7
chadroc
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukegnarley View Post
yes, it says he wants to put a bench above the wheel wells, and I explained that it would be too high. Even with kids, that will probably put their heads above the rollbar which is not safe.
Your response made perfect sense to me!
To the OP- rustywranglers response seems like the best option
chadroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
aontkos
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I've been wanting to do something with my rear bench seat, like moving it so it faces the side. Or maybe getting a single seat that can fold and place it on the side, so I have the option for a passenger but still have cargo room. Something like the bench seats in the back of a Defender.

Something like this, but not necessarily on top of the wheel well:

I just haven't bought a fold down seat, or figured out what to do to keep it safe.
aontkos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #9
shu2kill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

this is what i made. i can have 3 passengers in the rear seat, with the 2 on the sides sitting partly on the wheel wells and partly on the original seat...

shu2kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:45 AM   #10
wvcracker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

i have looked at the front seat options and found them to be interesting but my concerns are 1. my wife and i are both larger people and dont think that there would be enough room for the smaller child to be between us and still shift or be comfortable 2. that would limit access to the rear seat because of the pass. side flip forward thing it would no longer be able to do. as for the rollbar being above there heads very good point i had not really taken that into to much consideration however making new bars that would set more level to the top of the main loop with a cross brace or two could resolve that. as for the bolsters on the side thats why i said about having bars on the sides to run from the front loop to the rear bar to help hold them in there. I dont see where the width would be less wider than say a ford explorer four door which seats 3 across the back. YES SAFETY IS MY FIRST CONCERN. other wise i would just throught the brats back there with bungee cords and say HANG ON!! jk....... thanks for the replies and i am not dont figureing this one out!
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #11
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

My old '65 Tuxedo Park (CJ5A) had the seat pads that snapped onto the well wells, but there was no back rest, nor were there seat belts. This did make room for four in the back, but there will have to be more done to keep them in safe.

This pic will show the rear seat pads in place.

I have since done some work to this Jeep. I have done away with the seat pads and installed a rear bench.
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #12
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcracker View Post
I dont see where the width would be less wider than say a ford explorer four door which seats 3 across the back!
The ford explorer body is 8" wider than the YJ.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
airdevil85
1994 YJ Wrangler 

intresting idea... would like to know what yall come up with
- "Its been a while since something broke on your truck"
airdevil85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:02 PM   #14
wvcracker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

rusty i did not realize that it was that much wider I have not taken any measurements of anything yet was just getting ideas or possable suggestions. I am going to go to the junkyard with a tape measure and see what i can come up with maybe even a a second row van seat. just an idea not looking to do searious offroading or even long trips with the kids back there just local city driving. the only long trip it will make is for when we move back to florida hopefully real soon if i can sell this place i have here in wv.
Unread 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jump-seats-812072/

TRY THIS
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.