I have read the posts and still need advice on oil pressure gauge issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I have read the posts and still need advice on oil pressure gauge issue

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 03-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I have read the posts and still need advice on oil pressure gauge issue

1988 yj with 4.2
gauge pegs at 80 psi when I started vehicle.

I changed the only sensor I could find on the passenger side/ lower engine / 2 prongs with no success, and I am unable to find the short.

many posts have another sending unit by the distributor cap, but mine seems to not be one of them I guess.

any advice would by much appreciated as I am about to take a hammer to the dash and buy an aftermarket mechanical unit.

rubinscube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
gbeltran
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The two prong sensor is something for the computer or the manifold heater, dont remember which, the oil gauge uses a 1 post sensor, it's pretty large compared to that two post deal, shaped like a bell. It's right below that one or just next to it, IIRC.
gbeltran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbeltran View Post
The two prong sensor is something for the computer or the manifold heater, dont remember which, the oil gauge uses a 1 post sensor, it's pretty large compared to that two post deal, shaped like a bell. It's right below that one or just next to it, IIRC.
great. I am getting a flashlight and going outside to check right now
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinscube View Post
1988 yj with 4.2
gauge pegs at 80 psi when I started vehicle.

I changed the only sensor I could find on the passenger side/ lower engine / 2 prongs with no success, and I am unable to find the short.

many posts have another sending unit by the distributor cap, but mine seems to not be one of them I guess.

any advice would by much appreciated as I am about to take a hammer to the dash and buy an aftermarket mechanical unit.
Here is what you need:

http://www.gbaparts.net/electrical/o...-53005218.html

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:35 PM   #5
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I uploaded a pic of the sensor I replaced. I did not see another
2013-03-02-18.27.20.jpg  
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman View Post
I think I am missing something. I just bought this "nutter-fide" jeep. maybe they went too far in removing parts?
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #7
gbeltran
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I think so, well don't know if they went to far as opposed to removing the wrong part. No, you are not missing anything where your arrow is, where the other sensor is now there is supposed to be a T fitting that the computer sensor and the oil pressure sensor screw into. You need to find the wire that goes to the gauge that's dangling around somewhere in the mess of wires (a wiring diagram would help ) and replace the two prong thing you have with the proper sending unit, which is in the link that laybackman posted, and just connect the proper wire to it.
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think that is your knock sensor. look at the area just above your oil filter

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #9
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think so, well don't know if they went to far as opposed to removing the wrong part. No, you are not missing anything where your arrow is, where the other sensor is now there is supposed to be a T fitting that the computer sensor and the oil pressure sensor screw into. You need to find the wire that goes to the gauge that's dangling around somewhere in the mess of wires (a wiring diagram would help ) and replace the two prong thing you have with the proper sending unit, which is in the link that laybackman posted, and just connect the proper wire to it.
ok. I found this thread with a picture that has a "T" you spoke of, & I do have an electric choke. if this is an example of what it should look like, I think you have solved it; and it looks like I need that darn "T" part.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/h...-lost-1302883/
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #10
gbeltran
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I think that is your knock sensor. look at the area just above your oil filter
The knock sensor on the 4.2 is located on the intake, just in front of the carb.
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

is this the wire? it was right next to the other plug and has only 1 spade connection.
2013-03-02-19.02.23.jpg  
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:13 PM   #12
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The knock sensor on the 4.2 is located on the intake, just in front of the carb.
Is it? Jeep had to do it differently didn't they Most older engines has them in the lower block. If they were too 'sensitive' you added more teflon tape to the threads so it would not 'hear' as well....

I stand corrected!

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
rubinscube
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Is it? Jeep had to do it differently didn't they Most older engines has them in the lower block. If they were too 'sensitive' you added more teflon tape to the threads so it would not 'hear' as well....

I stand corrected!
LOL the old timer at our jeep dealership here in Colorado said:

"jeeps were put together with what they had on hand at the time it was made".
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:26 PM   #14
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubinscube View Post
is this the wire? it was right next to the other plug and has only 1 spade connection.
That is it1 read the link provded earlier Ir aow howw theb'plumbing is in tthe shape of a T to hook up both sending units

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #15
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f57/h...-lost-1302883/

post #6

Tags
oil , pressure , switch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.