I have new found respect for the 4 angry squirrels.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I have new found respect for the 4 angry squirrels....

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-04-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
XJtheTanK

I have new found respect for the 4 angry squirrels....

As the title says, I have respect for my trusty little 4 banger...I strapped it up to a Lifted F-250, and towed him 10 miles (in town) to the shop. It was a PITA, but it was fun, having the big bumper (custom lift of about 18") of the 250 staring back at me in the rearview. I know you all say the 2.5 is crap or whatever, but I am going to stand behind my engine- it is trusty, and has done everything that I have wanted it to do...and it is my DD!!!

XJtheTanK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
bokey
1999 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on that ... the 2.5's came with 4:10's front and rear so it helps give it a little bigger kick in the ***. I never had any problems with my 4 banger other then a slowly leaking head gasket its great. Doesn't use a drop of oil and preforms great. The only time i've really gotten stuck is when my diffs bottemed out!
bokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
Chris_W_2k5
1996 ZJ 

Yeah, I like my trusty little 2.5, but the gear space between 2nd and 3rd is just way to much. If they shortened third and fourth and extended 5th a bit, it would have been much better. I've had to pull my dads full sized Chev G20 panel van out of a rut going up hill a bit last winter. Pulled it out with no struggle.

I'm in the process of putting an electric fan from a third gen camaro into there. I've got most of the wiring done, just gotta mount it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashnburn80
...so assuming your Jeep is right-side-up you should be ok.
Chris_W_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2007, 02:07 PM   #4
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCMav713
As the title says, I have respect for my trusty little 4 banger...I strapped it up to a Lifted F-250, and towed him 10 miles (in town) to the shop. It was a PITA, but it was fun, having the big bumper (custom lift of about 18") of the 250 staring back at me in the rearview. I know you all say the 2.5 is crap or whatever, but I am going to stand behind my engine- it is trusty, and has done everything that I have wanted it to do...and it is my DD!!!
here's a trick for when you want to pull some heavy stuff on the road, especially up hill. assuming you don't have a locker up front, simply remove the vacuum harness from the front axle disconnect and then put the t-case in 4 low. the shift fork won't engage up front and you'll have low range gearing to help with the pull without worrying about driving in 4wd on pavement. you'll only be able to do about 15-20 mph but sometimes it's worth it.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
King03Kev
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm ashamed to say but in this months, or last?, 4 wheel & offroad they stated that around the year of our Jeeps the 4cyl. actually had more HP than the 6cyl. Not as much torque but a touch more HP. Still like my 4.2 though.
kevyj87 '87 I6 5spd, 215,000+ miles, Herced, Nuttered, Weber, HEI, RE 4", 1" BL, 4:11's, np231, 33x12.5's, SYE & shaft, 1" brown dog mm, home made bumpers front & rear, Ramsey 8,000lb winch
King03Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #6
1stJeepyj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

2 short stories

First story: My son was helping a friend move late at night, raining. They rented a 24 ft. U-Haul, filled it with furnature and got to the new house and proceeded to get stuck in axle deep mud, then blew the auto tranny. Well they called me and I couldn't believe it myself but I pulled it out with my 4 banger.
Second story: My son wrecked his pichup and had it towed to my house with a full size tow truck, the tow truck got stuck, I pulled it out with my 4 banger.
I bought a winch shortly after to save my drivetrain, But I am greatly impressed with the torque of the 2.5L. So are the people I helped.
95 YJ, 2.5L, 32x11.50x15 Dunlop Mud, MSD ignition, 4.0 throttle body w/spacer, Black all rattle can, Taurus electric fan, K/N cone filter, 2" BL, 1" H/D shackles, 1.5" Black Diamond suspension lift, soft top, Harbor Freight 8000Lb winch, Pioneer CD reciever w/4 speakers, Cobra CB, Posi-Loc, Coca Cola Bottle opener, custom rear bumper, 48" Hi-lift Herculined tub, 11 lights in front and two backup driving lights
1stJeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2007, 09:31 PM   #7
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Torque......(laughs uncontrolably)!

I have it bad with the auto tranny and 3.73's.

It moves the Jeep, but there is much to be desired.
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #8
Monk89 94 I4

sentinal02 hit the nail on the head, it takes a few moments to go to the wheel well and pull the front dana 30 plug and then you can hop right into 4L you can start off in 3rd and work your way up to 5th around 2500rpms doing just short of 13mph "cant be sure my spedo is off...."
Monk89 94 I4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by King03Kev
I'm ashamed to say but in this months, or last?, 4 wheel & offroad they stated that around the year of our Jeeps the 4cyl. actually had more HP than the 6cyl. Not as much torque but a touch more HP. Still like my 4.2 though.

I am fairly sure that they are comparing the 4 cylinder to the 4.2 I-6. The 4.0 was rated at 190 HP.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Brown Dog
Vendor

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wouldn't Part with mine. I put a reman in mine when the old one died. I have a WJ for the highway driving, but the four is my old friend.

The Jeep Forum Discount is ON!!

Motor Mounts, Motor Mount Lifts (MML), and Engine Brackets for Jeep
100% HANDCRAFTED IN AMERICA

91YJ 2.5
Brown Dog Mounts and Engine Brackets (Serial Number 1)
2" BL
4.5" Superlift SL
AA SYE
35" GoodYear Mud Terrains
Conteract Balancing Beads
Bulldog front bumper
Best Top seats
"Family" roll bar
25 foot 1/2" log chain
No Top, No Doors (Best Top Safari)
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #11
90yjkrawler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My four is great for small trips and playing around on the trails but it needs a little more for the longer trips and deeper mud. I have pulled a bunch of people out also, I have the Posi-Lok so 2-Lo takes seconds to lock in.Biggest thing I ever pulled out was a 9000 Ford tractor cab over from a ditch with four fat buddies in the back of the Jeep jumping up and down.
Unread 11-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #12
RollinThunder
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_W_2k5 View Post
Yeah, I like my trusty little 2.5, but the gear space between 2nd and 3rd is just way to much. If they shortened third and fourth and extended 5th a bit, it would have been much better. .
Thank you! That drives me nuts! I'm swapping in an NV3550, which isnt much better, oddly enough.
RollinThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
plumber1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

A few months back I went on the Jeepers Jamboree on the Rubicon Trail and saw a lot of different jeeps and a lot of different set ups. At one point after a difficult portion of the trail a lot of people would pull off the trail for a break. After having a beer and a snack got to talking to some fellow jeepers, one of them had swapped in a
V-8, and a few others with 6 cyls. I told them I was running my trusty 4 cyl, the guy with the V-8 looked at my YJ, back at the trail, and again at my little YJ and said " Well done, very well done getting through that spot". I took that as a compliment, my little 4 banger and 4:88's went right through the same as the BIG V-8's.

When you have less power you make better choices of lines on the trail, and break less by not having as much behind the skinny peddle.

White Jeep Club #224
plumber1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
Castr8r
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I popped the hood on mine to connect the compressor leads after running some 4 rated trails and got the surprised comment "Why, that's only half an engine!" I immediately fired back "It's the better half!" I love it! I've made many "built" Jeeps look bad; it just will go places and do things that other Jeeps don't seem to be able to do. I wish I could take credit for being a good driver, but I'm still learning (I've only been doing it off and on for 45 years).
Castr8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #15
4bangerYJ

I love mine! Geared right they can keep up with anything out there.
4bangerYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.