i have a lift with shackles, can I put a 1" body lift as well? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > i have a lift with shackles, can I put a 1" body lift as well?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 02-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
yjJeff
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i have a lift with shackles, can I put a 1" body lift as well?

i just bought a yj and it's got shackles lifting it, i think it's an inch. I was wondering if it'd be cool to put a 1" body lift as well... Would i have to do any additional mods, or can I just throw the 1" body lift on with no problem?

yjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yes you can add a BL, not positive but you might need longer brake lines
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #3
Axl Jack
1994 YJ Wrangler 

You won't need longer brake lines for just 1"....... but you will have to move the fan shroud down an inch. Some people do 1" BL and 1" MML at the same time to prevent that. 'Sup to you. If all you are looking for is 1 extra inch of clearance, consider swapping on some TJ style flares instead.
You know you drive a YJ when it is no longer getting older, but slowly becoming brand new part by part.
Axl Jack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #4
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

You'll be fine.
You may, or may not, have to move your fan shroud.
I'm running a 1" Daystar BL and never moved mine.
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2009, 09:37 PM   #5
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going to do the 1" BL, I would suggest the Daystar 1" body bushings. They are actual body bushings, just 1" taller. This will replace you original body bushings, instead of using them and a normal 1" body lift. If your regular bushings are like any of ours, they NEED replacing. Not more extra work, because, you can remove them when you jack the body up. Wished I did that for mine instead of getting new bushings AND a 1" body lift, oh, well, live and learn.

Jerry
Unread 02-02-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

While doing a 1" BL can be fairly simple it can quickly turn into a nightmare.

Search: rusty body bolts.

If your body bolts are rusty then it will turn a simple 1 day project, in to the job from hell. You will wish you had just bought a new 2-4" lift kit instead.

I found out the hard way attempting to remove body bolts from a rusty car years ago.

All I'm saying is take a look at the bottom of your jeep before you order a kit. Not a bad idea to try a wrench on one or two.
Unread 02-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGC_FAN View Post
While doing a 1" BL can be fairly simple it can quickly turn into a nightmare.

Search: rusty body bolts.

If your body bolts are rusty then it will turn a simple 1 day project, in to the job from hell. You will wish you had just bought a new 2-4" lift kit instead.

I found out the hard way attempting to remove body bolts from a rusty car years ago.

All I'm saying is take a look at the bottom of your jeep before you order a kit. Not a bad idea to try a wrench on one or two.

Below is a "cut & paste" copy of a reply I've made in a few posts, concerning the body lift installation you're considering.

Regardless of whether you are installing a body lift, or just changing out the cruddy stock mounts that are broken, here is something that may help. It's something I've learned over the years, the hard way, naturally.

I've installed a half dozen or so body lifts on YJ's & TJ's. I found a simple little trick using the PB Blaster that will save a lot of time & aggravation. Spraying just the heads of the bolts won't help. If you look at the 11 body mounts, there is one under the radiator support and then 10 (5 along each side) on the frame rails, starting behind the front wheels. The forward-most mounts can be sprayed near the threads by removing a plastic shield & spraying the nut area. Moving rearward, the next three body bolt nuts are in-accessible, under the floorboards. Inside the Jeep, locate the area of the floor right above each body mount & drill a tiny hole in the floor just big enough to get the spray can straw in, and spray generously. Lastly, the ones in the rear corners of the tub can be accessed by removing the plastic shield under the body's rear corner. Look above the mount and you'll see that the body nut area is boxed in with sheet metal. Again, drill a tiny hole & spray liberally.

Do this daily for about a week prior to the body lift install, and things will go much smoother! The holes can be filled with just a small bit of RTV sealer later.

I learned this the hard way, after breaking several body bolts in my '91 YJ.

If you have any reservations about drilling small holes in your floor, I'll show how big of a hole you'll need to dig out the body nut after the bolt breaks!

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:49 AM   #8
yjJeff
1991 YJ Wrangler 

thanks for the reply guys. im gonna get on that pretty soon. think im gonna first herculine the interior and bondo/paint (ie. body work) before i get into the lift. easy stuff first. baby steps, y'know...
yjJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #9
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Sounds like a plan to me. I am doing all my rust repairs before I get too involved in major lifts.

A side note, since you are stock right now, I would avoid getting a Motor mount lift at the same time as the body lift. It really is not needed and Brown Dog himself (a motor mount lift designer) even stated to avoid it if you do not have a lift kit installed.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.