I have a drive shaft problem=2 drive shafts in less than one week!!!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I have a drive shaft problem=2 drive shafts in less than one week!!!!!!

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
machoman

I have a drive shaft problem=2 drive shafts in less than one week!!!!!!

hey guys

ok last sunday i was just about to spin my tires and then POW....i broke the joint on the rear drive shaft...got it fixed the next day...$50 bucks in total....and last night in town i stop at a stop sign and i go to leave (slowly) and i here it againe!!! POW POW im like WTF......im starting to double think this jeep thing....money does not grow on tree for me...

so is this a comon problem on jeeps or what?

Unread 06-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #2
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Assuming your talking about a stock D-line, and according to your sig your not lifted... did the same joint break, or the other one? Its usually a good idea to replace both joints at the same time. If its the same joint, then I would blame the installer... this is not a common prob. if your not lifted. If your lifted or modified, then thats a whole 'nuther animal.

WoRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
machoman

i only have a 2" body lift....yes its the same joint that broke and my d-line is all stock and so is my engine
Unread 06-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #4
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I would agree that it was an installation problem. Maybe the joint was not seated properly causing it to bind. Try again.

Even on lifted Jeeps they won't break that easily. In fact they will only break if they bind and can't turn the way the shaft is making them (which I think is what happened to you), or if too much force/torque is applied, which is rare except in extreme situations.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.

Last edited by paultyler; 06-04-2006 at 09:27 PM..
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
crazymon01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i would definately take it back... have them replace it(at no cost to u)... shouldnt have broke like that from normal take off... i am lifted runnin 32's locked in the rear and i have spun my rears several times on dry pavement and never screwed up a u joint. luckily i havent broke anythin yet.. (knock on wood)
307 -> 411 gear swap
lock rite locker on the dana 35
33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson radial MTZ
4.5" Rubicon Express heavy duty Suspension Lift
currie boomerang shackles
8,000 lbs. Winch
bikini top
tonneau cover
pictures?? http://www.cardomain.com/id/ironm98
crazymon01@aol.com
crazymon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure the driveshaft itself is not damaged. Check for dents, make sure its not bent and make sure the joints are in phase. Meaning make sure they are lined up perfectly. easy way to check that would be to set it on a flat workbench and have it resting on the ujoint caps, there should be no gaps under the caps.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #7
MCJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

also if the problem continues think about changing to the ublot system instead of the bolt and strap setup. also make sure the shop locktights the bolts.
Unread 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
machoman

oh yeah last friday i rode about 20 miles on the highway and my jeep sounded and felt like it had big knarly tires on it...???would the drive shaft cause this kind of vibration?? on the same day i broke the joint in town i could also feel the vibration.....i guess it was just poor job of installing it....what should i say to get the job done for free???
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:17 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like the driveshaft is either bent, needs balanced or it was installed wrong. When the driveshaft is installed the rear universal should be seated in the pinion yoke. There are tabs on either side of the pinion yoke and the universal should be seated in between them. The bolts that hold the straps that hold the universal should have lock tight on them and the straps should be right up against the yoke. Hope this makes sense it is hard to explain. Sorry I can not find any pictures. The shop that installed it should warrenty it seeing how it has not been that long. If not find another mechanic!
Unread 06-07-2006, 12:25 PM   #10
BudmanV6

Check the slip yoke. I twisted one once. Did a burnout on the street with my new bfg at's, and they had a lot more traction than my old trail ta's. Started getting a roaring in my drivetrain with lots of vibes. Checked it out and one of my u-joints was blown. I put in a new u-joint and a while later saw a wet patch of pavement which seemed like an open invitation for a lot of gas off the line at a stoplight. Well the tires didnt spin, and the driveshaft poped...err i mean twisted up like an ice cream cone. Further inspection revealed that i twisted the yoke with the first burnout, and then when the jeep squated down on the second burnout it compressed the driveshaft and colapsed it. Word of advice, that stupid set of 31" bfg's at's had too mcuh traction on the street.

1992 Wrangler Sahara, 4.0L, 5spd, RE 4.5 XD lift, Fox remote reservoir shox, 33x12.5-15 BFGoodrich All-Terrains, 15x8 black rock crawlers, JK rubicon pneumatic swaybar, JKS quick disconnect track bar, Teraflex HD SYE, Tom Woods driveshaft, Ford 8.8 w/ 4.10 gears and arb locker, D30 w/ 4.11 gears and arb locker, York 210R OBA w/ Kilby mount, Dynomax Ultra Flow SS muffler, Alterstart 165A alternator, TJ flares, and Poison Spyder rocker knockers.
BudmanV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
tjorbust
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You drive a jeep not a sports car... the only time your tires should be spinning is while a) axel deep in mud b) axel deep in snow or c) not connected to the ground cause you are hung up on something (trees, rocks, other vehicles, and man made obstacles included.) ok: roller ball gravel and slick icy road conditions are also acceptable. Who the F does burn outs for fun on $200 tires anyway???
tjorbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

BudmanV6 that's who. if he wants to ruin his tires and blow driveshafts, who are we to judge. my only question is was it fun? if so eff it it's not your bank account and huge infected looking cut on the back of your hand.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:13 PM   #13
Louie4
Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've done some gnarly (and very dumb) stuff on the trails and I'm always surprised I haven't busted any driveshaft u-joints yet. I'm surprised you broke yours that easily.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:36 PM   #14
Alabamaranger
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sure U got the right U-Joint in the rear? I somehow got one a fraction smaller and it slip out of the clamp (D35).
Unread 12-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjorbust View Post
You drive a jeep not a sports car... the only time your tires should be spinning is while a) axel deep in mud b) axel deep in snow or c) not connected to the ground cause you are hung up on something (trees, rocks, other vehicles, and man made obstacles included.) ok: roller ball gravel and slick icy road conditions are also acceptable. Who the F does burn outs for fun on $200 tires anyway???
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_breaker_5 View Post
BudmanV6 that's who. if he wants to ruin his tires and blow driveshafts, who are we to judge. my only question is was it fun? if so eff it it's not your bank account and huge infected looking cut on the back of your hand.
Its not like he was spinning his tires ... FOUR YEARS ago or anything.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.