Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

I have a drive shaft problem=2 drive shafts in less than one week!!!!!!

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  UltimatE 
#1 ·
hey guys

ok last sunday i was just about to spin my tires and then POW....i broke the joint on the rear drive shaft...got it fixed the next day...$50 bucks in total....and last night in town i stop at a stop sign and i go to leave (slowly) and i here it againe!!! POW POW im like WTF......im starting to double think this jeep thing....money does not grow on tree for me...

so is this a comon problem on jeeps or what?

#2 ·
Assuming your talking about a stock D-line, and according to your sig your not lifted... did the same joint break, or the other one? Its usually a good idea to replace both joints at the same time. If its the same joint, then I would blame the installer... this is not a common prob. if your not lifted. If your lifted or modified, then thats a whole 'nuther animal. :thumbsup:

WoRM :dunno:

#4 · (Edited)
I would agree that it was an installation problem. Maybe the joint was not seated properly causing it to bind. Try again.

Even on lifted Jeeps they won't break that easily. In fact they will only break if they bind and can't turn the way the shaft is making them (which I think is what happened to you), or if too much force/torque is applied, which is rare except in extreme situations.

#5 ·
i would definately take it back... have them replace it(at no cost to u)... shouldnt have broke like that from normal take off... i am lifted runnin 32's locked in the rear and i have spun my rears several times on dry pavement and never screwed up a u joint. luckily i havent broke anythin yet.. (knock on wood)

#6 ·
Make sure the driveshaft itself is not damaged. Check for dents, make sure its not bent and make sure the joints are in phase. Meaning make sure they are lined up perfectly. easy way to check that would be to set it on a flat workbench and have it resting on the ujoint caps, there should be no gaps under the caps.

#8 ·
oh yeah last friday i rode about 20 miles on the highway and my jeep sounded and felt like it had big knarly tires on it...???would the drive shaft cause this kind of vibration?? on the same day i broke the joint in town i could also feel the vibration.....i guess it was just poor job of installing it....what should i say to get the job done for free???

#9 ·
Sounds to me like the driveshaft is either bent, needs balanced or it was installed wrong. When the driveshaft is installed the rear universal should be seated in the pinion yoke. There are tabs on either side of the pinion yoke and the universal should be seated in between them. The bolts that hold the straps that hold the universal should have lock tight on them and the straps should be right up against the yoke. Hope this makes sense it is hard to explain. Sorry I can not find any pictures. The shop that installed it should warrenty it seeing how it has not been that long. If not find another mechanic!

#10 ·
Check the slip yoke. I twisted one once. Did a burnout on the street with my new bfg at's, and they had a lot more traction than my old trail ta's. Started getting a roaring in my drivetrain with lots of vibes. Checked it out and one of my u-joints was blown. I put in a new u-joint and a while later saw a wet patch of pavement which seemed like an open invitation for a lot of gas off the line at a stoplight. Well the tires didnt spin, and the driveshaft poped...err i mean twisted up like an ice cream cone. Further inspection revealed that i twisted the yoke with the first burnout, and then when the jeep squated down on the second burnout it compressed the driveshaft and colapsed it. Word of advice, that stupid set of 31" bfg's at's had too mcuh traction on the street.

#11 ·
You drive a jeep not a sports car... the only time your tires should be spinning is while a) axel deep in mud b) axel deep in snow or c) not connected to the ground cause you are hung up on something (trees, rocks, other vehicles, and man made obstacles included.) ok: roller ball gravel and slick icy road conditions are also acceptable. Who the F does burn outs for fun on $200 tires anyway???

#15 ·
BudmanV6 that's who. if he wants to ruin his tires and blow driveshafts, who are we to judge. my only question is was it fun? if so eff it it's not your bank account and huge infected looking cut on the back of your hand.
Its not like he was spinning his tires ... FOUR YEARS ago or anything. :rofl::rofl::rtft:

#12 ·
BudmanV6 that's who. if he wants to ruin his tires and blow driveshafts, who are we to judge. my only question is was it fun? if so eff it it's not your bank account and huge infected looking cut on the back of your hand.

#14 ·
Sure U got the right U-Joint in the rear? I somehow got one a fraction smaller and it slip out of the clamp (D35).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.